What's wrong with Kopitar?

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Best player in the league last year, or was it the year before?

The revolving door at the beginning of the season of who is going to be better than malkin/crosby/stamkos, continues.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The fact he doesn't have an accent despite growing up in Yugoslavia. :laugh:

That is just amazing to me.

He spent a lot of his formative years playing hockey in Sweden.

Some of those 90 point predictions playing along side Gaborik are looking pretty funny now. Should finish around his usual 70-75 pts.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Bit surprised to see Kopitar doing so poor. Hopefully he'll get it together soon, he's to talented not to.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Don't worry Kings fans. He's just in a slump, give him some time and he'll be good to go again. He's still a pretty effective player, who will get 60-70 pts while playing a great defensive game. I still value him as much as Bergeron and I believe he's a top 20 player.

A few notable players have also had a rough start to the season : Ales Hemsky, Alexander Semin, Evander Kane, Nail Yakupov, TJ Oshie...

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
Gretzky placed way too much pressure on him when he called him the best player in the league behind Crosby and Toews.
L.A. just don't score a lot, every year they struggle to score goals. Switch Kopitar and Toews and I bet the numbers would reflect the change.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
The team in general, just takes periods of time off. They rest during the year, Kopitar included.

It drives you nuts as a fan, but they have proven it to be a very successful formula.

There are 14 teams in the West, Avs, Yotes, Oilers,Stars are probably going to be out.

So you are down to 10 teams that compete for 8 playoff spots. Kings just need to finish better than 2 of those.

If Kopitar still sucking in Feb, the there are issues.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The team in general, just takes periods of time off. They rest during the year, Kopitar included.

It drives you nuts as a fan, but they have proven it to be a very successful formula.

There are 14 teams in the West, Avs, Yotes, Oilers,Stars are probably going to be out.

So you are down to 10 teams that compete for 8 playoff spots. Kings just need to finish better than 2 of those.

If Kopitar still sucking in Feb, the there are issues.

If true it is not exactly a smart strategy. I am thinking a mix of cup hangover and injury.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
If true it is not exactly a smart strategy. I am thinking a mix of cup hangover and injury.

they have done it 3 years in a row, 2 cups and 1 WCF, its worked very well for them.

If you are going to have deep runs in the playoff every year, you might need to take more regular season games off, especially if you play that grinding the style the Kings employ. They have more or less admitted in the past they do take games off.

Again as a fan it drives you nuts, Dec/Jan normally suck if you are Kings fan.
But lately April and beyond have been lots of fun.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
For all the praise that Kopitar and Doughty receive for their playoff success (and they deserve every bit of it, coming from a Ducks fan), I have heard Kings fans say in that both of those guys are inconsistent in the regular season. Kopitar just disappears for stretches.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
He and Gaborik had amazing chemistry last season and I think he is feeling a bit of a letdown by not having Gabby on the ice... Now, I know that Gabby wasn't around for the majority of Anze's career in LA, but linemates that have chemistry together is a tough thing to reproduce inorganically.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
they have done it 3 years in a row, 2 cups and 1 WCF, its worked very well for them.

If you are going to have deep runs in the playoff every year, you might need to take more regular season games off, especially if you play that grinding the style the Kings employ. They have more or less admitted in the past they do take games off.

Again as a fan it drives you nuts, Dec/Jan normally suck if you are Kings fan.
But lately April and beyond have been lots of fun.

There are two kinds of teams in the NHL. Those who have to battle for a playoff spot from game 1 of the 82-game regular season, and the above average teams who know they will be in the playoffs and can take a few liberties and enjoy some luxuries that the lesser teams cannot.

As a 'Hawks fan I see us carrying a $4 million luxury in Bryan Bickell who doesn't do much until the playoffs start. If we were battling for a playoff spot rather than having some breathing room, we could not afford to have him on the roster.

Kopitar and the Kings will be fine. For them the regular season is show business time. They'll start getting serious after the new year when they turn their attention to the real business that begins in April.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
his performance this season reminds of getzlaf in 2011-2012

it's just an off season. everyone has one

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
For all the praise that Kopitar and Doughty receive for their playoff success (and they deserve every bit of it, coming from a Ducks fan), I have heard Kings fans say in that both of those guys are inconsistent in the regular season. Kopitar just disappears for stretches.

Yeah, this is a good point. This is a semi-regular occurrence each season. All of our stars have scoring slumps at different points of the season. No one really becomes consistent until mid-April.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
Even Sutter called him out, but I don't think he's going to scratch him. Maybe he pulled a groin making the baby?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The thing is, during his past slumps, he was still doing all the things right with the puck. I have never seen, in his entire career, the sheer amount of giveaways, bad decisions, getting bumped off the puck, and big hits Kopitar has had to endure this season so far. It's more than just a slump. Could be any combination of fatigue/injury/hangover/personal matters, but it's more than just his stats right now. It makes me wonder if he previous 'upper-body injury' was a concussion that we missed. That being said, if there was ever a King that was due for a bad season, it's Kopi. We've been spoiled by his health and consistency over the years.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Gretzky placed way too much pressure on him when he called him the best player in the league behind Crosby and Toews.
L.A. just don't score a lot, every year they struggle to score goals. Switch Kopitar and Toews and I bet the numbers would reflect the change.

Gretzky also said that I was the best player not playing in the NHL, so I don't think that it means too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad