When did the NHL stopped having any credibility for you?

The Fuhr*

The nhl has the best refs in the world... It could be worse

Hockey is a fast game... Lots of human error

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
NYR Vs Québec in 95. Joe Sakic disallowed goal when Kovalev was faking an injury on the ice, auditioning for a future contract with the habs.

John Holmes*

You hear that a lot, but measured how exactly?

If that's the best in the world right there, we need to start over from scratch.

For me, I'd say moving Quebec City and Winnipeg was where it all started going downhill.

A close second was the rapid expansion, though we directly benefitted obviously.

Finally the 2004 lockout. This past lockout was just the icing on the cake.

Now I just don't believe anything that anybody has to say about anything.

The league has always been corrupt to an extent. It's still a fringe sport everywhere they don't want it to be.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I guess it's just me then but I have the feeling this year it's getting really worse than usual...

Also :

Don't have the highlight but also the hook on Michalek late in the game earlier this season and the other team scored on the play to win by 1 goal... Don't remember it was against which team...

I'm probably missing a few just this season

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
It's not so much "the when" as "the why". The NHL has done very little to improve the sore point of many fans which is refereeing. For them it's all about marketing so they came up with 3 point games to create the illusion of parity and to keep fans interested in the second half of the season. They have had many chances to fix the referees having too much influence on who wins and loses games. The best thing they came up with when the refs were criticized was to take their names off the jerseys. That should tell you enough.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
That was the panthers game that Michalek got tripped and then they scored after. There was also the devils game where Corvo got tripped and Cowen got slashed that led to 2 goals. How about the Montreal game that we dominated them for the first 40 yet were only able to get 1 pp yet they got 3 pps in a row last night during their dominant 1st.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Lots of people watch the WWE, not sure credibility is a requirement for viewership.

Hence the second half of my sentence. Either there is credibility, or the OP is exaggerating the importance of credibility, or the OP is insane (by that definition of repeating something in the hopes that the outcome changes).

Agreed.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I haven't lost all my respect yet but in recent years with stuff coming out from various organizations about referees holding vendettas and not making calls because of 'reputation' combined with the disciplinary committees completely **** decisions... I've lost a lot of respect.

And also a final problem I have is with make-up calls. If you make a mistake, move on.

Yes, hockey is a fast game and referees make mistakes but there are games where it has obviously gone beyond mistakes. And sometimes it has benefited Ottawa indirectly - the vendettas. It's still incredibly stupid and the referee circles in the NHL have this almost cult like structure where your team/coach/GM/owner can't challenge anything publicly or even privately with the league without the fear of your team getting screwed.

Edit: By the way, this talk about credibility not mattering isn't thinking about the issue in the right way. I can think referees have zero credibility but still think the league is OK. Referees can't 100% decide the outcome of a game. You're never going to see 60 full minutes of PP for a team.

That being said a poorly refereed game does influence outcomes now and then.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
I guess it's just me then but I have the feeling this year it's getting really worse than usual...

Also :

Don't have the highlight but also the hook on Michalek late in the game earlier this season and the other team scored on the play to win by 1 goal... Don't remember it was against which team...

I'm probably missing a few just this season

it was against Florida I think

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Is this more blowback from last nights game??? Let's wait till the NHL catches up with the NFL, MLB and NBA in respects to drugs, fraud and whatnot before we start giving up on it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
More nonsense, it's not the NHL's fault that the Ottawa Senators suck this season, it's the team' fault. Have there been some terrible calls against Ottawa this year, yes. But Ottawa also deserves blame for all the turnovers, the giveaways, the penalties & all the stupid plays all of the players even the coaches have made this yr in so many games.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
When I realized how diluted the game was after the post-lockout rule changes. There are 3-4 truly great teams, 3-4 bad ones, and 20+ teams of more or less equal quality in the middle. This is all counfounded by the terrible system of allotting 2-points for shootout win, which keeps all but a few teams in the hunt until March.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Maybe Chocolate LeClaire will remember this too as a fellow former Winnipegger, but there was a playoff series we had against the Oilers dynasty team where we were looking really good. An Oiler player (I think it was Anderson) crossed the blue line and let a shot rip off of the base of the goalpost. The ref signaled goal, the linesmen were out of position and could not overturn it, and video review did not exist. I've never had rose coloured glasses about the league since.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lmao, there are probably others some would say are better but check this out:

The ref doesn't even see what happened, initially calls it a goal then waves no goal profusely like his life is on the line and he had 10 hours of review.

Then he has the decency to act all confident giving Silfverberg a penalty like he just convicted a famous fellon.

I would have knocked the ref out and stood over him waving no goal as crazily as he did.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Harold Ballard, Eagleson, Ted Lindsay blackballing, the heavy organized crime/mob influence for over half a century....

Has the NHL ever really been a credible league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad