What's your Goaltending for next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I would not be surprised if Cam turns heads this year.

I’m still on the “Canes system ruins goalie stats” train and have a pet theory that Cam is actually a top 10 goalie of his generation and currently a top 20 goalie.

I only semi-believe this theory, so that if I’m right I can rub it in, and if I’m wrong I can just say “yeah but I mean I didn’t really mean it, just food for thought.”

It’s a hedging thing, really.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Ward has consistently been middle of the pack, or a little below, among starters in GAA in recent years; he's not letting in a ton of goals against. Yet, his SV% is awful. Is that because the defense is limiting shots against, thus minimizing the opportunities for goals against, or is the lack of shots masking average starting goaltending or thereabout? To ask it in another way, would his GAA go up if he faced more shots against in a different defensive system?

From what I saw under Peters, I'm not sure it would. I saw a team defense that gave up a fair share of quality chances against, particularly off the rush. The puck possession and aggressive gaps had the effect of limiting weaker chances, thus putting downward pressure on SV%.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I feel like Cam's problems in recent years have been consistency and letting in a bad goal at a bad time. He's capable of having a good run for a month or two, but he can't keep it going for long enough. He also gives up some backbreakers.

Of course, he looked great when he was actually in a back up role last year because it was probably easier to hide those two issues. I think he'll do pretty well if he gets to be a backup on a good team. Whether or not Chicago is that good team anymore is hard to say. We were just higher in the standings than them with the worst goalie in the league starting about half of our games. Of course, that is partially because of Cam's contributions, inconsistent or not.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Of all the things I'm mad at Ron Francis about, his signing of Darling for four years thus forcing Cam Ward out of town is right up there at the top. Cam would have been a perfect backup for the final few seasons of his career and could've retired as a life-long Cane. Instead, this. Again, not my money, but this would be very high on my list of "reasons to buy out Scott Darling."

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
I know we are in dire need of goaltending and I completely understand moving away from Ward...

But if and when he leaves I will be sad. Sad because I was hoping he would stay his entire career here (which doesn’t happen a lot) and now he probably played his last game at home without getting the correct amount of recognition.

In true Cam Ward fashion, even when he leaves he doesn’t get the credit he deserves.

Of all the things I'm mad at Ron Francis about, his signing of Darling for four years thus forcing Cam Ward out of town is right up there at the top. Cam would have been a perfect backup for the final few seasons of his career and could've retired as a life-long Cane. Instead, this. Again, not my money, but this would be very high on my list of "reasons to buy out Scott Darling."

Amen

I would not be surprised if Cam turns heads this year.

I’m still on the “Canes system ruins goalie stats” train and have a pet theory that Cam is actually a top 10 goalie of his generation and currently a top 20 goalie.

I only semi-believe this theory, so that if I’m right I can rub it in, and if I’m wrong I can just say “yeah but I mean I didn’t really mean it, just food for thought.”

It’s a hedging thing, really.

Absolutely. I just had a post sharing that in 2010-11 he had 17 games where he faces 40 or more shots. The next goalie was at 9.

Last edited by a moderator:

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I totally believe that high shot suppression negatively impacts a goaltenders performance. Most goaltenders seem to play better when they were seeing more shots and can "get in a grove" . This is all anecdotal evidence... curious what the stats show, but i do think peters system was too rigid for all goaltenders to succeed.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I totally believe that high shot suppression negatively impacts a goaltenders performance. Most goaltenders seem to play better when they were seeing more shots and can "get in a grove" . This is all anecdotal evidence... curious what the stats show, but i do think peters system was too rigid for all goaltenders to succeed.

It's not just that but systems like that suppress a lot of low chance opportunities but what they give up are usually quality chances.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Stolen from MB:

Rask (UFA)
HUTTON
Ullmark
Howard BERNIER
Luongo Reimer
Price Niemi
(Anderson/trade) Condon
Vasilevskiy Domingue
Andersen (McElhinney/Sparks)

(UFA) Darling
Bobrovsky Korpisalo
Schneider Kinkaid
(UFA) Greiss
Lundqvist (UFA)
Elliott (Neuvirth/Lyon)
Murray DeSmith
Holtby (UFA)

Crawford Ward
Varlamov Grubauer
Bishop (UFA)
Dubnyk Stalock
Rinne Saros
Allen (UFA)
Winnipeg Mason

Gibson Miller
Raanta Kuemper
Smith Rittich
Talbot (Koskinen/Montoya)
Quick (Campbell/Budaj)
Jones Dell
Markstrom Nilsson
Fleury (Subban/Dansk)

Lehner, Halak, Lehtonen, and Khudobin are left. I doubt Halak returns to the Isles. Maybe the Blues makes more sense for him.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If we are keeping Darling because we think we can ‘fix’ him, then I think this season is likely a wash and we are competing for Hughes next year. If that is the case, I’d swing for the fences and take a risk on an up and coming goalie prospect instead of a retread. I think Sparks from the Marlies has shown he’s ready for an NHL audition and wouldn’t cost too much.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
In this scenario, both Booth and Helvig would be in the E. Do we really want that?
To start the year? Yeah sure that's fine. And if Darling shows that he doesn't have it any more then you call up whichever of those two is playing best to the AHL and basically tell Vellucci that Scott's done and to play Ned and Helvig/Booth. Nothing really precludes the Checkers from carrying 3 goalies.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I've seen Schneider's name thrown out here...is he actually in play, or was that talk just fantasy?

If it's not fantasy, and he didn't cost any of (a roster player, our 1st pick in 2019, Necas, or Svechnikov), would you do it? At 32 years old and $6M for 4 years with a NTC, he's not a slam dunk decision in my estimation.

Reactions: Unsustainable

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I've seen Schneider's name thrown out here...is he actually in play, or was that talk just fantasy?

If it's not fantasy, and he didn't cost any of (a roster player, our 1st pick in 2019, Necas, or Svechnikov), would you do it? At 32 years old and $6M for 4 years with a NTC, he's not a slam dunk decision in my estimation.
In play is speculation but based on solid information that New Jersey is likely to move forward with Kinkaid as their #1 goalie after his play last season.

Making a deal around him or Varlamov is still my #1 realistic idea regarding our goaltending situation, but I'm thinking they're leaning toward Lehner at this point just based off of the other goalie free agents going elsewhere.

TBH I'm actually glad that Hutton seems to be picking Buffalo over us, I think whoever he was going to end up with was going to be making a big mistake along the lines of the one we made with Darling.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Just not sure why there isn't more Khudobin in this thread....true back up, 1b in a pinch.
Not sure he's all that interested in coming back, though it's possible with Ward now gone. That said, also not sure he's a starter type goalie. Definitely a guy you can count on for 40-50 games if needed, but we need at least 15 more then the high end of that if Darling's going to be part of the tandem.

Reactions: Unsustainable
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad