What's Your Postseason Lineup

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Would have been better if they could add a 2C and push Compher to 3C. Then the C depth looks a ton better. Alas they did nothing.
Absolutely. That’s what we should worry about. Injuries, because like I said, if completely healthy, that line up doesn’t look bad. I just have doubts about being healthy because they haven’t been all year and it continues to be an issue

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Absolutely. That’s what we should worry about. Injuries, because like I said, if completely healthy, that line up doesn’t look bad. I just have doubts about being healthy because they haven’t been all year and it continues to be an issue
Yah man. Our 2C got injured last playoffs and Compher filled in. Now if Compher gets injured who fills in there? Lars Eller? Newhook lol.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yah man. Our 2C got injured last playoffs and Compher filled in. Now if Compher gets injured who fills in there? Lars Eller? Newhook lol.
At that point they just have to put Mikko at C. Can’t go with Eller. Also ERod has gone cold so…..Newhook too inconsistent, it’s gotta be Mikko

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If they insist on putting Compher at 2C, then I imagine you insulate him as much as possible

Landeskog - Compher - Rantanen

Two guys who can help carry the center responsibilities. Just don't get caved and pray to sweet baby Jesus that MacKinnon and Makar puts this team on their back for four straight series'.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
While the JTC era officially began in the fall, I think a few more of y'all are starting to feel it sinking in now, eh?
The only sinking I feel is in my heart, because I know we can't win with him as our 2C. Cmac f***ed up and it's going to cost this franchise. The assets we held onto today will only keep us in a playoff position without actually winning a cup. Terrible f***ing year. Nothing but injury and disappointment.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Landeksog - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Compher - Rantanen
Newhook - Eller - Rodrigues
Cogliano - Helm - LOC
Nieto

Byram - Makar
Toews - Girard
Manson - EJ
JJ

Georgiev

Compher needs Rantanen imo. He can do the job if he’s got moose. That 4th line was great in the playoffs last year, so I’d go back to it. I’d be tempted to put Rodrigues at 3C just to try and get him going, but that shifts things around a lot.

Bednar always has the defence in a constant blender, so it won’t really matter what we put for pairings.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Landeksog - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Newhook - Eller - Rodrigues
Cogliano - Helm - LOC
Nieto

Byram - Makar
Toews - Girard
Manson - EJ
JJ

Georgiev

Compher needs Rantanen imo. He can do the job if he’s got moose. That 4th line was great in the playoffs last year, so I’d go back to it. I’d be tempted to put Rodrigues at 3C just to try and get him going, but that shifts things around a lot.

Bednar always has the defence in a constant blender, so it won’t really matter what we put for pairings.

He can’t against good competition. Just look at what happened against the Devils. He took Moose down to his level as well. Absolutely f***ing caved in.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Nichushkin
O'Connor - Newhook - Rodriguez
Cogliano - Eller - Helm
Nieto/Malgin

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - E. Johnson
J. Johnson

Georgiev
Francouz

There's only 5 players that played for the Avs last playoffs that aren't on the team now: Kadri, Burakovski, Sturm, Aube-Kubel, and Kuemper.

Eller <<< Kadri
Rodriguez < Burakovski
Nieto > Aube-Kubel
Malgin > Sturm
Georgiev >> Kuemper

If the Avs are healthy, they aren't that far off from last post-season.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I’d play Nieto over Eller if it came to that. I gotta see more of Eller, but the dude looks like he might be done being an impact player

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Forwards look awfully thin even without single injury.

Cogliano - Eller - Helm
Nieto/Malgin

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - E. Johnson
J. Johnson

Georgiev
Francouz

There's only 5 players that played for the Avs last playoffs that aren't on the team now: Kadri, Burakovski, Sturm, Aube-Kubel, and Kuemper.

Eller <<< Kadri
Rodriguez < Burakovski
Nieto > Aube-Kubel
Malgin > Sturm
Georgiev >> Kuemper

East looks way stronger this season than last and we are never injury free. We downgraded a lot compared to competition.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Cogliano - Eller - Helm
Nieto/Malgin

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - E. Johnson
J. Johnson

Georgiev
Francouz

Eller <<< Kadri
Rodriguez < Burakovski
Nieto > Aube-Kubel
Malgin > Sturm
Georgiev >> Kuemper

Sturm has 12 goals and 20 points for the Sharks. Not sure why it didn’t work out on the Avs

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Kadri broke our expectations of what a 2C is. JTC has been a middling 2C. Kadri was a 1C playing on the second line.
It's not about expectations, it's about who others teams have in that spot that Compher will be competing against:

Vegas - William Karlsson
Edmonton - Leon Draisaitl
L.A - Phillip Danault
Winnipeg - Mark Scheifele

Boston - David Krejci
NYR - Vincent Trocheck
Toronto - John Tavares
Tampa Bay - Anthony Cirelli
New Jersey - Nico Hischier

I don't think Compher wins any of those matchups. I think he beats out guys like Kotkaniemi (Carolina), Seguin (Dallas), and whoever Minnesota/Seattle have on their 2nd lines. That's not a lot, though.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
It's not about expectations, it's about who others teams have in that spot that Compher will be competing against:

Vegas - William Karlsson
L.A - Phillip Danault

Boston - David Krejci
NYR - Vincent Trocheck
Toronto - John Tavares

I don't think Compher wins any of those matchups. I think he beats out guys like Kotkaniemi (Carolina), Seguin (Dallas), and whoever Minnesota/Seattle have on their 2nd lines. That's not a lot, though.
How do we afford the cap hit for a 2C when there's no guarantee we have anyone on LTIR at the end of the season? Landy and Manson are most likely back before the season finishes, and EJ could be if his broken ankle is a 6 week heal rather than an 8+ one. No one on this forum knows at all what our LTIR prognosis is. CMac likely does.

People seem to be assuming that we had a shit load of LTIR cap we could use, but the chances are we could in fact have zero. So to bring in a top 2C (I'm also unsure of which ones were even available) would involve shipping out salary too. Moving Compher or Girard seemed to be the best candidates to afford a 2C but both of those moves don't improve our depth at all. If Compher goes our forward depth stays as it is. If Girard goes our D depth sucks.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Vegas - William Karlsson
L.A - Phillip Danault

Boston - David Krejci
NYR - Vincent Trocheck
Toronto - John Tavares

That’s fair, but how does Rantanen fair against the wings on their lines? How does Makar matchup against opposing teams number one defenceman? How does Georgiev fair against the goaltenders in the West?

It’s a team game.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
How do we afford the cap hit for a 2C when there's no guarantee we have anyone on LTIR at the end of the season? Landy and Manson are most likely back before the season finishes, and EJ could be if his broken ankle is a 6 week heal rather than an 8+ one. No one on this forum knows at all what our LTIR prognosis is. CMac likely does.

People seem to be assuming that we had a shit load of LTIR cap we could use, but the chances are we could in fact have zero. So to bring in a top 2C (I'm also unsure of which ones were even available) would involve shipping out salary too. Moving Compher or Girard seemed to be the best candidates to afford a 2C but both of those moves don't improve our depth at all. If Compher goes our forward depth stays as it is. If Girard goes our D depth sucks.
Absolutely LTIR would have been used. You seriously think if the Avs traded for a legitimate 2C they wouldn't just keep EJ on LTIR for an additional couple of weeks to recover from his ankle injury? It's a broken ankle.
That’s fair, but how does Rantanen fair against the wings on their lines? How does Makar matchup against opposing teams number one defenceman? How does Georgiev fair against the goaltenders in the West?

It’s a team game.
Of course it's a team game, but the centre position is so critical in the game of hockey for a reason. You're asking J.T. Compher to play upwards of 20 minutes per night. He's not that caliber of player, never has been and never will be.

Can he be that player for two months of the Avs trying to win another Cup? I don't know, but that's the bet MacFarland is making.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Lehk-Mack-Nuke
Lando-JTC-Rants
Hook-Eller-ERod
Nieto-Cogs-LOC
Malgin, Helm

Toews-Makar
Bo-Manson
G-EJ
JJ

George
Frank

By game 3 or 4 of the first round, those 3rd and 4th lines would be swapped IMO.

Eller is the only defensively capable forward on that line and your 3rd line is supposed to be able to handle themselves in their own zone. You don’t want Newhook or Rodrigues in their own zone.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
One alternative, tho very unlikely, option is to put Erod next to Mack to get the best out of him, and put Rantanen at 2C.

Erod-Mack-Nuke
Landy-Rants-Lehky
Newhook-Eller-JTC
Cogs/Nieto-Helm-LOC

Again, not likely but it's an option, probably more likely if JTC gets hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad