Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
hmmm. interesting.

Toby Peterson --> Brad Hunt.
_______ --> Mark Arcobello.

you may have hit on something.

Nah, Eakins doesn't like players like this because MacT does. MacT likes Eakins because Eakins likes the same kind of role players and was one.

This isn't macT telling Eakins what to do. It was MacT hiring a freak clone.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Nah, Eakins doesn't like players like this because MacT does. MacT likes Eakins because Eakins likes the same kind of role players and was one.

I suppose, but mact may have liked him because Eakins said something like: ' I would value your input' where as Kruger was less interested

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
MacT is gonna crack and make some horrendous trades where we lose a ton of value, making all of the seasons of futility worthless. I guarantee this happens unless Katz cans them all first.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I suppose, but mact may have liked him because Eakins said something like: ' I would value your input' where as Kruger was less interested

MacT stated that part of the hire was Eakins talking so much like himself. That he saw himself and his views in Eakins. That's when I first got scared of the hire.

Reflection on self is a poor reason to hire anybody and may even be a sign of arrogance.

Which this org oddly enough still has lots of.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The only thing Mac T has done this season is make me wonder HOW MUCH of an idiot he is.

I've said for a long time it looks like Mac T is going to stick with Eakins to the bitter end. I am not sure why he hitched his carriage to this lame horse or why he would ever think to die on Eakins Hill but it sure seems like that is what he is going to do.

If he really was going to fire Eakins it should have been after their terrible start.

So if by crack you mean start trading away roster players I think we can expect that any day now.

Perron has been absolute junk but is coming of an injury and may still be fighting off the effects of that hard hit in preseason.

Eberle has been absolute junk but will be here till he decides he wants out.

Shultz has been terribad and will probably get an extension in the range of 6+ years 6+ mill per year.

Hunt and Acton will play more NHL games on this team despite being over the top, oh so obviously inept at the NHL level that a blind person could see it.

Marincin and Perron. Two of our best last year and players that should not be considered trade bait will be the first to go. Petry will be held on to and lost for nothing at the end of the year and have a half dozen healthy scratches that make no sense to boot.

In short Mac T was on crack when he hired Eakins and has indulged in far too much crack to this point and will only go deeper into the rabbit hole before someone is forced to go in after him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The only thing Mac T has done this season is make me wonder HOW MUCH of an idiot he is.

I've said for a long time it looks like Mac T is going to stick with Eakins to the bitter end. I am not sure why he hitched his carriage to this lame horse or why he would ever think to die on Eakins Hill but it sure seems like that is what he is going to do.

If he really was going to fire Eakins it should have been after their terrible start.

So if by crack you mean start trading away roster players I think we can expect that any day now.

Perron has been absolute junk but is coming of an injury and may still be fighting off the effects of that hard hit in preseason.

Eberle has been absolute junk but will be here till he decides he wants out.

Shultz has been terribad and will probably get an extension in the range of 6+ years 6+ mill per year.

Hunt and Acton will play more NHL games on this team despite being over the top, oh so obviously inept at the NHL level that a blind person could see it.

Marincin and Perron. Two of our best last year and players that should not be considered trade bait will be the first to go. Petry will be held on to and lost for nothing at the end of the year and have a half dozen healthy scratches that make no sense to boot.

In short Mac T was on crack when he hired Eakins and has indulged in far too much crack to this point and will only go deeper into the rabbit hole before someone is forced to go in after him.

I was waiting for this comment.. 3 times I incorrectly read "smoke" into the thread title..

As per rationale is it possible this org now pulled a Machiavellian stunt yet again?

Its pretty evident now that Tambo was here as pathetic hire essentially placeholding a guaranteed position to the returning MacT. With the thought being that Tambo was so bad nobody would complain or question it. haha

I've never seen Messier around here so much since he was playing here. This rumor continues to have some legs. I don't know why Mess would want this but he's sure been sniffing around.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Surely to God, MacT can't sit idle and let a 2nd season slide away into the Abyss after just one month. Can he?

We are watch a carbon copy of last year. They will be effectively out of it by Novembrance Day. For the love of God (and, yes, I am refer to Him on purpose), throw us a friggin' bone. Throw the players a bone.

I say he trades a core player first, for a goalie. This is a core problem, a goaltending problem, more than coaching or anything else. Get a good goalie, change up the core first.

It takes atleast two to make a deal. You really think MacT has been sitting on his hands all this time? How many other big deals have been made this season?
What elite goalie is really available? we want Cam Ward?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
MacTavish needs to wake up, put his ego behind him and fire Eakins. Everyone knows he doesn't want to do it because he'd look like an idiot after having so much confidence in him but it could save his own job. Other than this hiring, MacTavish has been decent. This is the one thing that is making him look horrible.

There is no other explanation for why everyone other than Hall regressed once Eakins took over. Or how our PP went from tops in the league to bottom when he came in. Krueger wasn't even a good coach and he got way more out of this team. Imagine what an experienced group of coaches would do for these guys. I guarantee they all look at Eakins as a coach they can't trust. He's done nothing in the NHL, or the AHL for that matter.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I hope he wakes up soon and makes a major trade. For a team thats been so bad for so long theres no excuse for us not to have made at least one major trade in the last 5 years.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
MacT stated that part of the hire was Eakins talking so much like himself. That he saw himself and his views in Eakins. That's when I first got scared of the hire.

Reflection on self is a poor reason to hire anybody and may even be a sign of arrogance.

true. and bad judgement. you're trying to build a managment team. why have about of the same guy?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i hope he trades eakins for a steaming pile of doop

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

May? Wow, you just nailed it.

MacT hired Eakins, because MacT thought his coaching views were the best. He didn't want any independent thought, he wanted a freaking clone.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
MacTavish needs to wake up, put his ego behind him and fire Eakins. Everyone knows he doesn't want to do it because he'd look like an idiot after having so much confidence in him but it could save his own job. Other than this hiring, MacTavish has been decent. This is the one thing that is making him look horrible.

There is no other explanation for why everyone other than Hall regressed once Eakins took over. Or how our PP went from tops in the league to bottom when he came in. Krueger wasn't even a good coach and he got way more out of this team. Imagine what an experienced group of coaches would do for these guys. I guarantee they all look at Eakins as a coach they can't trust. He's done nothing in the NHL, or the AHL for that matter.

its sad that this facesaving stubbornness might sink this rebuild. who knows? maybe their problems aren't as bad as we think. its so hard to tell with this guy at the helm.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
May? Wow, you just nailed it.

MacT hired Eakins, because MacT thought his coaching views were the best. He didn't want any independent thought, he wanted a freaking clone.

so what is wrong with that? most employers hire the same way.. Eakins probably chose the assistants who shared the same ideas as him. The only issue I had with Eakins was his lack of NHL experience.. lack of success is now the biggest issue with him and he should face the axe if it continues.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Mact crack?

That would require some grounding in reality, I doubt he even knows what decade it is :laugh:

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
so what is wrong with that? most employers hire the same way.. Eakins probably chose the assistants who shared the same ideas as him. The only issue I had with Eakins was his lack of NHL experience.. lack of success is now the biggest issue with him and he should face the axe if it continues.

Because most employers, in multi-million dollar corporations, rise through the ranks in some sort of competitive meritocratic environment to get to the point where they are in charge of hiring other key employees. In the case of the Oilers, Mr. MacTavish was handed a job based on sheer cronyism.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Eakins is far from a Mac T clone, coaching wise. Mac T was actually a pretty good coach until he ended up with a depleted lineup. Even then he seemed to get a lot out of the players.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Because most employers, in multi-million dollar corporations, rise through the ranks in some sort of competitive meritocratic environment to get to the point where they are in charge of hiring other key employees. In the case of the Oilers, Mr. MacTavish was handed a job based on sheer cronyism.

Hockey is different from most of these corporations. Tallon, Sather, Lowe, Yzerman, Nieuwendyk and many if not most GMs of past have been ex players moving up via "cronyism" after their playing careers are over.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
we really could have used ryan miller, a goalie that doesnt need a great defensive scheme to come up huge. he stands on his head more than not and would be a great backbone for this team.

Just IMO - but why in the hell would Miller have signed with the Oilers? Is he a closet masochist who likes getting kicked in the nuts?

All that would be missing is a ball gag and the gimp mask! (Would be a pretty funny goalie mask though!)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
A loss to Buffalo should be a breaking point. That would put us 5 games under .500 (safely assuming a loss to Boston) and in the most pathetic way possible, losing to a team that makes the Lowe/Tambo tank job teams look all-world.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Just IMO - but why in the hell would Miller have signed with the Oilers? Is he a closet masochist who likes getting kicked in the nuts?

All that would be missing is a ball gag and the gimp mask! (Would be a pretty funny goalie mask though!)

oh i dont think he would have signed here at all but he would be the perfect goalie for us, we should have signed tim thomas as well

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If you actually think that I'd like to have some of the kool aid your drinking. Nikitin was a healthy scratch for N. Schultz, Fayne is alright but doesn't have any skill that sticks out. Fayne is the definition of average top 4 dman in the NHL.

It's funny that you mention Nick Schultz. He is essentially playing as a number four in Philadelphia.

I'm just tired of the excuses. Other teams are icing terrible defences and are winning. Philly had Luke Shenn as their number 3, Schultz as the number 4, Coli as their number 5 etc. Tonight Boston has 4 rookies and is 3-0. Good teams battle through things and bad teams just make excuses.

MacT shouldn't have to give Eakins are freaking all star team to make his way out of last place in the west.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad