GDT: WHC - Finland vs Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Don‘t you think you are too pessimistic? Even if Finland lose against the Czechs in regular time , the Czechs can get maximum 13 points. Finland already has 10 points now but they still play against Austria and Great Britain. They should manage against these two teams to get 4 points at least so Finland would finish at least with 14 points the preliminary round. 1 point more than the Czechs can attempt at maximum.
Czechs can get 16 points max. 4 more games so 12 points up for grabs.

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
For me as a fan of Team Finland - dissapointment.

For tournament a big boost. With regulation win Finland could have won the group, now everything possible and thriller just starts.

For me as a father of a goalie whose son has been practicing with Mikko Lehtonen in summers, seeing Bobby sucseed it was fun!

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Well then come and beat us once, just one single time in your own backyard.
All of that is irrelevant! The decisive factor is who does better in this tournament in the end. Finland has been much better in the last 3 tournaments. That's why writing about "little sister" doesn't exactly show seriousness.

Reactions: FinPanda

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Even if Finland lose against the Czechs in regular time , the Czechs can get maximum 13 points.
Czechs have played a game less. They have four left, so their maximum is 16.

The best case scenario for Finland would be CZE-USA going to OT. Then neither could overtake.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
All of that is irrelevant! The decisive factor is who does better in this tournament in the end. Finland has been much better in the last 3 tournaments. That's why writing about "little sister" doesn't exactly show seriousness.
It's fine, he doesn't remember what olympic hockey gold or world championship gold feels like.

Reactions: Lambo

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Don‘t you think you are too pessimistic? Even if Finland lose against the Czechs in regular time , the Czechs can get maximum 13 points. Finland already has 10 points now but they still play against Austria and Great Britain. They should manage against these two teams to get 4 points at least so Finland would finish at least with 14 points the preliminary round. 1 point more than the Czechs can attempt at maximum.

I'll start by saying that I think that Czechs will take full 3 points from USA, because I'm not impressed by USA at all and my feeling is that the Czechs will improve more when the tournament goes longer compared to USA. I don't see Czech losing anymore against any of the underdogs.

So I think that they will be 3 points behind of Finland before the FIN-CZE game. It is true that OT loss is enough for Finland in that scenario, but Czechs have a lot to gain in that game vs Finland and Czechs got a good Finnish coach who knows Finland very well and I see that as a problem.

member 305909

The tournament-format is merciful. It's not a big deal to lose a game or two in the group-stage.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It's fine, he doesn't remember what olympic hockey gold or world championship gold feels like.
You think I don't remember winning back to back worlds gold as recently as 2017 and 2018? Literally two tournaments have been played since. Sweden have 2 of the last 4 world championship golds.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
The trolling is real here :laugh:

Well its better than being overly salty. Can tell the loss didn't sting as much as it would've if it was playoff game.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
A win is worth 3 points, 4x3=12 points, just to clear it up for you
Mhm. The Czechs have played 3 games, and they have 4 points. So with 4 games left and 3 point wins from all of them, they'd be at 16. And Finland, assuming they clear GBR and AUT but lose to CZE would also have 16, with the Czechs having the tiebreak.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I think of Finland as little brother or sister because of population size (and th at it once was Swedish) . It dont mean that we are better at everything or anything at all realy.

In hockey we are still historicly better, but u are catching up. And yes i hate it.

Chompskiii

Mar 29, 2020
Mhm. The Czechs have played 3 games, and they have 4 points. So with 4 games left and 3 point wins from all of them, they'd be at 16. And Finland, assing they clear GBR and AUT but lose to CZE would also have 16, with the Czechs having the tiebreak.
I deleted right afterwards, I realized I made myself look really stupid, not fast enough for you though

Jarvinen

Mar 27, 2022
You think I don't remember winning back to back worlds gold as recently as 2017 and 2018? Literally two tournaments have been played since. Sweden have 2 of the last 4 world championship golds.
We also had the gold for two years (thank you Rona)

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Czechs can get 16 points max. 4 more games so 12 points up for grabs.
Oh yes, you are right. I had in mind that the Czechs already played 4 games not only 3, so they still can get 16 points. The key game for the Czechs and the Finns for the second place is then very likely the game against each other.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I think of Finland as little brother or sister because of population size (and th at it once was Swedish) . It dont mean that we are better at everything or anything at all realy.

In hockey we are still historicly better, but u are catching up. And yes i hate it.
Its more like a hockey thing. Because of everything happening in the world I would say Sweden and Finland have never been closer than we are right now. Idk what we would do without Sweden so I'm not even that bummed about losing to Sweden this tlme. Of course I'd wanted a win but there is perspective for everything.

Reactions: karhukissa

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I'll start by saying that I think that Czechs will take full 3 points from USA, because I'm not impressed by USA at all and my feeling is that the Czechs will improve more when the tournament goes longer compared to USA. I don't see Czech losing anymore against any of the underdogs.

So I think that they will be 3 points behind of Finland before the FIN-CZE game. It is true that OT loss is enough for Finland in that scenario, but Czechs have a lot to gain in that game vs Finland and Czechs got a good Finnish coach who knows Finland very well and I see that as a problem.
I strongly disagree, I don't see the Czechs as favorites against the USA at all. They are in crisis, the true reports have confirmed that Simon and Hronek had a physical clash and Simon flew home. Yes, they have Pastrnak now, but he is not a savior, he has finished the Boston-Carolina series with injuries and may be limited. In addition, they are now playing against Latvia, historically they are close games between them and only Czechs can lose more.

The USA can already count on Minnesota players, they will have a solid starter in the goal, they already have one bad result behind them. And if they can do something, then immediately after failure, they switch their thoughts to a new match and a new day. And again, the favorites before the start were Czechs, not the USA.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019

Yeah obviously Sweden is a big brother, and i don't think any Finn here really hates Sweden or Swedes here for that matter. These games wouldn't be anything without Sweden for us!

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019

It’s the Luleå connection, I keep telling you. Niinimaa didn’t know it at the time, but he was part of a greater picture alongside Jutila, Nieminen and Myllys.

Same with 2019, Tyrväinen and Ilomäki were playing like they’d already signed the deal: that goes without saying, but Toni Rajala as well — whose bloated contract the arguable nail in the coffin for Lars “The Cheese” Bergström’s career as Luleå team manager — might have been a disappointing waste of money for us, however the Luleå connection just means good luck for Team Finland, whether or not we know it at the time. Seeing as Rajala was so frustratingly disappointing during his Luleå days, I can only assume the reason he’s kept around Team Finland is due to having a known Luleå connection.

It’s always been this way with Finland and winning gold medals. In 2011, who knew Sami Lepistö’s world class 200 ft game in Luleå a decade later would have an effect on the outcome of those world championships? No one knew, but it did. Of course, the contributions to that gold medal by Pyörälä’s lukewarm 2012-13 stint with us, or the historically abysmal single game appearance by Niko Hovinen should not be understated: the Luleå connection works in mysterious ways.

Last edited:

Jarvinen

Mar 27, 2022
Its more like a hockey thing. Because of everything happening in the world I would say Sweden and Finland have never been closer than we are right now. Idk what we would do without Sweden so I'm not even that bummed about losing to Sweden this tlme. Of course I'd wanted a win but there is perspective for everything.
Thank you. That's it. That's why it didn't sting so bad this time.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I must say, the SWE-FIN connection is special, and there's nothing wrong with some friendly riffing between our dear neighbors. Unfortunately, certain people appear to take the rivalry far too seriously and go for outright smack talk. And there are such tools on both sides.

Of course, those people, who fail to realize it's just hockey, are really just making fools of themselves by putting their small-mindedness on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad