When Cam Was Injured The Other Night ...

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
This Dipi signing is more than just a stop gap until Anton gets back IMHO.

JR says the signing is a 'safety net' right before he says Cam is having an MRI tomorrow. I've got the gut feeling that they think Cam is out longer than 4 weeks. I mean who honestly says a guy is out 3-4 weeks in a matter of 10 minutes from being injured. I believe it's a lot more serious than they are leading on.

I think this is a, let's give you a PTO in Charlotte and if you prove/show that you can play, then we'll sign you to an NHL contract and you can back up Anton, sending Peters back to Charlotte where he belongs.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I think DiPietro is being signed to play in Charlotte, and nothing else unless he suddenly gets really hot and surprised EVERYBODY.

But I also don't think the Canes are in a very good spot with goaltending. Khudobin is at least 10-14 days from returning, and Cam may very well be done for the season. And I don't think I'm alone in thinking that if you're relying on Peters and Murphy, you're now looking at a high draft pick in a weak 2014 draft.

And then there's Skinner's status. He may be out a while.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
This is true. Sadly it's almost becoming an expectation that he'll miss a stretch of time anymore. Just a matter of when and how bad it will be. Top line needs to get their mojo back and Skinner's injury needs to truly be day to day and not month to month like we've also become accustomed to.

This isn't season over by any means, but the team REALLY needs to clamp down defensively and not let people just swarm Peters (like last night) or Qdoba. Of course, they need to do that when Ward comes back as well. If there's one thing I can't stand it's how soft our defense is right now, even if it's tougher to play against then last years debacle.

Except, last season's knee injury notwithstanding, the last time he played in fewer than half the schedule was in 209-2010 when he suffered a freak skate cut at the hands (feet?) of Rick Nash. Every other season he's been our starter he's played 73% or more.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Why would Cam be done for the season?

He's having an MRI done. 3 days after being diagnosed with something that will heal in 3-4 weeks? And you don't think there's the possibility that he's hurt worse than first expected? I wouldn't rule anything out yet.

Basing the Khudobin timeline on little quotes here and there on his status. One person says he may skate tomorrow. Someone else says he may start skating in a week. Someone else says he'll need several days of skating and practice before he's ready to play. And some forum fans seem to think he's playing Monday? They won't rush him back, especially if Cam is out for a month or longer. A few more games missed might be worth not having Peters/Murphy play the last 70 games!

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Ok. Which one of us is Pete Friesen.

Positive people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything. The best way to treat a sore phylangiepidermis is cold compression and alternating heat. /freakypete

The Rickety signing is very much a look see just like the Malhotra signing. These guys are signing with the knowledge that eyes are on them. Carolina just put a 3rd PTO in Charlotte with Muse, York, and now DiPietro. With Peters and Murphy already signed and Khudobin hurt. Six goaltenders not counting our starter. Muse isn't going to get a look in the NHL. Neither is Murphy. I believe they're going to give Rick a few practices and a start or two to see where he's at and if he's solid then he's going to be up here backing up Peters and in short order.

Allen York stopped 28 of 29 and the first 3 shooters in the shootout tonight for Charlotte, so it's tough to imagine that he's not somewhere in the mix. What seems evident is that the organization's faith in Murphy to even spot start at the NHL level is non-existent. Justin Peters hasn't been adequate. Somebody is going to emerge from this dogpile and win some starts for us between the time when Khudobin comes back and while Ward is on the shelf.

We have a back to back coming up on the 1st and 2nd of November. Then three games in four nights on the 15th, 16th, and 18th. Even if we get Khudobin back, the backup is going to have to take some of those starts. And with an injury as sensitive as the groin *Trippism*, Khudobin is one split save away from a setback. Groin injuries can linger like hell. Worse than knees.

Practices are going to be pretty intense in Charlotte for the next week or two. Too many goaltenders and not enough net, though I do think that Rick isn't going to play incredibly quickly considering he hasn't been in a professional practice all season. York has had some NHL success, oddly enough. Really curious as to what happened in his situation as the numbers seem to lend some credence to him being a potential prospect. At least as much as Justin Peters.

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
Positive people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything. The best way to treat a sore phylangiepidermis is cold compression and alternating heat. /freakypete

The Rickety signing is very much a look see just like the Malhotra signing. These guys are signing with the knowledge that eyes are on them. Carolina just put a 3rd PTO in Charlotte with Muse, York, and now DiPietro. With Peters and Murphy already signed and Khudobin hurt. Six goaltenders not counting our starter. Muse isn't going to get a look in the NHL. Neither is Murphy. I believe they're going to give Rick a few practices and a start or two to see where he's at and if he's solid then he's going to be up here backing up Peters and in short order.

Allen York stopped 28 of 29 and the first 3 shooters in the shootout tonight for Charlotte, so it's tough to imagine that he's not somewhere in the mix. What seems evident is that the organization's faith in Murphy to even spot start at the NHL level is non-existent. Justin Peters hasn't been adequate. Somebody is going to emerge from this dogpile and win some starts for us between the time when Khudobin comes back and while Ward is on the shelf.

We have a back to back coming up on the 1st and 2nd of November. Then three games in four nights on the 15th, 16th, and 18th. Even if we get Khudobin back, the backup is going to have to take some of those starts. And with an injury as sensitive as the groin *Trippism*, Khudobin is one split save away from a setback. Groin injuries can linger like hell. Worse than knees.

Practices are going to be pretty intense in Charlotte for the next week or two. Too many goaltenders and not enough net, though I do think that Rick isn't going to play incredibly quickly considering he hasn't been in a professional practice all season. York has had some NHL success, oddly enough. Really curious as to what happened in his situation as the numbers seem to lend some credence to him being a potential prospect. At least as much as Justin Peters.

great analysis... Except: Khudobin has a bumb ankle, not a groin (and those heal fairly well); DiPietro needs to earn an NHL contract before they even try him between the pipes in Raleigh... How was your stay at a Holiday Inn? Lol.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Oh, the great and wise Pete Freisen....whose philosophy about hockey players is that they should be skinny as a stick and avoid adding muscle at all cost! There's a GOOD reason guys like Skinner and Faulk train elsewhere when they can! They'd be 170 pounds or less if Pete had his say in it.

Seriously, there are some people out there who really do question his methods and ideas.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
there is a lot of that talk going on right now and rightly so. perhaps it's a normal result to current injuries but nevertheless, correct to be questioning their ideas.

that said, everyone and every team has and goes through injuries. they don't usually cripple the team to the extent they do the Canes. the issue to me is that the organization isn't prepared to deal with the inevitable. you would think they would be by now. I understand Khudobin's was a freak one, but even so.

it seems like they operate on a hope and a prayer, much like they play the game. if ALL goes well.......... trouble is it never does.

another thing to me is that other teams know how to play against the Canes. do the Canes scouts ever leave their offices?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don't want to play doctor, so does anyone know why Cam would need an MRI if there wasn't a possibility he had an injury worse than the 3-4 weeks we were told already?

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
MRI for a pulled groin.............................idk.

IMO Ward is out of action for 4-6 months. still stand by that. we'll see.

the issue to me was the instant announcement (less than a period that it would be 3-4 wks.)

I bet it's his knee but maybe his hip. most likely knee. and, they said he came to camp in the best shape of his career then goes down like that. something's not right. hope he comes back in 3 weeks and stands on his head. really, is that going to happen? 25% chance at best.

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Yeah, the first weird feeling stage watching pro sports is when you start seeing guys younger than you playing. Second weird stage is when you reach 'retirement age' and are older than most of the players. :laugh:

Only 1 Cane is older then me. That was the point I felt "old".

That and the random pains, I can't sleep off minor injuries...

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I pretty much used every curse word in the book the second I heard "Ward is hurt" from Forslund.

I love the guy, but this is starting to become a yearly thing and it worries me, he's only 29 and is in the prime of his career.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't claim to be an expert in sports injuries, nor do I have any inside information what so ever, but I've come to always take any initial prognosis made right after the game with skepticism. I won't be surprised at all if they come back after an MRI and say Cam will miss more time (or if they come back and say it's still 3-4 weeks).

Just seems odd that they stated a timeframe to begin with before an MRI was even done.

EDIT: and if any of you are old enough to remember Sam Malone (Cheers) on the episode where he was a sportscaster, every time I hear someone has a groin injury reminds me of the rap he did as a sports anchor to try to get ratings.

Go to the 1:50 mark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad