Post-Game Talk (GBU): When a LOSS is a WIN

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I lurk more often then I post but I thought I'd chime in here. Reading this rant leads me to believe that you're solely lacking in the reading comprehension department. I haven't seen anyone say that drafting Reinhart/Ekblad/McDavid/Eichel will just magically turn the Sabres into cup contenders on the same day of the next two drafts. It seems to me, that the majority of posters know that just picking high isn't the only ingredient in the recipe for success (unless you're Jeremy White. He actually believes this.)

No 18 year old will lead their NHL team to instant success. I thought that was obvious, but picking high end players to add to our already promising slew of prospects only adds to the excitement of what the future might behold.

I'm sure Tim Murray didn't get to be the GM of an NHL team if "just picking high" is his only plan for building this team. Obviously proper development, coaching, and shrewd trades all are factors into team building. Again, I thought this was obvious. Other posters will agree.

I assumed "Tank Nation" was just a fun way to make light of this horrendous season :dunno:

No, I understand just fine, just tired of reading the justifications of having a terrible team because it will lead to some glorious rebirth of the franchise. And yes, it all stems from getting those 18 year old kids. Last year the Stop Winnin' for MacKinnon and Ruin for Drouin threads, this season its Reinhart and Ekblad and people already revving up the tank for McDavid next year. Its perpetual bargaining that ventures into a desire to lose.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I lurk more often then I post but I thought I'd chime in here. Reading this rant leads me to believe that you're solely lacking in the reading comprehension department. I haven't seen anyone say that drafting Reinhart/Ekblad/McDavid/Eichel will just magically turn the Sabres into cup contenders on the same day of the next two drafts. It seems to me, that the majority of posters know that just picking high isn't the only ingredient in the recipe for success (unless you're Jeremy White. He actually believes this.)

No 18 year old will lead their NHL team to instant success. I thought that was obvious, but picking high end players to add to our already promising slew of prospects only adds to the excitement of what the future might behold.

I'm sure Tim Murray didn't get to be the GM of an NHL team if "just picking high" is his only plan for building this team. Obviously proper development, coaching, and shrewd trades all are factors into team building. Again, I thought this was obvious. Other posters will agree.

I assumed "Tank Nation" was just a fun way to make light of this horrendous season :dunno:

Why do so many posters think "picking high is an integral part of the team building strategy" = "picking high is the only thing that matters and instantly makes us a cup contender and we should intentionally screw up everyone's development to that end"?

Tank Nation is serious. And rational. And the goal is to get the elite talent at the top while developing the supporting cast appropriately.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Why do so many posters think "picking high is an integral part of the team building strategy" = "picking high is the only thing that matters and instantly makes us a cup contender and we should intentionally screw up everyone's development to that end"?

Tank Nation is serious. And rational. And the goal is to get the elite talent at the top while developing the supporting cast appropriately.

I want this on a T-Shirt Now...

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I do not see it as active tanking but rather appropriate asset management. Teams have to know when to give away futures to win now and they also need to know when they cannot win now to trade some of their present for futures. It always takes two to tango. Then you have to ensure you do not rush your futures -handing out the big bucks to kids is fraught with issues if they lack maturity , your team lacks leadership, and you suck. You instead give your bubble boys, AHL vets and assorted scrubs the chance to show they are the ones who will be the complementary players who ought to be tendered contracts short or long term. The players must give their all shift after shift, win or lose. The ones who do will stick around and the others go. That is what Buffalo is doing-it is appropriate and it is NOT tanking. Further I do not see the NHL making changes that will impact teams now -especially where a team has made trades for future firsts. That would be massively unfair and possibly tortious. I do not know the role the NHLPA would have if any in this....

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I want this on a T-Shirt Now...

arrested-development-gob-alliance.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad