Confirmed with Link: Wheeler bought out

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well at least we are seeing who Chevy believes are the core players and who he was not interested in retaining. Our 1st line has been really good for a while with two stars that get paid like stars (Ladd and Wheeler) but no superstars making $7 million type money. Our middle 6 forwards (minus Kane) has been our problem so this contract does not really bother me that much. If you would have said 6 years I would have told you $5.5 was the number.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
Well at least we are seeing who Chevy believes are the core players and who he was not interested in retaining. Our 1st line has been really good for a while with two stars that get paid like stars (Ladd and Wheeler) but no superstars making $7 million type money. Our middle 6 forwards (minus Kane) has been our problem so this contract does not really bother me that much. If you would have said 6 years I would have told you $5.5 was the number.

was he purposefully given more than Kane?

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010
Yessssss!!! Time to order my Wheeler jersey before they come to Cali...

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
A little higher than I thought initially, but I agree with ps and others that a deal of that length would cost a bit more on aav.

All in all, not too bad.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
After Bogo is signed I think we will have a million or so in cap space or so, really nice to see the core signed.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
It should really say something that all of Ladd, Wheeler, Kane, Little, Enstrom and Pavelec have signed 5-6 year deals to stay in Winnipeg. Bogosian next, no doubt.

That will be 7 players signing big 5-6 year contracts. Speaks volumes, in my opinion.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
was he purposefully given more than Kane?

No way they role that way

UFA years cost >>>>>> RFA years

I consider both deals market value and remember Kane will be a young man come time for his next pay day.

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site
I've been waiting all day for this. I was somewhat worried Wheels wanted arbitration and a 1yr deal so he would become a UFA. I was expecting that if he signed it would be for around 6 mil and maybe a 4 yr term. 6 yrs is great and it means we have a very committed core. I don't expect Bogo to be as difficult but he should be 5 - 6 mil as well.

I think this also shows loyalty to the team and each other. I was very happy with the play of LLW , Kane, and Bogo. We now have some very decent tools in the toolbox to compliment them. I think we might see some greater than expected play from Seto, Frolik, and Halischuk now that they will be given prominent roles with talented players. I see a team in the ascendency and can't wait to see how everyone meshes together. Talent like Scheif and Trouba will thrive in this environment.

I am now happy ... happy ... happy.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
We now have 7.5 mil in cap space. If things keep going as they have, Bogo will sign for half a mil more than I thought, so 6 mil. Go into the season with 1.5 of space. Enough for a deadline pickup I think.

Anyways, about Wheels, stoked on this signing. Just needs to not have the long dry spells and this is a real value deal. Beast mode every game. Please and thank you.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
About what I expected for that length! Deal will look better in a couple of years as the cap rises.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Sip approves this deal, good signing of a good player and class act. If he plays to his ability should be a 100 pt. man in the NHL:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad