GDT: WHC - Latvia vs Finland

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
There are not any top players from the NHL in this tournament, Barzal might be the best player?

Dahlin, Meier, Jones, Chabot I'd say are the other worth mentioning. The overall level of this tournament isn't very high.

Finland is still favorite aside Canada. What could come to their way is that while they have a team where anyone could score the scoring might be spread too thin and wide. Granlund in that sense was important addition.

Reactions: karhukissa

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Dahlin, Meier, Jones, Chabot I'd say are the other worth mentioning. The overall level of this tournament isn't very high.

Finland is still favorite aside Canada. What could come to their way is that while they have a team where anyone could score the scoring might be spread too thin and wide. Granlund in that sense was important addition.
I never think too much of our games about Latvia and Norway etc. Just those games we got to win, there is no excuse.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
There are not any top players from the NHL in this tournament, Barzal might be the best player?

World Cup was best on best, this is not even remotely close + Russia is missing. Finland won with Liiga players couple years back this same level tournament. Atleast now we got the strongest European leagues core out of any country + Granlund and possibly 2 other guys from the NHL. Then only Canada is stronger on paper (maybe Czechs) and these tournaments aren't won on paper like we see year after year. Home tournament might be blessing or curse though.
I mean that differently. Finland would not always win so narrowly with top players. And yes, 2019 was really impressive. But I doubt it will always work that way. Incidentally, Switzerland is also very well represented at this tournament, the Czech Republic and Canada have a pretty decent NHL squad. I don't know if Finland always comes through with an understaffed squad?

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Games against the middle tier countries are not the free passes to the semis they used to be, but I believe most people would take any of those over CAN.

thatsthejoke.jpg
Middle tier okay! But SUI e.g. has a very strong squad. Not weaker than Finland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad