Post-Game Talk: What's your favorite win against Chicago?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Datsyuk had a phenomenal game. Made the most important play on both goals, both a result of his incredible defensive prowess. Had like 6 shots on goal as well. Good to see.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
IMO you can't have a good game as a d-man when you give up the puck for prime scoring chance right in front of your net and get caught up ice at least twice...so for those saying Smith had a "good game", I don't agree at all. As a matter of fact, the Smith/Marchenko pairing looked extremely suspect defensively, especially in their own end and were VERY fortunate not to give up at least two goals. I thought Marchenko kind of stabilized as the game wore on, but that pair needs a ton of work just to be competent on defense.

Do you ever post about players not named Smith? Personally, I never really liked the taste of low hanging fruit. You, however, never seem to tire of it.

Quincy and Dekeyser both got burned last night trying to make the same short, backhand pass up the middle. No mention of those two though.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I hate Kane. But he's so damn good. Just sick hands. It was really tough when he was clearly Team USA's best player and rooting for him in the Olympics made me feel dirty.

Oh yeah, Kane is one of my least favorite players in the league, but they both are smallish, tremendously talented, puck driving players with amazing hands. Not to mention they both have a lot of swagger.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Oh yeah, Kane is one of my least favorite players in the league, but they both are smallish, tremendously talented, puck driving players with amazing hands. Not to mention they both have a lot of swagger.

There are a lot of similarities to be sure, but here's a BIG difference.

Tatar 2.75m cap hit this year and next two years.

Kane 6.3m cap hit this year and 10.5m cap hit till the sun explodes.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
There are a lot of similarities to be sure, but here's a BIG difference.

Tatar 2.75m cap hit this year and next two years.

Kane 6.3m cap hit this year and 10.5m cap hit till the sun explodes.

I can get down with that. :yo:

Can't wait to see the Hawks dismantled this summer because of those Toews and Kane contracts.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Thought Datsyuk was the best player for either team last night. He was a force everywhere on the ice.

Still able to strip even the best players of the puck. What a treat. It's going to be a sad day for hockey when he hangs em up.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 51m51 minutes ago
Q on Hossa and Datsyuk trading steals: "They keep score between faceoffs when they talk to each other. I think that’s a true story."

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 51m51 minutes ago
Q on Hossa and Datsyuk trading steals: "They keep score between faceoffs when they talk to each other. I think that’s a true story."

That was pure hockey gold. Two great players punking each other. God, I will miss Pavel when he's finished. Players like that don't come along often. Great effort by Howard to keep us in the game until we got our legs under us. And Helm has become a really exciting player, not quite the finisher that Pavel is but that speed is so great to watch.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Makes you really wonder. Do our Corsi/Fenwick numbers come from scraping NHL stats?

Are we putting garbage in and getting garbage out?

Sounds like that's what Babcock is suggesting.

I'm also glad to hear he's using it as a tool, but not as some kind of end all. Scoring chances is a much better barometer and the type of metric the team should be keeping internally, as I'm sure they have their own idea of what type of quality scoring chances they want.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

I'm also glad to hear he's using it as a tool, but not as some kind of end all. Scoring chances is a much better barometer and the type of metric the team should be keeping internally, as I'm sure they have their own idea of what type of quality scoring chances they want.

Any competent management should be employing their own stat watchers in my opinion.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Any competent management should be employing their own stat watchers in my opinion.

I think for the very reason that what one team might consider a "scoring chance" another team may not want to count. How a team generates offense can be up for debate. Is a point shot from the blueline a "scoring chance"? It can be, sometimes, maybe... depends who is shooting, eh?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I like this part
Babcock said. “And I think it doesn’t tell the story, so to me, it’s like all stats, stats can tell any story you want.

I think all those stats Are a useful tool for us fans, journalists .... But not for Babcock. Babcock is above them. Some other coaches too.
It's like if you want to make money on the stock exchange, you have to be ahead of trends. That is Babcock.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I like this part

I think all those stats Are a useful tool for us fans, journalists .... But not for Babcock. Babcock is above them. Some other coaches too.
It's like if you want to make money on the stock exchange, you have to be ahead of trends. That is Babcock.
That's not saying Babs is above stats. He likes stats. He just doesn't put absolute faith in them when they don't match what he sees. Like most people. And moreover he seems to think that the NHL.com stats are suspect. I've noticed that they're pretty crap for things like giveaways and takeaways but Babs goes further and says even objective things like TOI are flawed on the stats sheet. Sounds more like he uses in house stats than NHL.com stats.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Makes you really wonder. Do our Corsi/Fenwick numbers come from scraping NHL stats?

Are we putting garbage in and getting garbage out?

I highly doubt these are egregious errors. And if the errors are uniform, it shouldn't matter when comparing players/teams relatively speaking.

What I worry about, however, are reputation stats. If you see Datsyuk make a play, are you more inclined to see it as a takeaway than if Riley Sheahan does it? Are you more inclined to tally a hit for Abdelkader when you see that #8 than you would if it were #14 on the back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad