What's up with PK Subban?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Assuming Josi is #1, who is #2?
Whether or not he's better as a whole is up for debate but most Preds fans will say Ellis. At least this season.

But honestly we're rolling with a 1A-1D situation anyway. I don't mean that in a bragging sense I just mean the top 2 pairs are literally interchangeable

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
That between the legs dangle last night was embarrassing.

2 on 1 going the other way after he failed miserably at it.

:shakehead

That between the leg dangle lead the puck to Ekholm's stick. He missed the net with his shot. No one covered Subban's spot on defense, which is what caused the odd man rush.

The horror when a players tries to generate offense as his team is trailing by 1 with 10 minutes remaining in the game.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Subban is the second best defenseman on the Preds.

He probably is better than Weber at this point but only b/c of age. Weber probably will be considered to have had the slightly better career when they are retired.

He has a very loyal fanbase...great defenseman (though definitely not a top 5 defender) but his contract size doesn't make him a super-attractive asset.
His contract isn't great, but consider they have him and Josi @ 13 combined, they'll be able to manage.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Will never understand the hate for this guy.

Or rather, I guess I can understand it, but I cannot sympathize with it.

Can be a gamebreaker, and I love his personality, even if it rubs some the wrong way.

What I do not understand is people downplaying his abilities as if he's a random 2nd pairing d-man.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

Can be a gamebreaker, and I love his personality, even if it rubs some the wrong way.

What I do not understand is people downplaying his abilities as if he's a random 2nd pairing d-man.
taylor-swift-haters-gonna-hate-hate-hate-hate-hate.jpg

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

Agreed with this. Some of the criticism is really unwarranted. I would be thrilled to have this guy on my team.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
No, Subban cant win games on his own. As I mentioned in the past, he was part of this organization's worst losing streak in history. If Pk could win a game on his own it wouldn't have happened.

Plus, he scored a few GWG's for us in the playoffs in the past but scoring a GWG isn't winning a game on his own.

Subban's play the year he got traded was one of the main reason why he got traded. He couldn't score on the Powerplay a9nd neither could other players.

I could have swore there was a game 1 vs St Louis. Or did the Blues forfeit the game.

You can argue that the 1st game in St Louis was the reason why Nashville advanced; having won on the road to gain the valued momentum.

Honestly bro, do you even follow hockey?

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Subban is the second best defenseman on the Preds.

He probably is better than Weber at this point but only b/c of age. Weber probably will be considered to have had the slightly better career when they are retired.

He has a very loyal fanbase...great defenseman (though definitely not a top 5 defender) but his contract size doesn't make him a super-attractive asset.

You're aware that Weber has never won a Norris right?
Id tell you that Subban has 4 years to make up the difference on Weber, but at this point its advantage P.K

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Whether or not he's better as a whole is up for debate but most Preds fans will say Ellis. At least this season.

But honestly we're rolling with a 1A-1D situation anyway. I don't mean that in a bragging sense I just mean the top 2 pairs are literally interchangeable

Fair enough. I was just interested how Nashville fans view them b/c you are the ones who watch them every night and know them best.

The Blues roll their best two D-Men on different pairings b/c they are both righties and not as effective when playing on the left side.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
You're aware that Weber has never won a Norris right?
Id tell you that Subban has 4 years to make up the difference on Weber, but at this point its advantage P.K

Perhaps....I haven't watched enough of both of them to have an authoritative opinion.

Is Subban, prime to prime, the equal of Weber in the D-Zone?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Fair enough. I was just interested how Nashville fans view them b/c you are the ones who watch them every night and know them best.

The Blues roll their best two D-Men on different pairings b/c they are both righties and not as effective when playing on the left side.
That's kinda what happened here when Subban and Josi were broken up earlier in the season. Not the same hand but some were baffled that those two could possibly be split up (myself included) but because of it two evenly top pairs were born. Gotta credit Laviolette and company for doing that in retrospect.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

The more moderate side of the debate is really just a nuanced discussion of where he should be ranked in the top several tiers of elite D-Men.

Is he "elite?" Yes.

Is he the equal of someone like Doughty (i.e., top 5 overall D-men in the league)? IMO, no.

A few of Subban's most loyal fans from the Habs take great offense if anyone suggests that he isn't top 5. Subban being excluded from the WC roster inflamed matters.

It's not an ocean-wide disagreement...more like squabbling over the size of a pond.

BTW, I mention Doughty to add some credibility to the argument...I think you know that he has tortured the Blues on many occasions. A D-Man really has to tip the scales of ridiculous play for me to say he belongs in the same discussion as Doughty....someone like a Hedman and Josi are probably in that discussion. Certainly a young Duncan Keith as well. And I'm not touching the Karlsson ranking with a ten foot pole since apparently he has invented a whole new category of "one" this year. :)

Last edited:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
That's kinda what happened here when Subban and Josi were broken up earlier in the season. Not the same hand but some were baffled that those two could possibly be split up (myself included) but because of it two evenly top pairs were born. Gotta credit Laviolette and company for doing that in retrospect.

Interesting...chemistry is as important as anything when pairing elite D-Men, which the Preds have in droves. Thanks for your thoughts.

Make It Biznasty*

Jul 18, 2012
The more moderate side of the debate is really just a nuanced discussion of where he should be ranked in the top several tiers of elite D-Men.

Is he "elite?" Yes.

Is he the equal of someone like Doughty (i.e., top 5 overall D-men in the league)? IMO, no.

A few of Subban's most loyal fans from the Habs take great offense if anyone suggests that he isn't top 5. Subban being excluded from the WC roster inflamed matters.

It's not an ocean-wide disagreement...more like squabbling over the size of a pond.

BTW, I mention Doughty to add some credibility to the argument...I think you know that he has tortured the Blues on many occasions. A D-Man really has to tip the scales of ridiculous play for me to say he belongs in the same discussion as Doughty....someone like a Hedman and Josi are probably in that discussion. Certainly a young Duncan Keith as well. And I'm not touching the Karlsson ranking with a ten foot pole since apparently he has invented a whole new category of "one" this year. :)
doughty plays a similar style to Bobby Orr. Best of both offence and defense.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
doughty plays a similar style to Bobby Orr. Best of both offence and defense.

Doughty is as complete as they come...and dances the blue line like very few others. Just an incredible skater and competitor...equally great in both zones.

E82

Feb 3, 2015

Is he "elite?" Yes.

I truly wonder how knowledgeable posters are on here. A simple research would show that Subban tilts the ice to his team's favour like only a top 5 can do. Also when it comes to Playoffs, He's top 2 (possibly top 3 now with Karlsson emerging with playoff games played) with Keith in PPG for Dman. If you watch the Preds play this playoffs you will see that his pairing is responsible for shutting down the other team's best. I mean its a fact that Subban is a better offensive D than Doughty you cant even argue that. Defensively, the way PK plays in the playoffs this and years past brings him in that top 5 as well.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I truly wonder how knowledgeable posters are on here. A simple research would show that Subban tilts the ice to his team's favour like only a top 5 can do. Also when it comes to Playoffs, He's top 2 (possibly top 3 now with Karlsson emerging with playoff games played) with Keith in PPG for Dman. If you watch the Preds play this playoffs you will see that his pairing is responsible for shutting down the other team's best. I mean its a fact that Subban is a better offensive D than Doughty you cant even argue that. Defensively, the way PK plays in the playoffs this and years past brings him in that top 5 as well.

I'm going to agree with Babcock on this issue.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Among NHL d-men this season.

22nd in points.
27th in goals.
20th in PP points.
251st in +/-

He is above average. He is really good. You can laugh all you want or act like he is elite. If anyone here thinks Subban is Elite then there are well over 50 elite d-men in the league right now. :laugh:

+/- ? That's a rookie move... ;)

As to your first three points : everybody knows that the sole and only valid criteria to judge a dman is his offensive production, right !

Tom Bladon and Marc-André Bergeron were superstars...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad