What's up with the Kovalchuk rumours?

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
From championat.ru

"Как стало известно «Чемпионату», капитан питерского СКА Илья Ковальчук покинул расположение команды по решению высшего руководства клуба. Нападающий отправился в Санкт-Петербург и не примет участия в завтрашнем матче первого раунда Кубка Гагарина с ярославским «Локомотивом». Его будущее в клубе прояснится позже."

http://www.championat.com/hockey/ne...urce=tw&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social

Any info/confirmations?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Doesn't even surprise me. Kovalchuk has such a competitive nature and he obviously sees team he is a captain of is awful and he probably felt playoffs is the right moment to let people who are to blame let know about it. Looks like those people didn't appreciate it all that much.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Doesn't even surprise me. Kovalchuk has such a competitive nature and he obviously sees team he is a captain of is awful and he probably felt playoffs is the right moment to let people who are to blame let know about it. Looks like those people didn't appreciate it all that much.

Nah, people say he has problems with drinking.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
As if Kovalchuk carried his "awful" team (SKA's awful, yeah :help:). He's looked like old "headless sniper" this season again, has a negative +/- and was pretty bad in the 1st PO game. If some regimen break did happen indeed, he definitely deserved to sit for a agme.

This should be merged with the SKA thread I think.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Morning guys.

Probably because I checked this thread before sleeping, I just woke up and realized that I had seen Kovalchuk in my dream. He was playing for this new Chinese team in 2016/2017. Star player totally out of form, cannot keep up with the expectations at all? Mmm, ideal money splash target for the Chinese. This was an accurate and inspirational dream, yeah.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I just woke up and realized that I had seen Kovalchuk in my dream. He was playing for this new Chinese team in 2016/2017. Star player totally out of form, cannot keep up with the expectations at all? Mmm, ideal money splash target for the Chinese. This was an accurate and inspirational dream, yeah.
Hmm. Moving Kovalchuk to 刺穿天空堅冰勇士陰陽 for money compensation would be the most genius financial decision since FC Lokomotiv fining Tarasov for €300k.
- Unloads a year of Kovy's huge salary;
- Gets money from the Chinese for the transaction itself;
- Starts creating a core for the Chinese team.

Gr8! But I'd bet on Kovy's contract including a NTC.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
"Forward Ilya Kovalchuk has informed SKA Saint Petersburg that if he is no reinserted onto the roster in 2-days he is terminating his contract and returning to North America."
Not saying that it isn't possible, but how would that go from the contractual point of view, since he essentially "retired" from NHL hockey?

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Not saying that it isn't possible, but how would that go from the contractual point of view, since he essentially "retired" from NHL hockey?

I heard there's an existing loophole that makes him able to sign with the Devils. Signing with any other club and he needs a yes from all the managers/owners

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Kovalchuk can't play in the NHL with an existing KHL contract.
He can technically initiate a contract termination, but he'd need to prove to he Disciplinary Commitee that he's been an object of "sport discrimination", and after he played like trash in the 1st playoff game, chances for that seem slim.
Needless to say, he'd need to get all 30 NHL owners' approval to return, and it doesn't look likely.

I hope Kovalchuk won't be invited to World Championship after this crap.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If I'm not mistaken, teams can unilaterally release any player at any time...however they still must pay a certain % of said player's remaining salary.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
If he somehow manages to sign with an NHL club, I will personally question any kind of limits that exist. To me, it seems easier to land on Mars with a marshrutka than Kovalchuk signing for a NHL team. Personally, I would never want such a problematic guy at the age of 32 in my team. In the end, he is more or less the reason why SKA sucked so badly in regular season. Even so, they had every chance to leapfrog Jokerit. I am wondering what would've been if Kovalchuk was dumped earlier.

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Yep, I think that Kovalchuk responded to being scratched with an ultimatum is a huge red flag for any NHL club. And if there's one so desperate they'd look for a 32 year old player with a disappointing KHL career and injury problems, they would need to go through so much formalities.

Maybe it's a cunning plan. First, Lou made Kovalchuk announce retirement to correct his mistake and get out of Kovy's eternal contract. They had an agreement with SKA: Kovalchuk helps them to win the Gagarin Cup and gets compensated for his damaged reputation with loads of money. Now they have achieved their goals and have no need for Ilya anymore, so they get out of his contract, and he can go back to the NHL. Lou's waiting, he owes Kovalchuk, and his new team needs a good LW.

But it would be much cooler if Kovalchuk was reinstated to SKA roster, they lost in the 1st or 2nd round, and he was traded to the Chinese club for money in the summer.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
In the end, he is more or less the reason why SKA sucked so badly in regular season.

Are you kidding me.. As disappointing as Kovalchuk was this "lets blame that guy" thing is ridiculous. 20 players played like they were on the ice together for the first time because they had Kovalchuk on the roster? Give me a break.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Are you kidding me.. As disappointing as Kovalchuk was this "lets blame that guy" thing is ridiculous. 20 players played like they were on the ice together for the first time because they had Kovalchuk on the roster? Give me a break.

With great power comes great responsibility, man. Of course, Kovalchuk is not the only reason; but if fingers have to be pointed at one, it's no one else but Kovalchuk. If you are a superstar then you gotta behave and play like one, otherwise people will criticize you. Fair or not, this will happen. As a guy who played almost 900 NHL games and averaged 1pt ppg, you are expected to show something in KHL as well.

Get the spotlight, earn huge amounts of money for being a superstar but when it comes to playing ice hockey, step in to be mediocre... No. That's not acceptable.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
And giving individual freedom to one player like missing practices etc is not good for the team spirit.

Just think about normal work life. You and your colleagues are all doing the same work but there is that one person who can come to work little bit late and leave little bit early during the working week and he can pick vacation times first etc. :D and the bosses let him do it. Not cool man!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad