GDT: WHC - Finland vs USA

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
I can't watch the game because it's nowhere broadcasted here in Switzerland. Is Finland playing so well or USA playing so bad? The PP seems to be very good by the Finns or is the PK of the USA so bad?
What? Game was on SRF 2. I guess also on the french and italian counterparts too…

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Meh. I never understood why you stop playing. It is a short tournament and in just a week you might meet the same opponent in an elimination game. You should go full steam the whole game. If anything, a 7-8 goal victory might give you an advantage going forward.

Not really confident in this team. The 5 minute pp was the difference maker.
You must be too young to remember the late nineties and early 00s. Finland played lights oyt and was gassed in the important games. Extremely frustrating.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Very well deserved win by the Finns. Nice to see, that it wasn t a heart attack game this time. Team USA reminds me more of 80s Hockey.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I didint know that minor penalties could be check'd from video. Thinking about that minor/double minor that got called off, because only puck hit the player not stick. I think in Liiga they can only check if its possible that major penalty should be given and only decide major or not from the video. Maybe it's changed and I havent just noticed

Good game from our guys, dominating performance

Reactions: FinPanda

Jarvinen

Mar 27, 2022
Sometimes this site just blows my mind. If you said that to me in person, i'd ask you to repeat that slowly and then maybe for the 3rd time to check if i really heard right.

Game was over, finished, finito. It was also very overheated game, USA wasn't threatning our lead so let's focus to defend it, why? A) To avoid injuries B) No need to grind 1000%, you said yourself it's a short tournament, every single second of recovery is a bonus.

How are games usually won in these tournaments? Powerplay/Shorthanded. Our PP is world class. Goalie is world class. And you are not confident based on 3rd period after 4-0 lead?
We have blown bigger leads than that multiple times. I am not confident because I think that without the PP I think we might have had a completely different game. I might be wrong though, it is just an opinion.

I would have rather seen a bigger victory so in case they meet in the medal rounds I think it might give them a mental advantage.
You must be too young to remember the late nineties and early 00s. Finland played lights oyt and was gassed in the important games. Extremely frustrating.
34 so I do. And I remember way too many times when we called it a day too early.

Happy for the win though

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Everyone said that Finland, the Czechs, Sweden and the USA would easily go to the QFs. I wouldn't be so sure about the USA though.

Latvia was the most likely team to advance over USA, but sadly USA already beat them.

Exactly what I was thinking, they're losing 4-0 and get that feeling of injustice just before second intermission. Because tbh I felt that that was boarding major considering all, the guy went head first into the boards and Mäenalanen didin't seem to be careful at all with the hit.

I agree. It should've been a 5 minute penalty. It was almost as dirty as the USA's 5 min major.

Kuljeskelen

Jan 2, 2020
Finland
Mäenalanen should be benched. That said, I'm glad I don't root for team USA. What a waste of appearance, arguably more skill than the favourite Finland, and spend it on not trying to win.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I didint know that minor penalties could be check'd from video. Thinking about that minor/double minor that got called off, because only puck hit the player not stick. I think in Liiga they can only check if its possible that major penalty should be given and only decide major or not from the video. Maybe it's changed and I havent just noticed

Good game from our guys, dominating performance
That histicking was reviewed, only coz USA player wanted 2+2 (There were blood coming from his lips)

Reactions: QnebO

morkkis35

Aug 9, 2017
are there any extended highlights somewhere available of this game? I just found the one on IIHF and thats not much.....

Sixbladeknife

Oct 20, 2011
We have blown bigger leads than that multiple times.

I remember Team Finland blowing a 4 goal lead once. I bet we all remember that game - quarterfinals against Sweden in 2003.

I certainly can't remember us blowing a bigger lead that that. Do you have any other examples to refresh my memory?

Jarvinen

Mar 27, 2022
I remember Team Finland blowing a 4 goal lead once. I bet we all remember that game - quarterfinals against Sweden in 2003.

I certainly can't remember us blowing a bigger lead that that. Do you have any other examples to refresh my memory?
You know what, I might actually be wrong. When I posted last night I remembered that game as a 5 goal lead and had a feeling that we've done it a few times, but I don't have any examples.

So I stand corrected, however, even though I am sober now I still would like to see the team keep on pushing until the end of the game.

Reactions: Sixbladeknife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad