What's Up With Jordan Schroeder?

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Not playing as well as I would think he would as a 21 year old "junior star" in the AHL (on a really good team mind you).

Is he just not as good as people thought or...?

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Hes hasnt been getting a ton of playing time, because its the Chicago Wolves and they mainly want to win a cup, not develop players...

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Not playing as well as I would think he would as a 21 year old "junior star" in the AHL (on a really good team mind you).

Is he just not as good as people thought or...?

Id like to know too. In my limited viewings I saw a kid with all the necessary skills to get the job done. Good skater, great shot, smart, great passing, and a good battler considering his size.

overtherainbow

Jan 6, 2012
The first time he was called up to the Manitoba Moose in the playoffs he did really well, near PPG. But it seems like he wasn't used to the rigorous schedule the season after.

This season he and the entire team had a slow start. With lots of new players, and him not finding chemistry until put on a same line with Anton Rodin. His recent streak of games have seen him near PPG which is encouraging.

Looking for him to be a first liner in the AHL next year/PPG and as first call up. If you want to know more you should head to the Canucks AHL thread where they discuss his future to death.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Never got the hype, personally. Think he was overrated because of some good WJC performances, and because he was drafted by a popular Canadian team. To make it in the NHL at that size you better be DAMN good, and I've just never been THAT blown away by him in the games I've seen. Some people see/saw some Briere in him, but he never seemed quite that shifty or talented to me. Also seems to be a bit of a liability on d, and very easily knocked off the puck, doesn't have the tree trunk legs like, say, Martin St. Louis.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Never got the hype, personally. Think he was overrated because of some good WJC performances, and because he was drafted by a popular Canadian team. To make it in the NHL at that size you better be DAMN good, and I've just never been THAT blown away by him in the games I've seen. Some people see/saw some Briere in him, but he never seemed quite that shifty or talented to me. Also seems to be a bit of a liability on d, and very easily knocked off the puck, doesn't have the tree trunk legs like, say, Martin St. Louis.

I usually agree with most of your opinions, but here I'd differ quite a bit.

I think Schroeder could carve out a pretty nice career in the NHL as a playmaking center. He has become much more defensively responsible, and has near-elite vision, passing, and speed imo. One of the biggest issues with Schroeder has always been finding teammates that can keep up with him. He has found some success recently, so hopefully that continues.

As for the strength issue, he is very strong for his size, and with age he will probably only get stronger/more ready for the NHL. He seems to have increased his desire to improve/be an NHL player, so I'm as confident now as ever that he will make the NHL and have an impact.

That being said, it doesn't seem like Schroeder is really in the Canuck's long term plans -- although I think it'd be a huge mistake trading him before he gets a chance in the NHL. I could see him turning into a Ray Whitney type player.

0123456789*

Long term project, dont see how he can carve out a spot on the Canucks in the foreseeable future. Infact if he wants to make the NHL in any capacity he has his work cut out for him. With his size he simply needs to be able to produce and so far he hasnt been able to regardless of how much he has been rounding out his game.

Personally I am skeptical, but like I said he is a long term project and still very young.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
he almost made the canucks during the pre season.. Meh, im just happy his defensive play is constantly getting better

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The answer seems pretty simple. He is Top 6 offensive wing type player who is ill suited for bottom 6 minutes and responsibilities. The team has a logjam at Top 6. Who is he going to replace? Similar situation in Chicago with Jeremy Morin. He's also ready for the NHL but who does he replace?

Nov 1, 2011
He's been good lately, people who see him play say he's been constantly one of the best players on the Wolves.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Partially but not entirely. He had a lot of hype well before his draft year with the NTDP program and during his draft year he put up insane numbers for a freshman at any school, yet alone a freshman at Minnesota. That, combined with the great crop of prospects that the US was putting out at the time (EJ, JJ, Kane, Bogosian, Myers, Wilson, JVR, Kessel) lead many to believe he was destined to be the next one in that group. When he fell as far as he did in that draft it was a huge shock, regardless of the fact that the 09 draft was regarded as being loaded at the time.

Hell, I was praying he would fall another 5 spots, even as much as he's struggled he certainly would have been a better pick then the bum the Canes ended up taking at #27. :laugh:

Eamonn*

Vancouver develops prospects very well. He'll probably get limited playing time until he can really prove he deserves the minutes. They did the same thing with Kesler.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
Imo,

he's a player who's actually better suited in the NHL. He just needs to be placed on an offensive line. He creates plays but needs to be surrounded with better players, he won't be a catalyst offensively consistently but is effective when paired with complimentary players.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Martin St Louis Freshmen year was 93-94- first NHL game 98-99 first full year 00-01

Jordan Schroeder freshmen year was 08-09 NHL ETA first game 13-14 first full year ETA 15-16.

He needs that top 6 spot.

Kershaw

It's still too early to be writing this kid off. He was a beast in the WJCs that one year too.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
i was so mad we traded up to take Josefson and left him on the table, heard he was gonna be the next Parise. Things arent going so well for him so far, but he's still very young and cans still become a very good player for the canucks

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
AHL Wayne Gretzky, aka Darren Haydar, is taking all of the minutes away from him.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't have an answer and haven't been following the Wolves but for an optimistic outlook consider Cody Hodgson.

2010-11 AHL: 52-17-13-30
2011-12 NHL: 42-10-14-24

Neither are the types of players to be 1st line star players, but with better linemates Cody has been more productive in the NHL than he was in the AHL (taking difficulty inflation into consideration). In this summers training camp Schroeder wasn't too far from Hodgson and looked close to making the team. Now he's certainly not going to be another Zach Parise, but it's too soon to write him off as a productive NHLer.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
He's still the 2nd youngest forward on the Wolves. Probably has at least a couple years to develop on the farm before he can be written off. Not much space on the Canucks for him unless he can figure out how to play wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad