What's Up With Jordan Schroeder?

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
There are an awful lot of people in here making a lot of assumptions based on his stat line.

I personally don't think he'll ever be more than a second liner, but to say he's regressed is just patently false. This is a kid that nearly beat Hodgson for a job out of camp, only to go down to the AHL and struggle with a revolving door of linemates on a team with sub-par offense.

He's got all the tools (yes, size will likely be an issue) and is usually one of the better Wolves on the ice. The problem is that rather than fill top6 injuries on the roster with AHL players, the Canucks just reach into their depth and pull a Raymond/Higgens type up and instead fill the injury spot with a grinder for the fourth line (a la Mancari). If he gets hot at the right time, he could very well see spot duty on Vancouver this season, if not he'll be pushing for a spot out of camp against Jensen (if this preseason/camp was any indication, we could see this Dane much sooner than expected) next year.

Schroeder has a lot of work to do, but you won't find many people that actually watch Chicago games ready to call him a bust.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't have an answer and haven't been following the Wolves but for an optimistic outlook consider Cody Hodgson.

2010-11 AHL: 52-17-13-30
2011-12 NHL: 42-10-14-24

Neither are the types of players to be 1st line star players, but with better linemates Cody has been more productive in the NHL than he was in the AHL (taking difficulty inflation into consideration). In this summers training camp Schroeder wasn't too far from Hodgson and looked close to making the team. Now he's certainly not going to be another Zach Parise, but it's too soon to write him off as a productive NHLer.

Exactly. I think going forward, especially now that the Chicago Wolves are the Canucks' farm team, Canucks prospects are actually going to develop better in the NHL, rather than the AHL. Cody Hodgson, like you said, is the perfect example. He did nothing to warrant much attention last year and now look, he's in the thick of the Calder Trophy race. Besides Reinprecht, Haydar and Mancari, who, it looks like, all play together, the Wolves, and the Moose before them, are full of grinders. That's why Hodgson and Schroeder had a tough time putting up points last year and Schroeder is in the same position this year.

I see Schroeder being a Wolves mainstay for awhile as the Canucks' roster will be packed the next few seasons, but hopefully he perseveres because one day there will be a chance for him to make this team. He definitely has the talent to, I just don't think it will really show much in the AHL. Maybe it will in the coming seasons if more talent is infused into the Wolves' lineup, though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To me, Schroeder's problem is his intensity/compete level. If you're going to make it as a little guy in the NHL, you have to have a huge heart and compete 110% for every puck and be willing to take hits to make plays.

With Schroeder, you can see the skills - NHL skating ability, excellent shot, can pass and make plays at high speed. And when he's 'feeling it' and is hungry, he gets results - as he did in his draft year, at the WJCs, and when he was first called up to the AHL.

But over the grind of a long regular season when each game doesn't mean as much, he just seems to check out and play a perimeter game. Which is what we saw is his 2nd season at Minnesota and last year in the AHL.

He has improved his defensive play in the AHL this year and is working harder, but still just isn't getting results. And he is getting top-6 icetime, so that's not the issue.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
I'm betting he will be traded at the deadline as the Canucks try to load up for a Cup run.
So where is the best fit for him?
I wonder how he would fit with the Wild? Breaking in Schroeder and Granlund next season would bring a lot of excitment but I think he would be an attractive piece for a lot of teams.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I'm betting he will be traded at the deadline as the Canucks try to load up for a Cup run.
So where is the best fit for him?
I wonder how he would fit with the Wild? Breaking in Schroeder and Granlund next season would bring a lot of excitment but I think he would be an attractive piece for a lot of teams.

I can absolutely see schroeder going to the wild. exactly who they should be looking to get.

Kershaw

Guy was a beast in the World Juniors. The Canucks have the luxury of bringing him up slowly like they did with Hodgson. I think he's a good bet to be a future NHL player, ranging anywhere from 1st line to 3rd line energy guy.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
What's his ice time like these days?

I can't find the stat anywhere so I was wondering if anyone that follows the team knew.

I haven't watched all the Wolves games this season but I believe hes been around 20 minutes the last 10-20 games.

And regarding the Canucks trading him this trade deadline, I hope not considering they haven't given him any time in the NHL yet. How is he suppose to increase his value if he hasn't gotten any time to showcase his stuff? I just don't think the Canucks should trade him while his value is low otherwise they'll be in another Grabner situation.

KingJet*

I think hes slowed down quite a bit, he was fast when he first got to Manitoba, but hes starting to slow down, he doesn't have much hands, but his shot is the best part to his game. I highly think he'll be traded by the deadline, to a team like Columbus, Anaheim, Minnesota or something like that, maybe even Winnipeg because he played there for a while and is from around there.

hoodstar

Sep 21, 2010
He's a right handed centre and given the Canucks' strength in that position (Sedin, Kesler, Hodgson, Lapierre), is it possible to play him on LW or RW? I remember hearing he played a bit as a RW but did not do so well.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
To me, Schroeder's problem is his intensity/compete level. If you're going to make it as a little guy in the NHL, you have to have a huge heart and compete 110% for every puck and be willing to take hits to make plays.

With Schroeder, you can see the skills - NHL skating ability, excellent shot, can pass and make plays at high speed. And when he's 'feeling it' and is hungry, he gets results - as he did in his draft year, at the WJCs, and when he was first called up to the AHL.

But over the grind of a long regular season when each game doesn't mean as much, he just seems to check out and play a perimeter game. Which is what we saw is his 2nd season at Minnesota and last year in the AHL.

He has improved his defensive play in the AHL this year and is working harder, but still just isn't getting results. And he is getting top-6 icetime, so that's not the issue.

dead on and unless he realizes the changes that he must make the bust label is on him.

Maybe he needs a change of scenery but 99% of the time guys with this track record never make any impression in the NHL.

My guess is that he plays less than 200 NHL games and less than 40 points in his career.

There is just too much talent that keeps coming up for a guy like this to overcome with the slow start and regression since his draft year.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
I think hes slowed down quite a bit, he was fast when he first got to Manitoba, but hes starting to slow down, he doesn't have much hands, but his shot is the best part to his game. I highly think he'll be traded by the deadline, to a team like Columbus, Anaheim, Minnesota or something like that, maybe even Winnipeg because he played there for a while and is from around there.

I'm not sure why you think he's slowed down.. perhaps it was because he was out 6 weeks with a high ankle sprain in his season with the Moose. For a player that relies so heavily on speed since hes such a small guy an injury like that can be detrimental to his season. He wasn't nearly the same after that injury.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I thought he made a terrible decision when he left college. Think he left for the paycheck and left development on the table. He had quite a bit still to prove at the college level.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I can absolutely see schroeder going to the wild. exactly who they should be looking to get.

I was heartbroken when we passed on him at the draft and would love him on the team, although with him, granlund and PMB, people might think we are Montreal lol. The fact that we passed on him at the draft makes me doubt we get him, especially because we we went on to draft Leddy, another Minnesotan and then traded him. I'm not sure where he fits in on the Nucks but I think he will make a fine career in the NHL at some point, very shifty and skilled as well as being no slouch in the D zone, although he is pretty much a top 6 or bust kind of player mostly due to his size and play style.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
thanks for making this thread, he must have read it lol

17 pts in his last 19 games.

Ya, he's showing development this year, which is good news. Plus there have been some pretty glowing reports about his defensive play. He's actually had a couple of decent camps with the team (was pretty close to Hodgson in this years camp I'd say), but seems to take some time off when he's demoted back down to the farm.

I think he's far from a bust, but due to the Canucks depth situation (especially at centre ice) he's forced way down the chart. He'll have his time to develop; the Canucks are extremely patient.

Here's a recent optimistic article on Schroeder with quotes from MacT:
The Province said:
"He's gone from a guy who was a bit of a peripheral player, not in the way he plays the game, but in terms of his value to our hockey club, to a guy who has a very prominent role and somebody we count on every night to play 20-plus minutes," said Wolves head coach Craig MacTavish. "He plays on the power play, he kills penalties. He's as effective a player as we have five-on-five and he makes players around him even better, so he's really improved."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Schroeder+makes+most+chances/6048034/story.html#ixzz1khdqZYfO

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Last year Schroeder played a secondary role on the team and didn't get the ice time. Nor did he fight hard enough to earn the ice time and some may argue his compete level wasn't there (which may be true and the very reason he fell as far as he did). That's why his last two years have been a question mark for someone as skilled as he is.

Coming into the Canucks camp Schroeder showed compete level and when he did, he nearly outshone Hodgson (in my opinion I think he did but Canucks brass saw it differently). Then being cut and probably emotionally defeated after a good camp, he began what looked like a third season of disappointing production. He began the season as a secondary player-- from the outside looking in. But the difference this time was new city, team, and coach.

It didn't take long for Schroeder to motivate himself to learn from his coach and take his intensity to another level. When the coach noticed this, Schroeder slowly got primary minutes and more roles. Schroeder now plays the PP, PK, and ES up to 20 minutes a game. The result? Nearly point per game pace the last dozen and a half games.

I remember seeing him in camp and watching him closely being a fan of his even before being drafted. I still believe Schroeder has absolute elite talent, vision, and hockey IQ-- to the point I think he can be a player in the mold of Martin St. Louis. I still think with what we've finally started seeing this season is Schroeder's potential as a top 6 talent in the NHL.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Its a joke people questioning his compete level this year. Clearly just haven't seen him play with the Wolves. First its "He's not scoring enough points" and as a result is verging on bust territory. Then he does put up points, its not good enough and now its his compete level in question? :shakehead

He is their 2nd line center and has been most of the year. He plays a very intelligent two way game, strong on the back-check and strong positional play. He forechecks well, often the first man in on pucks. As a result of his frequently evident effort, he got promoted to the PK and has been a regular there since.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Just for comparison let's look at Hodgson.

Schroeder this season, even after the slow start, is producing at a PPG now better than Hodgson's season last year. Even though this is Schroeder's second season in the AHL, he is one year behind Hodgson (he left college earlier and entered the AHL earlier than Hodgson did at the same point in his own development).

Hodgson is equally adept at scoring goals as setting up teammates, and given his linemates would fluctuate and neither had the skill to play up to his playmaking skill, Hodgson actually ended up scoring more goals than having assists.

Schroeder on the other hand has always primarily been a playmaker. Even then, with the same kind of linemates that Hodgson had (meaning not able to keep up offensively at times) he's still producing at a pace that is probably going to end up being equal to or better than Hodgson's season last year.

That's why it would be foolish to give up on Schroeder. I think given how much Hodgson has now had success in his rookie season with a more competent teammates, I think Schroeder could do the very same think next season and do it better.

chopkins

Super Bowl Champs
Aug 7, 2009
Vancouver
The Canucks take their time with their prospects. The stats don't show it but apparently Schroeder is consistently one of Chicago's better forwards. Next season he should be our 1st call-up and potentially be an NHL regular by 2013.

He's in the same boat behind the Canucks' forward core as Schneider was behind Luongo. Either play in the NHL and get 4th line minutes or play in the AHL and get top 6 minutes.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I'm surprised he isn't putting up more points. He looked close to Hodgson's level in training camp. I figure he must be focusing on his defensive game knowing that is how to impress AV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad