What's up with the Kovalchuk rumours?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Just think about normal work life. You and your colleagues are all doing the same work but there is that one person who can come to work little bit late and leave little bit early during the working week and he can pick vacation times first etc. :D and the bosses let him do it. Not cool man!
I'd be fine with that, if the person was a much better worker than the rest. Unfortunately, Kovalchuk hasn't been that outstanding in the KHL. People can find any excuses they want for Ilya, but he's barely PPG in his KHL career and has been outscored by Mozyakin by amount of points enough of KHL seasonal scoring record over the last 4 years.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
PHP:
I'd be fine with that, if the person was a much better worker than the rest. Unfortunately, Kovalchuk hasn't been that outstanding in the KHL. People can find any excuses they want for Ilya, but he's barely PPG in his KHL career and has been outscored by Mozyakin by amount of points enough of KHL seasonal scoring record over the last 4 years.

I think we both agree that Kovalchuk has been included on the NT roster in recent years only because he has amazing talent, and not for anything he has accomplished on the ice. He is such a selfish player, and his play in recent years, lazy and undisciplined, has hurt far more than it has helped. Now, even his talents, which are his only real credentials, are beginning to erode with age. It is time to move on, but I suspect that Znarok will take the easy way out by including him on the WC roster.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I do not know how Kovalchuk feels about SKA's recent performance but personally I am totally convinced that SKA is much better without him. Maybe, if they got rid of him earlier, they could have snatched conference leadership from Jokerit - they had many chance to do it but failed miserably with all. Now, without him, this team takes down the Loko beast. This is huge.

WeAre

Sep 20, 2014
any example?

Well there are hunderds of them so the listing would be quite long. I red a book that called "Life in Khl" by former KHL goalie Bernd Bruckler and he said the same thing. You never knew if you get fired in the middle of borsch lunch :laugh:

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Well there are hunderds of them so the listing would be quite long. I red a book that called "Life in Khl" by former KHL goalie Bernd Bruckler and he said the same thing. You never knew if you get fired in the middle of borsch lunch :laugh:

So actually you are unable to give a single example. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PepperoniSlapshot*

SI: Ilya Kovalchuk joining KHL expansion team in China?

Maybe? Would be pretty cool if it's true considering he is of Russian and East Asian descent

"Report: Ilya Kovalchuk will join Chinese expansion team"

Former New Jersey Devils winger Ilya Kovalchuk will join a KHL expansion team in China next season, according to multiple reports.

Kovalchuk will be leaving SKA Saint Petersburg for Red Star Kunlun after an apparent fallout with Saint Petersburg. Kovalchuk was benched multiple times during the team’s playoff run, and will now leave the club altogether.

The goal scorer could have potentially made a return to the NHL, but opted for the Chinese team instead. He has not played in North America since leaving the Devils in 2013, with 12 years and more than $75 million left on his contract.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/03/24/ilya-kovalchuk-nhl-return-khl-chinese-expansion-team

UPDATE: SKA denies the news, Tweeting (translated), "Recent reports of possible changes in the SKA have nothing to do with reality."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...for-khl-expansion-team--report-162901012.html

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Didn't even know there was a hockey market in China. I want him back in the NHL.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
When you have the opportunity to be overpaid when your career is almost done,you take it. You make as much as you can as quick as you can so your family and your kids have as much financial help as they can in the future. jmo, some people/athletes want to get the most financial benefit from playing and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
If he ends up doing it he could end up like Stephon Marbury did in basketball. Dominate the league, win championships, even get a statue put up in his image. Better to rule in hockey hell than serve in heaven.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
When you have the opportunity to be overpaid when your career is almost done,you take it. You make as much as you can as quick as you can so your family and your kids have as much financial help as they can in the future. jmo, some people/athletes want to get the most financial benefit from playing and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach.

Dude, you sound as if Kovalchuk is not a professional ice hockey player but a gastarbeiter from Tajikistan. I am pretty sure he already has more than enough money to secure the well-being of his family and even relatives if needed. He doesn't need that extra boost from the Chinese. However, I understand and agree with your reasoning, but in another way: At the moment, the image means more than money for Kovalchuk. Sure, more money is always better; but Kovalchuk now, I assume, wants a place where he can feel himself good, motivated and "star". Money comes after that. We all know that if Kovalchuk sucks in his new team, he will probably end up being dumped again. In this sense, the amount the Chinese are ready to pay is just icing on the cake for Kovalchuk - nothing else.

LeSandvich

Sep 10, 2015
I am pretty sure he already has more than enough money to secure the well-being of his family and even relatives if needed. He doesn't need that extra boost from the Chinese.
Humans only want more money until it satisfies their basic needs alright :laugh:

white galaxy*

if kovy goes to china it'd help promote khl there plus for his sake he could bring in more money to improve lives of his family & friends . plus politically..... i could imagine putin asking kovy to play the gig ambasador like

and personally it'd be very interesting to see the style of hockey chinese would play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad