Management When does SWEENEY decide and let us know

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Are you forgetting that this team has almost 0 ability to score on Braden Holtby? The guy lives in the head of this Bruins team regardless. Also saying the past means nothing is foolish. Do we just ignore how good Chicago has been the last 5+ years? Do we just discredit the fact that they have a championship pedigree and the talent, leadership and experience to whoop anyone? I get what you mean, but come on.

I don't know man...

They just "don't scare me".

:laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Noones really talking about us vs them. I dont believe they have the horses to get out of the east, whether they're playing us or not. There are a couple of clubs in the metro that will give them a lot of trouble over a 7 game series.

Montreal are certainly all-in and have been for a while. Noone is just going to pony up a couple of quality wingers at the deadline for them without them giving up significant guys in return is what im saying.

They are in our division, and they are the favourites in our division, so of course we should look at what they are doing and potential Montreal vs Bruins playoff series.
I hope Sweeney is on his game at the deadline and makes the smart moves, moves future in mind.

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't know that he needs to decide anything.

In fact, if I were him, I'd probably just role with the status quo and see what happens with this team.
If that means letting Eriksson walk at the end of the season as opposed to getting compensation then so be it

I understand this line of thinking mostly because it's very commonplace, but I do think it's a losing formula. This suggestion of "just get into the playoffs and see what happens" is a nice little sales pitch but it's mostly ********. We all know that.

The cutthroat decision that can set you up to really compete is being willing to cut bait. By any reasonable standard this defense is bad to mediocre, and bad to mediocre defenses don't win Cups. So either you get this defense to another level before the deadline, or "see what happens in the playoffs" is basically "sell a round, maybe two of tickets and lie about our chances".

So unless Sweeney finds a way to add a real top-pairing defenseman without stripping the forward group, I'd like to think he'd be willing to move Loui, Chara or anyone else in an effort to build a roster in 1+ seasons that doesn't have any glaring holes. I hate the idea of "Sinden playoff-banner" management, keeping their fingers crossed that a draft pick pans out at some point. It's just robbing fans.

77bestever*

I don't know man...

They just "don't scare me".

:laugh:

I'm guessing they scared Thornton, Paille, Campbell, Lucic, Smith, Soderberg, Hamilton, and whoever but I don't think guys like Vitrano ,Connelly, Hayes, Beleskey, Ferrarro, Miller, Morrow, and a few others even know what Holtby has done....Different team, only fans are scared.These new guys wont be.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
If that means letting Eriksson walk at the end of the season as opposed to getting compensation then so be it.

i don't think this team is good enough to afford that opportunity cost. If they let Louie walk for nothing, within a couple of years everyone will be questioning why, and what the team would be like if they had traded him.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
D has 3 playing who, IMO have shown get eaten alive vs fast teams on more nights than not but I have to say, love this teams energy for the most part, never feel ripped off nor shut the TV off after 1 period like I did far too often last year

There`s no way Sweeney can`t see what many of us see or is fooled to believe this team has all the necessary pieces.

Not so sure Sweeney see's it as the D is slow. I think if that were the case then
Morrow would be in over one of Trotman, K. Miller, or McQuaid.
I know Sweeney gets the players, and Claude decides who plays, but if Sweeney
really thinks a specific player should be in the line up I imagine he would make it
happen.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Not so sure Sweeney see's it as the D is slow. I think if that were the case then
Morrow would be in over one of Trotman, K. Miller, or McQuaid.
I know Sweeney gets the players, and Claude decides who plays, but if Sweeney
really thinks a specific player should be in the line up I imagine he would make it
happen.

Maybe Sweeney forces Clodes hand with a trade.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I understand this line of thinking mostly because it's very commonplace, but I do think it's a losing formula. This suggestion of "just get into the playoffs and see what happens" is a nice little sales pitch but it's mostly ********. We all know that.

The cutthroat decision that can set you up to really compete is being willing to cut bait. By any reasonable standard this defense is bad to mediocre, and bad to mediocre defenses don't win Cups. So either you get this defense to another level before the deadline, or "see what happens in the playoffs" is basically "sell a round, maybe two of tickets and lie about our chances".

So unless Sweeney finds a way to add a real top-pairing defenseman without stripping the forward group, I'd like to think he'd be willing to move Loui, Chara or anyone else in an effort to build a roster in 1+ seasons that doesn't have any glaring holes. I hate the idea of "Sinden playoff-banner" management, keeping their fingers crossed that a draft pick pans out at some point. It's just robbing fans.

I kind of think you cant let guys walk but you also cant trade players for youth at the deadline when you are in the thick of things. He should be figuring out now rather he can and wanted to sign loui and other guys. Move them soon or keep them if you think you want to resign them and have a good chance of doing so. Obviously if bruins fell out of the playoff race it makes his job easier . You can also obviously make hockey deals if you are in it but if say boston was like 5th or 6th in the conference and they trade loui for picks you are just going to get bombarded and how often does this ever happen with an actual key player.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Here's the thing for me. I'm in favor for doing whatever is best for the team, but you have to balance short and long term. Sometimes just getting in and having a good series is important ala 2008. It helps establish respectability and can provide a foundation.

I don't feel like you have to get compensation for every single expiring UFA. I'm fine with letting a guy play out his contract if he can contribute to short term goals. It's not that different that dealing assets for an expiring contract in my eyes. The NHL playoffs are so unpredictable that even flawed teams can make a run.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
The Rangers are no better then Boston.Montreal hammered them twice this year too.Washington to me is cut above the rest but if Boston added a bit of help never know.Without Sweeney saying anything I think his moves or decisions will let everyone know his thoughts come March.Just my opinions.:)

When you can ice the defense core ranger can when they are healthy , they are much better than us as of now.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Our forward and goalie groups are as good as you can hope in a cap league.

D is the question mark. I think the younger guys are improving. Its going to be our weakness but I don't think its an insurmountable one.

The East isn't too intimidating we can beat all these taems in a 7 game series.

I don't really see how we add a legit top pairing D man without giving up too much before the deadline. If we can only get someone mediocre I hold off unless injuries force us to make a move for a guy for morale purposes as well as needing a body back there.

Its hard to give this team a really high chance at 'winning the CUp' but if you follow hockey and the other teams in the East and know there strengths and weaknesses you are being dumb if you don't give us a legitimate shot to make the Finals and get out of the east weaknesses be damned. We almost did it in 2010 and got blown out by Chicago with friggen Hunwick and Wideman logging HUGE minutes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Here's the thing for me. I'm in favor for doing whatever is best for the team, but you have to balance short and long term. Sometimes just getting in and having a good series is important ala 2008. It helps establish respectability and can provide a foundation.

I don't feel like you have to get compensation for every single expiring UFA. I'm fine with letting a guy play out his contract if he can contribute to short term goals. It's not that different that dealing assets for an expiring contract in my eyes. The NHL playoffs are so unpredictable that even flawed teams can make a run.

We just did that with Soda last year, Lou assets could be used for something great, that helps Boston for years.

If it looks like this team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs I would sell Lou.
Not selling him would be even bigger mistake than not selling Soda.
Our prospect pool still has plenty of holes.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Our forward and goalie groups are as good as you can hope in a cap league.

D is the question mark. I think the younger guys are improving. Its going to be our weakness but I don't think its an insurmountable one.

The East isn't too intimidating we can beat all these taems in a 7 game series.

I don't really see how we add a legit top pairing D man without giving up too much before the deadline. If we can only get someone mediocre I hold off unless injuries force us to make a move for a guy for morale purposes as well as needing a body back there.

Its hard to give this team a really high chance at 'winning the CUp' but if you follow hockey and the other teams in the East and know there strengths and weaknesses you are being dumb if you don't give us a legitimate shot to make the Finals and get out of the east weaknesses be damned. We almost did it in 2010 and got blown out by Chicago with friggen Hunwick and Wideman logging HUGE minutes.

I don't think you mean Chicago, but I don't know who it was in 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad