Whats up with Sam Reinhart? wow

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
People are actually saying this? Outside of tkachuk he’s probably been my favorite players since we got him. He’s so important and reliable, he’s been such a rock back there and I always rave about him. even if he’s struggling a little now (didn’t they try him on the right side? Now they got OEL on the right side I believe), that just means he’s bringing that AAV down on the longterm deal View attachment 758193
Lock him up for as long as you can. He’ll be back to his awesome self once everyone is back and he’s not looked upon to be the #1. Whether he was forced onto the 1st line with Weegar, montour, or Ekblad, he’s always looked amazing. Having to be the #1 and with new teammates, I’m not worried in the slightest with him.

I know +/- isn’t a perfect stat, but it’s funny how he’s a +5 on the season so far and doesn’t have a single game as a minus, and that’s with his struggles.

Four posts up from yours.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Probably recency bias, Forsling has been bad to start the season. Leads the Panthers in giveaways and his defensive play has been shaky. It does raise some questions though.

He's the best skater, youngest out of himself, Ekblad and Montour. IMO he's our smartest defensemen and rarely gets caught out of position.
He'll also likely be the cheapest AAV of the 3 main guys.

He's very situationally aware to avoid huge hits, not overly physical which tends to be reassuring when signing a 6-7 yr deal for a player nearing his 30s, in relation to durability and aging with grace.

I agree his overall play has taken a hit the last season and a half but he's an elite #3 2nd pair guy, can be a decent #2 1st pair guy if he and his linemate have chemistry and play together game in game out.

Been a revolving door for Forsling lately which may be a factor but Zito will have a near blank canvas on defense this July.
Only Mikkola and Ekblad non-UFA guys end of this year. Could be the difference in being a playoff team or a Cup winner.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
He's the best skater, youngest out of himself, Ekblad and Montour. IMO he's our smartest defensemen and rarely gets caught out of position.
He'll also likely be the cheapest AAV of the 3 main guys.

He's very situationally aware to avoid huge hits, not overly physical which tends to be reassuring when signing a 6-7 yr deal for a player nearing his 30s, in relation to durability and aging with grace.

I agree his overall play has taken a hit the last season and a half but he's an elite #3 2nd pair guy, can be a decent #2 1st pair guy if he and his linemate have chemistry and play together game in game out.

Been a revolving door for Forsling lately which may be a factor but Zito will have a near blank canvas on defense this July.
Only Mikkola and Ekblad non-UFA guys end of this year. Could be the difference in being a playoff team or a Cup winner.

I agree with what you said. I'm very surprised to see him struggle so much this season, it's been turnover galore with him so far. And he's been the most surehanded guy on the team IMO, reliable as a rock back there. I guess that's why I'm worried about him, he's playing so out of character.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
In all honesty though, even if he keeps this up or doesnt, Or if it is a one time thing. Cool. What sets Reinhart apart is he is honestly a two way forward and is a damn good one at that. He can play in the D Zone, can kill, etc. And he is a valuable asset for that.

Verhaeghe is a better scorer than Reinhart, but Reinhart is a more complete player. It's Tkachuk, It's Barkov, then 3rd is debatable. To me it's Reinhart
Too me it is Reinhart as well. He gets the nod because the guy can play any forward position, kill penalties, take FOs.

Verhaege is a pure goalscorer and the much faster skater. That's it. A lot more one-dimensional - maybe the reason why he gets zero PP1 time?
Plus he spend the whole last season on Barky's wing or with MT. Reino had to play on the 3rd line the majority of the time and only gets firstclass support when on the PP.
Both Verhaege and MT are clearly missing Bennett and should be back to normal soon. Reino playing with ERod and Barky is a great thing to see - maybe we will have 3 40-goal scorers this year with Reino, Verhaege and MT?

Reino would have also had 40 goals last season if he had put the pucks in the net instead of ringing them of the bar in the first 15 games. Prediction: Reinhart will finish with more goals this season than Verhaege

Reactions: teugen

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
What's up with him Panthers fan? I'm only stat watching, but he's producing more than Barkov and Tkachuk. What has he improved in his game compared to the rest of his career?

Does he actually play better than Barkov and Tkachuk overall or is it just points?

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
What's up with him Panthers fan? I'm only stat watching, but he's producing more than Barkov and Tkachuk. What has he improved in his game compared to the rest of his career?

Does he actually play better than Barkov and Tkachuk overall or is it just points?
Honestly? I think it's mostly puck luck.

He's shooting way above his career average.

That being said, his chemistry with Barkov I'd say has improved a ton. In previous years, they didn't seem to mesh too well together and I'm not sure why.

I have also noticed a bit of jump in his game, seems a bit faster, outracing players to pucks more often, and just moving around a bit more. Idk if that's just me, maybe other panthers fans can chime in on that.

Overall, I don't think he'll come close to this production again. But I can see him having a few more PPG years ahead of him.

As to whether he's playing better than Barkov, Imo no. Barkov is usually the first one back defensively and a lot of the plays start because of him. Either he starts the play by converting good defensive plays into offense, or he's playing keepaway along the boards to maintain possession.

he's also the best at neutral zone entries and just carrying the puck in general. To sum it up, Barkov still primarily drives the play.

I personally think he's been better than Tkachuk, who has had awful puck luck and hasn't been nearly as physical or good at maintaining possession this year

Last edited:

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Honestly? I think it's mostly puck luck.
it's also self-confidence. Some players (e.g. Laine) score a ton of goals when they are hot and not so much the following year. A player can have a season when even worse shots end up in the net and another season when they cannot get pucks in no matter what they did. When one scores a lot of goals and the team wins, it's easy to play, which boosts performance higher. Of course on ice chemistry with Barkov and puck luck help but in my opinion Reinhart is a little bit where Tkachuk was last season meaning that the season started so well, which boosted self-confidence and now he just enjoys every game.

Reactions: ShootIt and Felidae

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
There is some puck luck involved for sure but as @scholl has mentioned his confidence is through the roof. He isn't a volume shooter, but he finds himself in high scoring positions often and this year he's burying those chances.
Remember for years we would be wondering how Sam missed a wide open net up front. This year he's burying all those chances.

Just got to hope he'll be willing to take term to drop that AAV. Never would of thought prior to this year he could be getting near 9+mil, but he very well could by some team if he hits UFA.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
There is some puck luck involved for sure but as @scholl has mentioned his confidence is through the roof. He isn't a volume shooter, but he finds himself in high scoring positions often and this year he's burying those chances.
Remember for years we would be wondering how Sam missed a wide open net up front. This year he's burying all those chances.

Just got to hope he'll be willing to take term to drop that AAV. Never would have thought prior to this year he could be getting near 9+mil, but he very well could by some team if he hits UFA.
I think Zito can retain Reino if he gives a multi year contract like 6-7 yrs at $7.5-8M. Reino’s agent can’t really argue consistent high level production for years to come, history doesn’t support it and future is uncertain. If he were to sign somewhere else for bigger money, he would need a setup guy like Barky or McK or McD. Someone like Suzuki, as good as he is, just wouldn’t be enough to find him for those lethal shots.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Incredibly smart player. You just know when he has the puck on his stick, he'll make the right decision. Super patient as well. I agree his shooting % probably isn't sustainable, but he kind of reminds me of Joe Pavelski. Don't have a problem giving him 7 or 8 years, just don't think it should be more than Barkov/Tkachuk. I'd be fine with him at 8-9 per. If that happens, unfortunately I think we lose one of Bennett/Verhaeghe after next season, though (if not, sooner).

Reactions: Ghoste

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Didn't someone say he just built a house in Florida? He's happy here and the team thinks really highly of him. I expect something to get done, but it'll probably take 8 years.
In this case we might get lucky with him. He is super durable and his playing style should allow him to have plenty of good years left. In Zito we trust

Reactions: CHGoalie27

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
1706032454878.png

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
* Oliver Ekman-Larsson scored in overtime to guide the second-seeded Panthers (31-14-4, 66 points) to their eighth straight road win and Sam Reinhart continued his scoring prowess on the man advantage to extend his point streak to 13 games. Reinhart, who established a franchise record with 20 power-play goals in a single season, became the ninth player since 1933-34 with 20 power-play goals prior to his 50th game of a season and first since Mario Lemieux (20 in 1995-96).

REinhartMedia-28121614.png

sauce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17642

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
That post was a while ago. Montour doesn’t look like montour from last year. I’d change my vote to keep forsling.
Montour was never for a single moment more important than forsling. Yea he had a good offensive year last season, but its forsling doing all the heavy lifting on this team. I put only barkov above him in terms of importance to a winning outcome.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Montour was never for a single moment more important than forsling. Yea he had a good offensive year last season, but its forsling doing all the heavy lifting on this team. I put only barkov above him in terms of importance to a winning outcome.
I will not tolerate the disrespect to Ekblad

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Best defensive defenseman in the game??
Its not particularly close. He drags ekblads corpse around, has the toughest assignments, and still leads d men in advanced defensive metrics and +/-. Last year ek was a minus 14 and the golden guse was a +19. They played together most of the season. That huge discrepancy came in the small part of the year they werent together. That is completely insane. We have the leagues worst d man paired with its best. Poor Gus. Its ruining his next contract.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Its not particularly close. He drags ekblads corpse around, has the toughest assignments, and still leads d men in advanced defensive metrics and +/-. Last year ek was a minus 14 and the golden guse was a +19. They played together most of the season. That huge discrepancy came in the small part of the year they werent together. That is completely insane. We have the leagues worst d man paired with its best. Poor Gus. Its ruining his next contract.
I don't quite understand all the Ek hate on here.
He has a Canon of a shot.
He is big and physical. Something Gus does not possess. And I've seen Gus get pushed around a bit. Out muscled at times. Gus does skate like the wind and that covers up his deficiencies a lot.

The other game in the defensive corner, the camera Zoom in on him. He decked 2 players out and cleared the Puck out of this zone.
In my opinion, he passes the eye test with flying colours.

When he is eventually gone I think he will greatly be missed.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

teugen

cats on a rampage
Dec 30, 2015
I don't quite understand all the Ek hate on here.
He has a Canon of a shot.
He is big and physical. Something Gus does not possess. And I've seen Gus get pushed around a bit. Out muscled at times. Gus does skate like the wind and that covers up his deficiencies a lot.

The other game in the defensive corner, the camera Zoom in on him. He decked 2 players out and cleared the Puck out of this zone.
In my opinion, he passes the eye test with flying colours.

When he is eventually gone I think he will greatly be missed.

The grass is always greener on the other side.
He cant skate, shoots hard but cant hit the net even if his life depends on it, gets caught on d night in, night out and when he does, the piss poor skating doesn't allow him to recover from his mistakes. Not the smartest dude either on ice.

Probably could improve a ton with figure skating coach, but seems like he just likes things the way they are.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
He cant skate, shoots hard but cant hit the net even if his life depends on it, gets caught on d night in, night out and when he does, the piss poor skating doesn't allow him to recover from his mistakes. Not the smartest dude either on ice.

Probably could improve a ton with figure skating coach, but seems like he just likes things the way they are.
He can too skate. I've seen it with my own eyes. In fact, I was watching the other night and his one stride was 2 or 3 of Monty's same stride.

Not sure how you get he He can't hit the net, as he scores about 15 goals a year. Last time I checked, a goal is a shot on net.

That comment is full of false hyperbolies.

Reactions: MaWa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad