What's wrong with Semin ?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
He's looked a bit more noticible the last two games. Still, obviously, not where we'd like him to be, but no where near as tentative as earlier.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Hmmm. Thought he was terrible in both games besides his really nice tip to Jordan for his goal. He does work hard in the defensive end, I'll give him that. But $6 million for that? I'm beginning to worry.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Like I said, he's not where we'd like him to be, but I saw improvements in his offensive game against both teams. Shot selection, fighting for pucks, knowing when to pass, etc.

And it's 7 million, IIRC. :sarcasm: :laugh:

I do miss the days when the most we could criticize him for was his uncanny ability to hit the post.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Like I said, he's not where we'd like him to be, but I saw improvements in his offensive game against both teams. Shot selection, fighting for pucks, knowing when to pass, etc.

And it's 7 million, IIRC. :sarcasm: :laugh:

I do miss the days when the most we could criticize him for was his uncanny ability to hit the post.

I'd be happy if he'd get his shots off without being blocked. But that hesitation that you mentioned, I still see way too much of it. Stupid Muller.

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
Alex's wrist does bother him: most likely will have off–season surgery. His production worries him a lot. Hopefully, it will pick up

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
I thought Semin had a pretty solid game last night. The line with Jordan and Gerbe were noticeably the best line all night. He seemed more decisive and looked very determined. I really thought he was going to pot one in the third, when it was still 2-1 the way he was firing.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
No surprise given that Semin, Gerbe and Jordan are their best possession players. Whether or not Gerbe is a true "Top 6" guy, he's playing like it this year. He's winning battles, he's going to the net, he's back checking, and he's scoring. Maybe it's him in a contract year, but he's one of the few guys I don't have a problem with.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
One thing about Semin - watch him on a breakout. He does everything in his power NOT to carry the puck. If J Staal or Gerbe passes it to him, he rifles it back to them right away. Sometimes a guy like Crosby does that, but it's more accurate AND it serves a purpose. Semin is acting like the puck is a hot potato.

This is not the same guy from last year, not even close. I truly hope he IS injured, because if it's three or four more years of this, he's going to get driven out of town.

On a positive note, he still is quite adept defensively and backchecks hard. But he's not paid to do that, me needs to put the puck in the net at a much higher pace.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
His shot power is still there. That slapshot (wrist?) that bounced so hard off the boards it nearly it was nearly butt-goaled by Fleury...that was vintage Semin.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
His shot power is still there. That slapshot (wrist?) that bounced so hard off the boards it nearly it was nearly butt-goaled by Fleury...that was vintage Semin.

Notice how long it took him to get it off? No time at all...one of the first times all season he just turned around and hammered it. Wish that would stick in his mind.

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
My trip to Raleigh truly made me think differently of Alex. I always thought that he is that party guy (His reputation from his Wash days with Ovie), "me first" type of attitude and so on... WOW, was I wrong! REALLY professional in his approach to the game; does NOT care too much about personal statistics (was P.Off after the Columbus game – even though he was 1+1, but the team lost... Really wants to get into the play offs)... After games all he talks about for at least an hour are the moments from the game... he proved me wrong. I did not think he cared.

I think you guys actually got the awesome version of Semin: he grew up. Stats will come.

Plus, he was really awesome with my kids: that is a definite plus in my book!)))

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
My trip to Raleigh truly made me think differently of Alex. I always thought that he is that party guy (His reputation from his Wash days with Ovie), "me first" type of attitude and so on... WOW, was I wrong! REALLY professional in his approach to the game; does NOT care too much about personal statistics (was P.Off after the Columbus game – even though he was 1+1, but the team lost... Really wants to get into the play offs)... After games all he talks about for at least an hour are the moments from the game... he proved me wrong. I did not think he cared.

I think you guys actually got the awesome version of Semin: he grew up. Stats will come.

Plus, he was really awesome with my kids: that is a definite plus in my book!)))

Glad to hear that. Russkis are tough to read, and I've always been a defender of Semin, but sometimes I'm not sure what goes on in his head.

After recently tweaking my wrist, I have a much greater appreciation for how hard it is to play with a little injury like that. Barely sprained (I think) and I can't pass the Gordon Bombay test. He's looked stronger with his hands as of late, so hopefully he's not a ***** like me and can play through it.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
No surprise given that Semin, Gerbe and Jordan are their best possession players. Whether or not Gerbe is a true "Top 6" guy, he's playing like it this year. He's winning battles, he's going to the net, he's back checking, and he's scoring. Maybe it's him in a contract year, but he's one of the few guys I don't have a problem with.

I think Gerbe is doing what Tlusty did on that line with Eric and Semin last year now. Putting away the loose change from Semin's shot.

I think last years and this years concussion plus his wrist are reasons his shots are off. If Feeds report on offseason surgery are true, I think we will have ppg or better Semin next season, this season we are getting the other part of his game.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

I would like to meet him one day. I have a Canes Semin Away Jersey, and a certified autographed puck from him.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think Gerbe is doing what Tlusty did on that line with Eric and Semin last year now. Putting away the loose change from Semin's shot.

That's selling Gerbe a bit short since he's only played with Semin for a handful of games. Tlusty had a strong season on the strength of an unsustainable shooting percentage and banging home Semin's shots/passes. Gerbe is winning battles and crashing the net, and already has almost as many primary assists as Tlusty had last year while his 8 goals have come on a 7.1 shooting percentage, right around his career average.

It could be an aberration for Gerbe who's in a contract year, but he has scored 16 goals before while playing with Paul Gaustad. I could see him hitting 20 if that line stays together.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Just a different skillset. Gerbe is a 'hard work' guy. He gets his chances by initiating contact, and finding the puck in a scrum.

Tlusty finds a hole in the defense, and finishes with skill.

The problem for Tlusty being that nobody is setting him up for him to finish this year. Whereas, you can always just bang bodies in front of the net, and hope for the best.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Oops, I didn't even mean to make that pun, hah.

But yeah, Wally hit it on the head. I don't remember Tlusty battling out front. He's been parked there, but only when there's no one else around him.

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007

I think last years and this years concussion plus his wrist are reasons his shots are off. If Feeds report on offseason surgery are true, I think we will have ppg or better Semin next season, this season we are getting the other part of his game.
Maybe getting snubbed from the Olympics is a blessing in disguise, giving him more time to rest his injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad