When did the NHL stopped having any credibility for you?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Human error is one thing, what we see when we play Montreal and Toronto on CBC is another.

I'm still undecided if I'll ever watch another Sens game on CBC against either of those two clubs.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Human error is one thing, what we see when we play Montreal and Toronto on CBC is another.

I'm still undecided if I'll ever watch another Sens game on CBC against either of those two clubs.

I'm with you. Human error is one thing, having it occur every Saturday between 7 and 10 PM if we're playing Montreal or Toronto is another.

Far too often to be coincidental at this point.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I've never seen a team get the short end of the stick so frequently in my life. We've had to kill 127 more PP opportunities then we've received so far this season... That's just ridiculous.

And LOL at that Silfverberg non-call, where were those refs when MTL had 3 players in Lehners crease with 5 seconds on the clock?

It's absolute nonsense how often we have these 'calculated mistakes' costing us pts in the standings.

The NHL is such a ****ing joke....

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like it, we're so bada$$! We have to beat teams AND the refs, gives me a double sense of satisfaction when we do.

As we progress through this rebuild and get more competitive, we can collectively feel great about it; When we're at our best, even the refs can't stop us.

Look at it this way, they can get us down now because we're young and vulnerable, but we're also learning hard lessons. The time is coming where Spezza can just laugh at the ref and his ridiculous call, say "nice try", and skate away... Two points safely in the bag.

Rationalization and perspective changes have allowed me to be excited moving forward. Mental magic is my friend ;) As for last game, I'm channelling that frustration into future self-satisfaction.

(Remember how awesome we all felt when the Canadian women won gold that year at the Olympics over the yanks, and the refs? Pure Gold! Hahahaha)

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
I find myself watching less and less NHL, but I will never completely back out of watching in general. For me, there needs to be some improvements with the officiating to take this game seriously. Back in the day teams used to hate eachother, and the competition level was always high. Nowdays members of the opposing teams are having dinner the night before a big game, laughing it up out on the ice during the pre game. Its hard to really get into a game when they are just going through the motions. The media has to chat up rivalry games just to prove the players may give a rats azz about the game on the tv that night etc.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
When the Penguins got Crosby.

How convenient that the team on the verge of folding gets the greatest player since Lindros in a lottery.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The nhl has the best refs in the world... It could be worse

Hockey is a fast game... Lots of human error

Agreed. Hockey has to be the toughest sport to officiate. There are always going to be terrible calls, missed calls etc etc. It's just the nature of the beast.

Until somebody invents skynet and programs it to ref nhl games it's always going to be this way.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
When the Penguins got Crosby.

How convenient that the team on the verge of folding gets the greatest player since Lindros in a lottery.

It is interesting how we've never actually seen the draft lottery (the actual ball drop) in all those years...just the announcement after the fact. Daly with magical envelopes, wooo!

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
When did I stop giving any credibility to this joke of a league? Probably sometime between about 3 lockouts ago, and when I was old enough to know better.

Between the likely fixed 'lotteries' which don't show the balls dropping, the biased zebras who dont HAVE any balls, and the discrepancies between the haves and have nots that has not been fixed adequately by the salary cap/floor, not to mention any of a number of other things we could legitimately gripe about, this league is an absolute joke. About the only thing the NHL has over the other major pro sports in North America is that it is not filled with criminals (the Matt Cookes of the world aside), but it ends there. And until the NHL addresses these issues, they will continue to be a joke, and continue to far lag behind MLB, the NBA, and the NFL, certainly in the U.S.

DeVoice

Jan 26, 2012
Sarnia
this years playoffs will be a cranial exlaxx when the reffing that occured this year gets center stage. So many teams will not get the little joke calls that saved games for them this season. I can feel it comming....saddle up!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yes, there is a lot of human error involved, very hard game to officiate as it goes very fast. Problem is that reffing has too much impact on the outcome of the game, unlike some other sports. Reduce reffing's impact if it has so much impact?

Hence the second half of my sentence. Either there is credibility, or the OP is exaggerating the importance of credibility, or the OP is insane (by that definition of repeating something in the hopes that the outcome changes).

If you went through everything I went through, you'd be insane too! :sarcasm:

It would have taken 5 seconds of video review to get this call right

Yeah, that goal changed the outcome of the game and the position in the standings. Still can't believe it. Now matter how the book of rules is written, you just can't give that type of goal lolz

When I realized how diluted the game was after the post-lockout rule changes. There are 3-4 truly great teams, 3-4 bad ones, and 20+ teams of more or less equal quality in the middle. This is all counfounded by the terrible system of allotting 2-points for shootout win, which keeps all but a few teams in the hunt until March.

Totally agree. I miss ties lol

Lmao, there are probably others some would say are better but check this out:

The ref doesn't even see what happened, initially calls it a goal then waves no goal profusely like his life is on the line and he had 10 hours of review.

Then he has the decency to act all confident giving Silfverberg a penalty like he just convicted a famous fellon.

I would have knocked the ref out and stood over him waving no goal as crazily as he did.

lol I remember that.. What can you say except Montreal typical?

I've never seen a team get the short end of the stick so frequently in my life. We've had to kill 127 more PP opportunities then we've received so far this season... That's just ridiculous.

And LOL at that Silfverberg non-call, where were those refs when MTL had 3 players in Lehners crease with 5 seconds on the clock?

It's absolute nonsense how often we have these 'calculated mistakes' costing us pts in the standings.

The NHL is such a ****ing joke....

wow really? Didn't know that and I'd prefer to NOT know.

Guess that's the life of a small market based team geographically placed between 2 of the biggest franchises.

EDIT : I think you got the number wrong though, shouldn't be 41 more PKs?

223 PPs

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSAAAll&sort=advantages&viewName=powerPlay

264 PKs

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSAAAll&sort=timesShort&viewName=penaltyKill

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
When did I stop giving any credibility to this joke of a league? Probably sometime between about 3 lockouts ago, and when I was old enough to know better.

Between the likely fixed 'lotteries' which don't show the balls dropping, the biased zebras who dont HAVE any balls, and the discrepancies between the haves and have nots that has not been fixed adequately by the salary cap/floor, not to mention any of a number of other things we could legitimately gripe about, this league is an absolute joke. About the only thing the NHL has over the other major pro sports in North America is that it is not filled with criminals (the Matt Cookes of the world aside), but it ends there. And until the NHL addresses these issues, they will continue to be a joke, and continue to far lag behind MLB, the NBA, and the NFL, certainly in the U.S.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I do believe the NHL has the highest number of (former) owners that have spent time in jail. From Gretzky's buddy in LA, to the guy who temporarily bought the Islanders...and I think there was at least 1-2 more in my lifetime...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad