When does MacT crack?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
All grinders (with the exception of Comrie and Hemsky), and I don't see how any of them actually developed under MacT. Hemsky was what he was, Comrie, Pisani and Horcoff were all in their 20s when they joined the team, and Stoll didn't really become a good player until he went to LA.

What? Stoll was excellent the year after the Cup run, one of the few bright spots in that year. It was only when he got concussed that his game went downhill. His best years were with the Oilers.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
What? Stoll was excellent the year after the Cup run, one of the few bright spots in that year. It was only when he got concussed that his game went downhill. His best years were with the Oilers.

I concede defeat. MacT was wonderful for the development of young players. They were always put in appropriate situations and the Oilers developed numerous young stars that left the team as significantly better players than they joined the team as.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The manager hires the coach, and this team isn't right. Theres a reason we haven't won anything in 5 years. Soft 1 dimensional players mixed with d who are unable to move the puck. We need to change the coach and swap out 3-5 players to instil a fresh new culture.

I've never been a big fan of blaming the GM for the coaches failures. Sure MacT hired Eakins and he needs to live up to that mistake. I still think Eakins has a place in the league (probably out east to a veteran team) but he isn't what the young Oilers squad needs. Eakins on paper made sense. He was supposed to be a guy that understood young players and was a better tactical coach than Kruger. I actually think it's kind of funny, if a player forgets to do the things that got him NHL, he gets sent to the minors. However, when Eakins forgets what he said/did to get the job he still gets to stay up.

Eakins needs to stop blaming everyone else and take responsibility for his own shortcomings.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I've never been a big fan of blaming the GM for the coaches failures. Sure MacT hired Eakins and he needs to live up to that mistake. I still think Eakins has a place in the league (probably out east to a veteran team) but he isn't what the young Oilers squad needs. Eakins on paper made sense. He was supposed to be a guy that understood young players and was a better tactical coach than Kruger. I actually think it's kind of funny, if a player forgets to do the things that got him NHL, he gets sent to the minors. However, when Eakins forgets what he said/did to get the job he still gets to stay up.

Eakins needs to stop blaming everyone else and take responsibility for his own shortcomings.

Eakins dint do nuffin. It was the bounces. They just didn't go our way.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
I'm all for tanking. Take McDavid. Get Nicholson to lure Babcock to Edmonton. If Babcock wants the GM position too then give it to the man. McDavid alone should entice Babock to come in. He'll get to work with a generation talent. If he wants to get paid 10M then so be it.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
I hate to say it but I think secretly once Hall got injured they basically now are hoping for McDavid/Eichel.

It's the only thing that can save their jobs (ugh) at this point. Maybe. No GM is going to gift wrap us some season saving trade unless they are the ones fleecing us.

Yes tank this yr. Who cares if we make any improvements this yr with a few more wins. We'll just be right back in the same situation next yr this time. Grab Gretzky Part II. Who knows that type of player might or might not be available for another 30+ yrs or ever.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Where is that piece of paper that said he was a better tactical coach, and understood young players. If I can answer that myself please, ...it was the Eastern media yapping about what a great job he did with Kadri, THATS IT! It was hype for no reason.

Renney was making clear progress and should still be our coach, Ralph as assistant had a great PP. I think most have read what Renney said about being fired, after reading that, it all makes sense why nothing changes. The whole management needs to be replaced ASAP, or we will never get good people to come work. The word is out big time.

Also, who signs a rookie coach to a 4 year contract. Has that ever happened in NHL history?

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
past to present

Eakins = George Burnette

Eberle = David Oliver

Arco = Brian Swanson

RNH = Weight

Hall = Messier almost

Drai = Arnott almost

Yakupov = Klima

Niikitin = Mironov

Hunt = MAB

Perron = Ciger

Hendricks = Moreau

Fayne = Huddy

Justin Schultz = Norm MacIver

Aulie = Cross

Scrivens = Tugnutt

Fasth = Peter Ing

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
Where is that piece of paper that said he was a better tactical coach, and understood young players. If I can answer that myself please, ...it was the Eastern media yapping about what a great job he did with Kadri, THATS IT! It was hype for no reason.

Renney was making clear progress and should still be our coach, Ralph as assistant had a great PP. I think most have read what Renney said about being fired, after reading that, it all makes sense why nothing changes. The whole management needs to be replaced ASAP, or we will never get good people to come work. The word is out big time.

Also, who signs a rookie coach to a 4 year contract. Has that ever happened in NHL history?

Canucks followed. Desjardins was given a 4yr contract too.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I think that Katz has order Lowe and MacT to tank as long as team stays in Rexall. If you have Arco- Leon as your 2-3 centers and Marincin-Klefbom as top4. Losing seems intentional

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Not that an anecdote matters, but I met MacT when I was 11 years old and he was a temperamental son of a *****.
The calm educated demeanour he has with the media isn't his actual persona. He doesn't care about his track record because he's convinced he's perfect. Just like Eakins. Just like Lowe. Just like Katz.

This **** show is never going to end. I've made myself one promise as a fan of hockey -
Either the Oilers make the playoffs or my home state Seattle gets an NHL team. And I will ride or die to the end with them.

I'm guessing Seattle.

Gambl0r83*

I think Buffalo, Carolina, and Florida could help us out as it means they have a better chance of landing 1st overall.

Not so much Florida. Stingy team, allowed least goals in the entire east, and number 2 in that department in the league.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
past to present

Eakins = George Burnette

Eberle = David Oliver

Arco = Brian Swanson

RNH = Weight

Hall = Messier almost

Drai = Arnott almost

Yakupov = Klima

Niikitin = Mironov