Post-Game Talk (GBU): When a LOSS is a WIN

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Take it for what it's worth but the blunder by Hodgson might be the most pivotal error of the year in possibly cementing a top 2 pick.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
also i haven't been paying attention but apparently we ought to have wire themed draft lottery avatars

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
We do. But I'm not going to anticipate we'll win all three of those. It's still a true statement that we simply need not outscore them by 7 pts the rest of the way and we have one of Reinhart and Bennett in the bag.

fixed

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
20+ games left......when we trade Miller the way to the basement will be quite clear

In case getting rid of Gaustad, Roy, Pominville, and Vanek wasn't clear enough. :laugh:

Not to mention, not replacing the talent for the most part. THAT speaks louder than a mistake or two by a player.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
g- It was a good loss for the tank
Myers until injured
Stafford
Ott
The Refs

b- Enroth, McBain

u- Myers being injured, hopefully he's ok

Hopefully we get 1st pick and use it to play Edmonton against Calgary for Ekblad while we get Reinhart or Bennett

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
One of Hodgson's next shifts was deserving of criticism more so than the puck luck deflection that made it easier on Hendricks to handle that pass. I'm talking about the shift where he blindly passed to an empty wing and then was "stuck in mud" trying to reach a lead pass intended for him.
I agree even though Ott was out of position.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I love how people think a loss or win in a game like this is going to do irreparable harm to the players or magically transform them into the players they need to be.

You can't transform apathy, any harm that was done happened months before tonights game. I love how some people think drafting an 18 year old will magically fix the team, make all the players better and comes with a guaranteed trip to the finals.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You can't transform apathy, any harm that was done happened months before tonights game. I love how some people think drafting an 18 year old will magically fix the team, make all the players better and comes with a guaranteed trip to the finals.

And I would love you to name one, just one (unless you know more) poster who thinks drafting an 18 year old will do that.

Don't avoid this. Don't ignore it. You called your shot. Now back it up.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
And I would love you to name one, just one (unless you know more) poster who thinks drafting an 18 year old will do that.

Don't avoid this. Don't ignore it. You called your shot. Now back it up.

I'm not going to scroll thru threads looking for which poster said what, there are however posts outlining how Reinhart this year and McDavid next year will have us challenging for the Cup. People citing that you need a top 3 pick to compete, using the Hawks and Kings as examples (then ignoring the other teams with top 3 picks that failed). Talking about guys like Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, Moulson, Myers, Pysyk that just need more talent around them (while ignoring that with all these *talents* already, they do have talent around them) and that the shiny new draft pick will be that guy to tie it all together.

Have I somehow misinterpreted the faith based tank cult? Is the belief not based on drafting a saviour in 2014 and another in 2015? Isn't the hope that these elite draft picks will elevate the acquisitions from the annual fire sale into a contender? That these 18 year olds just need a few vets plugged in around them and everything just comes together? That these messiahs will lure prime free agents to town? Pretty sure there are at least 2 threads devoted to this magical plan.

So go ahead and tell me its all out of context, and that even tho that is the basis of the plan I somehow distorted it by eliminating the niceties.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I'm not going to scroll thru threads looking for which poster said what, there are however posts outlining how Reinhart this year and McDavid next year will have us challenging for the Cup. People citing that you need a top 3 pick to compete, using the Hawks and Kings as examples (then ignoring the other teams with top 3 picks that failed). Talking about guys like Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, Moulson, Myers, Pysyk that just need more talent around them (while ignoring that with all these *talents* already, they do have talent around them) and that the shiny new draft pick will be that guy to tie it all together.

Have I somehow misinterpreted the faith based tank cult? Is the belief not based on drafting a saviour in 2014 and another in 2015? Isn't the hope that these elite draft picks will elevate the acquisitions from the annual fire sale into a contender? That these 18 year olds just need a few vets plugged in around them and everything just comes together? That these messiahs will lure prime free agents to town? Pretty sure there are at least 2 threads devoted to this magical plan.

So go ahead and tell me its all out of context, and that even tho that is the basis of the plan I somehow distorted it by eliminating the niceties.

I lurk more often then I post but I thought I'd chime in here. Reading this rant leads me to believe that you're solely lacking in the reading comprehension department. I haven't seen anyone say that drafting Reinhart/Ekblad/McDavid/Eichel will just magically turn the Sabres into cup contenders on the same day of the next two drafts. It seems to me, that the majority of posters know that just picking high isn't the only ingredient in the recipe for success (unless you're Jeremy White. He actually believes this.)

No 18 year old will lead their NHL team to instant success. I thought that was obvious, but picking high end players to add to our already promising slew of prospects only adds to the excitement of what the future might behold.

I'm sure Tim Murray didn't get to be the GM of an NHL team if "just picking high" is his only plan for building this team. Obviously proper development, coaching, and shrewd trades all are factors into team building. Again, I thought this was obvious. Other posters will agree.

I assumed "Tank Nation" was just a fun way to make light of this horrendous season :dunno:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I lurk more often then I post but I thought I'd chime in here. Reading this rant leads me to believe that you're solely lacking in the reading comprehension department. I haven't seen anyone say that drafting Reinhart/Ekblad/McDavid/Eichel will just magically turn the Sabres into cup contenders on the same day of the next two drafts. It seems to me, that the majority of posters know that just picking high isn't the only ingredient in the recipe for success (unless you're Jeremy White. He actually believes this.)

No 18 year old will lead their NHL team to instant success. I thought that was obvious, but picking high end players to add to our already promising slew of prospects only adds to the excitement of what the future might behold.

I'm sure Tim Murray didn't get to be the GM of an NHL team if "just picking high" is his only plan for building this team. Obviously proper development, coaching, and shrewd trades all are factors into team building. Again, I thought this was obvious. Other posters will agree.

I assumed "Tank Nation" was just a fun way to make light of this horrendous season :dunno:

Blue,

I agree. Most folk understand that it will take more than one or two high draft picks to turn the Sabres into a contender. At the same time, most of these same folk are actively pulling for the tank. It really isn't a way to make light of the season. I was hoping the comments would remain buried in the tank thread designed for that purpose. However, these comments inundate the game thread, GBU thread, etc... It's like retelling a joke (over and over) that wasn't funny the first time around.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
G: Took a full 60 minutes to prove that we are the worst team and deserve that first overall pick :)

B: penalties. So many penalties. A lot of them were weak calls, too, so i'll blame the officials.

U: Potential Myers injury? It would help the tank, but he is one of the bright spots this season and it's fun to watch him play.

The Awkward: Maybe i am just imagining this, but does Rob Ray seem to bust Dan Dunleavy's balls a little too much? It seems that Ray is always saying snarky things like "you better learn your team history" or "what highlights are you watching up there?" in a flat, "is he kidding or serious?" kind of way. It's weird and it makes me uncomfortable :laugh:

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
The Awkward: Maybe i am just imagining this, but does Rob Ray seem to bust Dan Dunleavy's balls a little too much? It seems that Ray is always saying snarky things like "you better learn your team history" or "what highlights are you watching up there?" in a flat, "is he kidding or serious?" kind of way. It's weird and it makes me uncomfortable :laugh:

I like that they have a little banter back and forth. For me, it makes the game a little more interesting than the usual generic comments that many sports commentators have. I'm close with people who've met Rob on several occasions (and while it is a second-hand impression) - he sounds like a genuinely nice guy. If I were to criticize Rayzor's commentary, it'd be because he can get tripped up from time to time - see: "6 on 5, I mean 5 on 4, sorry 4 on 3" - but usually those mistakes just make me chuckle.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Hey great news everyone! I almost created a new thread for this but I suppose posting it here is fine. Just wanted to congratulate the sabres on reaching a milestone this year...

The 2 goals scored last night were our 100th and 101st goals scored in Reg/OT!! We have finally broken the 100 goal barrier!!

:yo::jump::bow::scared::clap::banana::win::cheers::hyper::highclap::wave::vhappy::towel::party:

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Rob's like that with the radio interviews he does, as well. I get the sense he's a good guy that's just playing around, but he goes too far with it sometimes. And that he's not like with RJ rubs me the wrong way, like he's just a bully. It also doesn't help that he really really sucks at announcing.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I cannot stand Rob Ray. I prefer Brad May. Ray has had far to many blows to the head to be a successful commentator, his voice is also annoying as hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad