When Cam Was Injured The Other Night ...

WalkerBabe

Oct 26, 2007
Raleigh NC
how many said, there goes the play-offs?! :help: I hope I'm 100% wrong, but it feels like same-old, same-old. I feel sorry for them all. I'm sure it was a LONG plane ride back home last night. I have to wonder if the same thought pulls them down, as well. We can't seem to get a break with Cam and his body ... year after year.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
how many said, there goes the play-offs?! :help: I hope I'm 100% wrong, but it feels like same-old, same-old. I feel sorry for them all. I'm sure it was a LONG plane ride back home last night. I have to wonder if the same thought pulls them down, as well. We can't seem to get a break with Cam and his body ... year after year.

the day that everyone realizes that the success or failure of this team does NOT revolve around Ward, progress MAY be made.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Two years in a row not every year..

And yeah but lets be honest, this team is a bubble team with Ward..It doesn't have enough depth imo to be a top four team in the east.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

If Khudobin comes back and plays well, there's no reason that this team can't win a lot of games with him. He's a good goalie.

Ideally, of course you want your starting goalie healthy but this was the reason they signed AK in the first place. To give them a chance to win when Ward is not playing. He is very capable of doing so.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
1. He's only missing a month...tops. And Anton will return any game now. There's still 70 games to play in the season. Calling the season over is way premature.

2. Until the top line starts producing more (or the rest of the lines pick up some slack), our playoff hopes DO rest on Ward

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
the day that everyone realizes that the success or failure of this team does NOT revolve around Ward, progress MAY be made.

This is true. Sadly it's almost becoming an expectation that he'll miss a stretch of time anymore. Just a matter of when and how bad it will be. Top line needs to get their mojo back and Skinner's injury needs to truly be day to day and not month to month like we've also become accustomed to.

This isn't season over by any means, but the team REALLY needs to clamp down defensively and not let people just swarm Peters (like last night) or Qdoba. Of course, they need to do that when Ward comes back as well. If there's one thing I can't stand it's how soft our defense is right now, even if it's tougher to play against then last years debacle.

WalkerBabe

Oct 26, 2007
Raleigh NC
You all make good points. Our multi million dollar babies really must produce/score. If Anton is ba k in a week, I'll Feel more optimistic!!!

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
how do we know at this point that Anton isn't a better goalie than Cam. it is assumed as always that Ward is THE goalie for this team. Anton looked great when he was playing. truth right now? and no offence to Ward (because I don't scapegoat players - just coaches) Anton starts.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Weird.

At this point I suppose it's an upgrade over Peters, but it's a PTO with Charlotte. I'd have to think Anton's back before the Canes even THINK of signing him...

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
how do we know at this point that Anton isn't a better goalie than Cam. it is assumed as always that Ward is THE goalie for this team. Anton looked great when he was playing. truth right now? and no offence to Ward (because I don't scapegoat players - just coaches) Anton starts.

Quality of competition. Philly's a mess of a team and the Caps haven't shown they're anything this year either. Now if he rebounds from this injury and shuts down Tampa going say 4-1 in the next couple weeks, we have something to talk about. After Pittsburgh this should be a good stretch for him to get back into game shape. Tampa is decent, but then it's the Rangers, Isles, Flyers, and Wild. He goes 4-1 in those 5 games in good fashion (because when do we blow people out?) and I'll be at the very least wanting Cam eased back into things with Khudobin getting a bunch of starts as that happens.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
If Khudobin is playing great when Ward comes back, Muller will play the hot hand. Remember, he was alternating starts with Khudo and Ward before the injuries. He'll give Ward a start to see where he's at then go back to Khudo

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Weird.

At this point I suppose it's an upgrade over Peters, but it's a PTO with Charlotte. I'd have to think Anton's back before the Canes even THINK of signing him...

I think they are doing this to make sure Peters isn't ever on the Canes bench again.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
It sucks atm, but Peters hasn't played *THAT* bad the past two games. If we can pick up a win or two along the way Anton will be back soon and Cam's injury isn't that severe. We're still in a decent position, if anything, our Goaltending has been fine, I'm more concerned with our offense's inability to score more than 2 goals a game.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Hurricanes would be in the playoffs if it started today. Just have to survive til Anton comes back and like others have said, hope the offense plays better.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Wouldn't read too much into the DiPietro signing. Unless I'm mistaken it's the same deal as with Malhotra. It's with Charlotte, so they can't be called up to the Canes unless the Canes sign them to a contract first. And likewise, any other NHL team could sweep in and sign them first before the Canes do, too.

Now if the Canes offer a contract, then we can start our speculating.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wouldn't read too much into the DiPietro signing. Unless I'm mistaken it's the same deal as with Malhotra. It's with Charlotte, so they can't be called up to the Canes unless the Canes sign them to a contract first. And likewise, any other NHL team could sweep in and sign them first before the Canes do, too.

Now if the Canes offer a contract, then we can start our speculating.

Exactly. It's a depth move for the Checkers. Just... very unexpected guy for them to be signing is all.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Exactly. It's a depth move for the Checkers. Just... very unexpected guy for them to be signing is all.

Definitely unexpected. I sure never would have guessed it. Would be very cool if the Canes do offer him, but like with Malhotra I have a feeling it's a wait and see how they do and then see if we can squeeze them into the contract limit type deal if they do well. JR has gotten a lot more conservative lately than the toss a contract at the other teams' throwaways like he used to do. Which as frustrating as it may be that we may miss out on them, is a very good change on his part.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
You all make good points. Our multi million dollar babies really must produce/score. If Anton is ba k in a week, I'll Feel more optimistic!!!

goaltending is goaltending. it has to make that big save. whoever. BUT, my point all along has been that the "multi million dollar babies" will never produce to the level necessary under Muller hockey as it is. compare it to last year and blame the top line if you want. they are playing a far different system that has neutered the top line.

as a coach, you have to have trust in your skilled guys and permit them to be creative. it is not what we saw last year and NEVER on the PP because kirky has no clue.

let the horses run.

Semin must be thinking, "**** not Hunter hockey again" check out the stats. yep slow starts. ok.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Quality of competition. Philly's a mess of a team and the Caps haven't shown they're anything this year either. Now if he rebounds from this injury and shuts down Tampa going say 4-1 in the next couple weeks, we have something to talk about. After Pittsburgh this should be a good stretch for him to get back into game shape. Tampa is decent, but then it's the Rangers, Isles, Flyers, and Wild. He goes 4-1 in those 5 games in good fashion (because when do we blow people out?) and I'll be at the very least wanting Cam eased back into things with Khudobin getting a bunch of starts as that happens.

I don't buy the quality of comp. thing. he had played great and every team is dangerous. how he rebounds after injury IS the issue for sure though.

get tanked

Apr 8, 2011
Rofleigh
Last year Ellis gave up one goal (total) in his first two starts. Khudobin looks good so far but I want to see more of him before judging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad