GDT: WHC - Latvia vs Finland

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Quality comes on top 9 times out of 10 in these games. Finland only did the necessary like always in these first games, nothing fancy ever. You play as good as you need to and do the necessary, tournament begins during QF.

Respect to Latvia though, it's like a stone in a shoe always, tough to beat.
But this time it could have gone really wrong.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Jalonen being visibly annoyed that the team didn't have full effort snd it was a must win or we won't see "quarterfinals".

Now they put the Jalonen's end game interview behind a pay channel as well. That's pretty pathetic by MTV3. New low by them, but I won't pay to them for principle.

Reactions: Stubu and FinPanda

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Same old story. With or without the refs, Latvian team deservedly receives no recognition, because it can't win. At least this year we know quite early there is no reason for QF hopes, as the team failed to pull an upset in either of the first two games.
I can definitely see you guys win against Sweden and you should win any day against Norway, Austria, Britain and Kazakhstan.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Should come to the website at least I believe

Yeah I'll check if it will come up. I always need to see his reaction after a tough game. Reading his comments isn't really the same thing so perhaps Katsomo will have a clip of it.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Elvis (Marzelinkins) has just left the building - as a loser.

Still a solid game from him and Latvija against a Finland team that played like bloody white zombies on skates half of the game or so.

Scary stuff.

2 - 1 Finland win thanx to Mikael Granlund ... and nobody else.

Reactions: FinPanda

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
But this time it could have gone really wrong.
It always can, but personally i want to see these struggles early in the tournament. What Finland does better than any other country,is adapting and evolving during tournament. They will learn from this and adapt their game. You don't want to see this Hitchcock level thriller in QF or semis.

Reactions: FinPanda

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
But for confidence it would be better if you also beat the big teams.
And, of course, thanks to the lopsidedness of the groups this year, anything but the 4th seed likely gives a favorable QF matchup.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
It always can, but personally i want to see these struggles early in the tournament. What Finland does better than any other country,is adapting and evolving during tournament. They will learn from this and adapt their game. You don't want to see this Hitchcock level thriller in QF or semis.
I'm pretty sure it will be Hitchcock games again in the K.O.-Stage. That could be different if you had some top players from the NHL with you. But otherwise I fear something like the last World Cup.

And, of course, thanks to the lopsidedness of the groups this year, anything but the 4th seed likely gives a favorable QF matchup.
SUI, GER, SVK, DEN? Despite very tight games.

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
Elvis (Marzelinkins) has just left the building - as a loser.

Still a solid game from him and Latvija against a Finland team that played like bloody white zombies on skates half of the game or so.

Scary stuff.

2 - 1 Finland win thanx to Mikael Granlund ... and nobody else.
Some say as a looser, some say with a brand new wristwatch or whatever best player of the game is awarded with. :)

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
Head coach Harijs Vītoliņš: After the game, the referees came and said they made a mistake not giving a boarding call.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
I'd say Lehtonen was the best player of Finland today. Granlund's assist on first goal was lucky bounce but he delivered what he came to the team for.

member 305909

The tournament-format is very merciful. You don't have to be good at all games.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'd say Lehtonen was the best player of Finland today. Granlund's assist on first goal was lucky bounce but he delivered what he came to the team for.

If it can't be Granny, then you can just give that award to Manninen. If he didn't tie there, the result could've been anything, such as Latvia making the next goal to 2-0. Finland battling from 0-1 or 0-2 deficit at 50 minutes played, still without a goal.

Säteri was good too. Granlund MVP for me and honorable mentions to Manninen and Säteri.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Boston vs Carolina game starts in about 10-20 minutes. It's a day game in North-America. Game 7! That should be exciting regarding team Finland's next reinforcement(s).

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
A chance to get Haula! Yay!

File I've never had to say this before to you but shut up :cool:. We'll take TT if Aho is indeed injured. Maybe both of them if Jalonen likes our d-men at the moment and if Aho is healthy.

Now the hockey gods need to help Finland with that.

Reactions: king89 and FinPanda

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I'm pretty sure it will be Hitchcock games again in the K.O.-Stage. That could be different if you had some top players from the NHL with you. But otherwise I fear something like the last World Cup.
There are not any top players from the NHL in this tournament, Barzal might be the best player?

World Cup was best on best, this is not even remotely close + Russia is missing. Finland won with Liiga players couple years back this same level tournament. Atleast now we got the strongest European leagues core out of any country + Granlund and possibly 2 other guys from the NHL. Then only Canada is stronger on paper (maybe Czechs) and these tournaments aren't won on paper like we see year after year. Home tournament might be blessing or curse though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad