What's with all the negative threads?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Even with Visnovsky this is a bubble team at best, not exactly success. Should a 37-38 year old dman brought in for 1 season change ones expectations?

Streit missed an entire year due to injury and we sucked and people used that as an excuse for the bottom 5 finish. Streit returned the following year and we still finished in the bottom 5. Injuries/Vis situations are excuses losing teams use.

The Isles are playing great hockey right now. They are getting secondary scoring and the goalies have given them a chance to win every night. When watching them, it's obvious they need one more legit NHL defenseman to move the puck and take pressure off Streit, Hamonic, and MacDonald, Visnovsky could have been that guy.

So to answer your question, yes the addition of Lubo changed fans expectations for the Isles this season.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
The Isles are playing great hockey right now. They are getting secondary scoring and the goalies have given them a chance to win every night. When watching them, it's obvious they need one more legit NHL defenseman to move the puck and take pressure off Streit, Hamonic, and MacDonald, Visnovsky could have been that guy.

So to answer your question, yes the addition of Lubo changed fans expectations for the Isles this season.

We are only 4 games into the season. I have been impressed with the team after 4 games but we still have a long way to go. We still have a roster full of AHL players and guys playing in roles above their capabilities. This team needs more than Visnivsky to be anything more than a weak bubble team. Which teams in the east with Visnovsky in the lineup are we better than? Maybe Montreal, Florida and Toronto. This team still has far too many holes and they were not properly addressed.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Been a fan since day one (I was at the first game at the Coliseum a 3-2 win over LA). I live upstate about 4 hours away. Until 2007 I would make around 10 trips to games each season. When I started teaching in 1975 I always had an annual trip with my class to a game. Because of Wang, I just don't make the trip anymore-I would have to leave directly from school, after the game get home around 2:30 AM in the morning and then have to get up early if it was a weekday game. The last few years I have taken the class to an AHL game in Albany instead. I don't like the way Wang runs his business
so I stopped being a customer. If you want to call me a bad fan, so be it.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
The Flyers revamped their roster to return to a winning state.

In other words, A REBUILD.

Of course, LI reasoning would have you think a rebuild is only when we draft talent and sprinkle in vets only when we're ready to compete.

The Pens drafted talent and when they drafted Crosby, had veterans ready to bring success to the prospects. Which guys were inserted into the lineup the year before Sid and Sid's draft year? What vets? They rebuild

Phoenix....what path did they take? Bring in vets and kids after developing them?

Chicago....kids, drafting, several swats at bringing in vets?

Carolina....what path in their rebuild?

So yeah, what's your point?

And LA and St.Louis are doing well in their "player rearrangements" as well.

We will have to agree to disagree. OlTime I read and respect many of your posts but you remind me of an old college professor of mine from Texas. I can still hear his twang; " you all are entitled to your own opinion however wrong it may be."
Also I am counting the years on the rebuild 07-08 (2008 draft) season under Snow as that is the year Smyth left and Snow decided he would have to go the rebuild.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
We are only 4 games into the season. I have been impressed with the team after 4 games but we still have a long way to go. We still have a roster full of AHL players and guys playing in roles above their capabilities. This team needs more than Visnivsky to be anything more than a weak bubble team. Which teams in the east with Visnovsky in the lineup are we better than? Maybe Montreal, Florida and Toronto. This team still has far too many holes and they were not properly addressed.

On paper yes, but the lockerroom is pretty tight from the sound of it and teams can overachieve. We'll see I guess.

Why do you think this team has so many holes?

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
The Flyers revamped their roster to return to a winning state.

In other words, A REBUILD.

Of course, LI reasoning would have you think a rebuild is only when we draft talent and sprinkle in vets only when we're ready to compete.

The Pens drafted talent and when they drafted Crosby, had veterans ready to bring success to the prospects. Which guys were inserted into the lineup the year before Sid and Sid's draft year? What vets? They rebuilt.

Phoenix....what path did they take? Bring in vets and kids after developing them?

Chicago....kids, drafting, several swats at bringing in vets?

Carolina....what path in their rebuild?

So yeah, what's your point?

And LA and St.Louis are doing well in their "player rearrangements" as well.

Presently:
FLYERS have not won the cup despite their rebuild/reload/revamp whatever you want to call it. St Louis has not won the cup. Vancouver has not won the cup. Despite two top picks in rebuild mode landing them Crosby and Malkin the PEns have one cup in that time frame and have holes all over.

Original Rob

Aug 9, 2011
Umm....what fan can run his favorite team the way he wants?

So we mist sit passively, stay positive and sing, "I'm an Oscar Meyer Weener" happily on the couch at age forty, naked and content, while we suck?

I see the positives. I just hate the negatives and want them changed.

Every stinking year.

Bravo :handclap:

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
On paper yes, but the lockerroom is pretty tight from the sound of it and teams can overachieve. We'll see I guess.

Why do you think this team has so many holes?

Snow has not addressed problems properly. The team even with Visnovsky has a below average defense with not true top pairing dman. I view Streit, Hamonic, and Visnovsky as quality second pairing guys. We also lack secondary scoring long enough to keep the team afloat over 82 (48) games.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Presently:
FLYERS have not won the cup despite their rebuild/reload/revamp whatever you want to call it. St Louis has not won the cup. Vancouver has not won the cup. Despite two top picks in rebuild mode landing them Crosby and Malkin the PEns have one cup in that time frame and have holes all over.

Flyers won a playoff round last year and have a solid core and owner who spends and will be a threat for years to come. St. Louis i might be mistaken was a 1 seed last year and has drafted great and signs quality veterans to surround them with out even spending to the cap! Vancouver.. Seriously? They're a cup contender every year.. I'm not even going to describe the penguins cause they're LIGHTYEARS ahead of the islanders. Not being negative I love this team I never miss a game regardless of how crappy they are.. I'm also realistic though.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
There is no breaking point..... the whole idea of a successful rebuild is to improve the team primarily through the draft, and improve every year. I'm not talking about how many points the NHL team gets in a given year, mind you.... I'm talking about top to bottom improvement, year over year.

I think we've done that so far. It's been slow, but steady.... and we're just starting to bear the fruits of that throughout the system.

In 2008, we didn't have squat.... not in the NHL level, not in the minors. We were dead MF'ing last on both accounts actually. Today, we've got some good young pieces at the NHL level, signed to long term, team friendly deals. We've got a much improved team at the AHL level and good prospects in Europe, the CHL and NCAA. The Islanders farm is roundly considered one of the best in all of hockey.

Just because we're not a powerhouse right now, doesn't mean the rebuild is failing.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lots of people said the boiling/breaking point was this season. Some say its next, some say its 2 years when we make it to Brooklyn, some say its a 3 years after we establish a year in Brooklyn.

The real answer is we are past the breaking point. The team sucks and won't improve until we have a new owner, GM, coach etc

I'm going to make this quote my new signature and a warning for all the negative Nancies out there. Basically, this guy has just put down on paper that this team will not improve without a new owner, gm and coach.. and etc. First of all, etc can be a lot of different things. Looks like we are dealing with a rocket scientist here. Secondly, all it will take is a 1 season with a better winning % to make your statement totally false. I'll be here to call you out when it happens...you can count on that!:nod:

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
[/B]

I'm going to make this quote my new signature and a warning for all the negative Nancies out there. Basically, this guy has just put down on paper that this team will not improve without a new owner, gm and coach.. and etc. First of all, etc can be a lot of different things. Looks like we are dealing with a rocket scientist here. Secondly, all it will take is a 1 season with a better winning % to make your statement totally false. I'll be here to call you out when it happens...you can count on that!:nod:

It's the truth. The Isles have been treading water in last for 5 years with lotto picks. They have not won a playoff round under this owner, have made the playoffs once under this GM, and have never made the playoffs under this coach. Remember 53% of the league makes the playoffs, its not a huge accomplishment to just make it.

I would love for you to call me out it would actually mean a winning season and advancing in the playoffs. Making the playoffs as an 8 seed and getting embarrassed like 1994 is not much to brag about.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
are we really on the right path when 5+ years of garths reign we need to pick up 4 or 5 players from the waiver wire to have a team for opening night?

yes i know they have played well but we are 4 games in and we scored a ton of goals agains very weak defenses , the leafs are in worse shape than us!

the truth is IF wang does splurge some cash, its not going to be until we are already in brooklyn.
so thats a few more years of probably not having a well rounded team.

I've followed this team for 34 years, yes its my choice but i also have to right to call them out when they do stupid things (like making the backup goalie the GM)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
There is no breaking point..... the whole idea of a successful rebuild is to improve the team primarily through the draft, and improve every year. I'm not talking about how many points the NHL team gets in a given year, mind you.... I'm talking about top to bottom improvement, year over year.

I think we've done that so far. It's been slow, but steady.... and we're just starting to bear the fruits of that throughout the system.

In 2008, we didn't have squat.... not in the NHL level, not in the minors. We were dead MF'ing last on both accounts actually. Today, we've got some good young pieces at the NHL level, signed to long term, team friendly deals. We've got a much improved team at the AHL level and good prospects in Europe, the CHL and NCAA. The Islanders farm is roundly considered one of the best in all of hockey.

Just because we're not a powerhouse right now, doesn't mean the rebuild is failing.

What they have done with the farm has been good. However, there comes a point in time when you need to augment your kids with good vets, in part to help them develop and also to instill some confidence. Vets are a stabilizing force on a young team. The vets they have filled in with regularly have been a smattering of ancient, derelict, uninvolved, or so bad an ECHL team would have dumped them. It also is critical to have the right coach in place. Gordo, Cappo, Weight... Not the right people with the possible exception of Doug, but only in a support role like now as his head coaching experience is 0 years, 0 months, and a few games if that.

That's where this club has been failing in the rebuild.

That said, still 500 on the year, so that is encouraging, but eventually our division is going to whittle them down to size.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
are we really on the right path when 5+ years of garths reign we need to pick up 4 or 5 players from the waiver wire to have a team for opening night?

yes i know they have played well but we are 4 games in and we scored a ton of goals agains very weak defenses , the leafs are in worse shape than us!

the truth is IF wang does splurge some cash, its not going to be until we are already in brooklyn.
so thats a few more years of probably not having a well rounded team.

I've followed this team for 34 years, yes its my choice but i also have to right to call them out when they do stupid things (like making the backup goalie the GM)

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Let's be honest here:

I'm 26 years old....and I can't remember the last time the Islander won a playoff series. Yes a PLAYOFF SERIES. 8 teams do this every single year (or 27% of the league). I've stuck with this team (and will continue to do so) during the good times and ba...ok just the bad times.

It's YEARS and YEARS into the rebuild and what do they have to show for it? NOTHING! They've accomplished nothing. Hell Milbury-yes Milbury-accomplished more than Snow!

People have the nerve to call "negative fans" impatient and tell them to get lost? Get off of your high horses-we're all fans and we all want this team to succeed. But the last time the Isles won a series was in 1993! That's 20 years!

This is what's happened in the NHL since the last time the Isles won a playoff series:

-Nashville, Columbus, Minnesota, Jets (Thrashers), Florida, Ducks all became teams-that's 6 teams.
-12 different teams have won the cup
-19 different teams have been to the cup finals

-The Richard Trophy was created
-Winnipeg lost a team...and then gained another team
-Hartford lost a team....Carolina gained a team
-Phoenix gained a team
-Quebec lost a team....Colorado gained a team
-The NHL has experienced 3 lockouts
-The Isles have had 14 different head coaches (11 if you don't count interm)
-The Isles have had 9 captains

And people are going to call us "impatient" and tell us to get lost? Spare me. Some of you will live in the early 80s forever-and I get it. The pathetic thing is that outside of that and a fluke year in 93-we as a fanbase have nothing else to stand on.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Presently:

So they have no rebuilt until they have multiple Cups?

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
We will have to agree to disagree. OlTime I read and respect many of your posts but you remind me of an old college professor of mine from Texas. I can still hear his twang; " you all are entitled to your own opinion however wrong it may be."
Also I am counting the years on the rebuild 07-08 (2008 draft) season under Snow as that is the year Smyth left and Snow decided he would have to go the rebuild.

Hey, no prob.

The point is.....when you stay positive as a matter of tactic, you disavow yourself from any higher expectation.

I want the Cup.

Any player on the team who buys into the coaches post game Mumbo Jumbo about putting in a good effort and bad bounces and so on I want traded, even if it were JT.

Arbour would have his colon decorating his ear lobes if a player talked that way.

So goes the GM. I look at progress. Milbury had an AMAZING turnaround in one year. Snow has gone from last to last to last to last in his rebuild. I see progress, but then again, I see we still suck. I do not see a Peca, an Aucoin, a Yash, an Osgood.....I don't see us winning. What did St.Louis, LA, Philly, Phoenix and Chicago all do? They started winning and making the playoffs. In what timeframe?

But, as one notable poster above says, we'll have to wait until they have two or more Cups before their rebuilds are technically over. :laugh:

We disagree, maybe, but we're borthers in arms with this perennially sh**ty team.:yo: (that hasn't won two Cups yet)

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
What's with all the negative thread?

Answer: We lost our last game. Doom is impending obviously :sarcasm:
1994-2013 minus 2001 = get a clue.:laugh:

After the Isles left the Jets arena, several members of the team were accosted and robbed by Winnipeg Scout Troop #135, losing a sum total of $6,204 and their airfare, as well as fully losing their manhood. Should be on the news tomorrow after an interview with the coaches going into detail on what great losses we've fought through.

I heard Moulson ripped his stick tape on his blade during warmups and had to be comforted.

Seriously, do you not see what awful fundamentals and team toughness this cast of characters has been displaying for most of the last several years after Nolan?

If you EVER played hockey, you would be disgusted by what's been transpiring this season and much of the last several.

But many haven't.....so we'll just look at box scores as a reference. (sorry, I was truly disgusted by the team's play in Boston and tonight, even when we were up by two, I was sickened how bad our hockey is......and as a Cappy fan, I want him exiled to Cuba if he's happy with this)

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Presently:

our holes, compared to the pens holes, are the size of the grand canyon!
1 cup is fine but all those teams compete ever single year, were not going to win a cup if we cant even get into the playoffs. and ill say it again how are we progressing when we had to pluck 5 players from waivers for the opening night roster?

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
People are impatient.

Seriously?

THE TEAM HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT AN EMBARRASSMENT FOR 20 FRIGGIN YEARS!!!!!!! 20 YEARS!!! PATIENCE?!?!?

:amazed:

EDIT: I have since read the rest of the thread and see you were talking strictly about this latest rebuild. But still... even THAT is taking an eternity. You really have to look at the big picture anyway. It's hard to ask Islanders fans to be patient. This team has had ONE good year in the last 20. Enough is enough. Patience is the last thing Islanders fans should have at this point.

Last edited:

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Seriously?

THE TEAM HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT AN EMBARRASSMENT FOR 20 FRIGGIN YEARS!!!!!!! 20 YEARS!!! PATIENCE?!?!?

:amazed:

EDIT: I have since read the rest of the thread and see you were talking strictly about this latest rebuild. But still... even THAT is taking an eternity. You really have to look at the big picture anyway. It's hard to ask Islanders fans to be patient. This team has had ONE good year in the last 20. Enough is enough. Patience is the last thing Islanders fans should have at this point.

The leaf fans have it just as bad

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
The leaf fans have it just as bad

No they don't. As recent as 2004 the Leafs won a playoff series. And they won quite a few series before that from 1993-2003. We haven't won a series since 1993. Leafs fans have seen their team have a TON more success since 1993 than Isles fans have and it isn't even close.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
Let me first write I am not the biggest Snow or Wang supporter. I would write SnowJob in reference to Snow and WangJob for Wang. I think both have made many mistakes and moves that I have not agreed with(in fact just down right pissed me off). Some of the first and second round picks I liked and other no so much (from round 3 and out let's all at least admit the draft is VERY unpredictable and I think Snow has done a very good job with those picks). Also this may be the first thread I have ever created, but I just do not understand all the negativity lately? Martin is being used wrong, Okposo may have to go, tired of the dumpster diving, making the wrong pick, handling Nino wrong- etc...
Let's see how the season plays out. I firmly believe (hopeful?) that the 2013-14 season is the real litmus test for Snow's rebuild plan. Strome will be on the Island, Nino if he stops the complaining, should be ready, Nelson could be/should be ready, Donovan, Sundstrom, who know's maybe Persson?. Cizikas and Ullstom should have established themselves somewhat by then. And there are still a handful of prospects behind them that could be ready or should be by 2014-15. Re-builds are not easy/painless or every team would do it, but if done correctly can build a team successfully for a long time. Why do you think teams like Calgary and Toronto(and other) resist a rebuild because most GM's know two things; one- they probably will not have a job when the rebuild comes to fruition as most owners are not patient enough. And two- the fan base will become disenfranchised and attendance will be horrible (also a third is sometimes they do not work or workout as planned and the team can still suck- LOL).
Snow and Wang are in this rebuild for the long haul as they have shown. You can either choose to find some positives or wallow in negativity, either way you should try to find a way to enjoy what we have (Tavares, Hammonic, Moulson, Grabner, etc...)
One last thing about picks and prospects. It is always easier to say so and so should have been picked before a current Islander draft pick. But unless you have scouted, watched and interviewed these kids the draft is very difficult to predict. Team needs vs best available, size vs skill, talent vs character; not easy. And this constant bickering on these boards about bringing up kids to early and not letting them develop vs leaving them on the farm to long and not giving a chance is insane. NOBODY has the perfect formula as every prospect/draft pick is like a snow flake- they are all different.
Anyway if this post is like many others here the naysayers will pull out a sentence I have written and cut up the whole post because of it. I just wish I was a perfect in my life as many of you expect Snow to be.

I think you have echoed here how I feel as well.

There are a lot of things I don't like, and most likely never will about some of the moves that Snow has made. And of course with Wang, it is tough to be supportive when the guy won't open the purse strings.

But at the same time, I can empathize with Wang in the sense that he tried the spend spree and he has gotten flamed royally — with bad choices from the previous GM, bad performances, injuries. And with no ability to earn money in Nassau County, I can understand why the need to be cost conscious. Fans don't like to hear that, and I understand why. I don't like to hear it. But if it were me, and it were my cash on the line, I would want my business to make some money, not lose more by adding payroll, only to have questionable results.

As for Snow — it puzzles me that he is not pulling the trigger on broader trades, but I can also understand that. From the time he came to Long Island, he witnessed first hand as a player how the GM at the time tool what was a stock-pile of talent, and erased it through poor trades and poor decisions.

Still — the team is growing, and though last night was our first really blown game, the team is showing real signs of improvement, and while this may not be a playoff year, they are managing to find ways to grow, and play well.

The pick-ups of Aucoin and Strait have been good thus far.
Boyes has been good.
Carkner is as advertised.
David Ullstrom is playing extremely well, and that is a 5th round pick. A real gem. Hamonic is a late 2nd rounder and a nice add.

I concur that it looks bad to "dumpster dive" but we have come up with some really good players from that scrap heap.

Grabner.
Moulson.
Parenteau.

And credit has to be given where it is due.

I agree that what Snow did with Nino was the RIGHT THING TO DO. In a short camp, and crazy type shortened season, the best place for Nino is right where he is. Bringing him to camp, or Donovan, or Nelson despite their production is pointless. Let them develop properly. Leave Strome alone in Juniors. The last thing we need for an impatient fan base to once again moan and groan about this youngster or that — have them come here, struggle and then complain Snow ruined him again by bringing him along too fast. Snow did the right thing, and Nino needs to take the stick from his butt and relax. We may yet see him this season if injuries occur, but next season, with a proper 3-4 week camp, and normal schedule, and room for Nino to be in the top 6, and perhaps the emergence of Nelson as the second line center... things are going to be just fine.

The next 6-8 months are going to be wild times in Islander Country.

Trades are coming. They have to be. We can't dress all of these guys. If Nelson does join the team as the #2 center, and Strome makes it moving to the wing, along with Nino and that forms the second line, what happens to Boyes if he plays well? Where do some of these other guys go? What happens to Bailey? Neilsen moves to 3rd line with Grabner, OK, but where do Cizikas, Martin and Ullstrom go? Donovan makes the team next season? So does Ness? Perhaps de Haan if healthy... what happens to Streit? What if Hickey and Strait pan out?

Lots of questions....

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
My one question would be why we didn't, with TOP TALENT DRAFTED (and some ready like Tavares, Hamonic and Moulson, Grabs, etc), hire a Ken Hitchcock or other experienced, quality coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad