Post-Game Talk: What's up Dach? Habs beat Hawks on Bleu-blanc-rouge Friday

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Ok you convinced me, let's give up two first rounders for him and hope he re-signs here.
MB please leaves that body.

I’m still recovering from letting Souray walk…

One of stupidest decision this team has ever made.

It was between him or Markov.

Then you trade Souray at the deadline. The team missed the playoffs that year. The worst thing a GM can do is lose valuable players on the UFA market in a year where his team misses the playoffs.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
If only we had traded Danault and Gallagher instead of losing one for nothing on UFA and extending the other to a bad contract.

The only saving grace there is we had the cup run, cucked the Leafs and then Bergevin was gone.
We call that the

Then you trade Souray at the deadline. The team missed the playoffs that year. The worst thing a GM can do is lose valuable players on the UFA market in a year where his team misses the playoffs.
Hey man! it wasn't my call.Of course you trade pending ufa's in that scenario.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

People contest about where we went wrong in the 2000’s. Souray was absolutely IT!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

No it wasn't. We had the money for Hamrlik and Spacek.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
One thing we need to think about is how it impacts the salary structure. Signing Tavares significantly screwed up TO’s plans because they had several other players who demanded huge contracts.

If you sign Kane for a huge amount of cash? Someone like Caufield will go for all he can.

Something that definitely needs to be considered.

That's a lot of money to add on the cap for a non-contender team.
He' s a free agent next season and if he's willing to sign for less to get the chance to play for the great Habs, it's another story...
Holy moley, boys. I didn't mean 34-year-old Kane specifically. I was saying I don't think we have a gamebreaking player like Kane on our team and that it would be good to draft one or we might not get to the upper echelon of success we want with the guys we have.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Holy moley, boys. I didn't mean 34-year-old Kane specifically. I was saying I don't think we have a gamebreaking player like Kane on our team and that it would be good to draft one or we might not get to the upper echelon of success we want with the guys we have.
I think Caufield is a game breaker. Maybe not as good as Kane (not many are) but I think he’ll be a superstar. We’ll see.

Last edited:

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
And the year we didn't have the money to keep Streit.
In my memory, Streit want only 2 millions a year at the time, can't remember the exact term, but he wanted to play only on defense but the habs didn't offer that and he choose another option where he can play where he want and of course more money but the money never be a issue with the habs.

In "French" : Streit aimait Montréal mais pas autant qu'être défenseur

PS : Maybe I'm wrong for the $$$ because I can't remember what I have do yesterday ... lol

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I remember it was the narrative when S.Savard traded C Chelios for D.Savard .
Chelios was near the end of his career because of his knees

He did have bad knees, and he slowed down a lot because of it, but Chelios was one tough motherf***er and a smart D. During an era where ACL tears were still 10-12 months recovery time, he just decided not to have the surgery and played on. Lmao.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Runner77

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He did have bad knees, and he slowed down a lot because of it, but Chelios was one tough motherf***er and a smart D. During an era where ACL tears were still 10-12 months recovery time, he just decided not to have the surgery and played on. Lmao.
Went on to win two Norris trophies with Chicago and finished top three an additional two times. Then finished 2nd for the Norris with Detroit at age 40.

Yeah, he was kinda okay...

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm just saying the knee issues were true. Chelios just over came it. Never should have traded him.
I know, you were pretty clear about that in your original post. Wasn't slagging you, just the org for trading him. And I totally agree that we never should've moved him.

Funny though, for years after... Serge Savard would say "we won the cup after that trade." Well, okay but.... :laugh:

Last edited:

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
I'm just saying the knee issues were true. Chelios just over came it. Never should have traded him.
He should keep his pants and never touch the wife of Ronald Corey maybe he will never be traded. I don't really buy his knees problem even if he have some issues I think the habs know is not a career injury problem but simply a way to get out of the town.

Keep in memory Montreal have rebuild the knee of Momesso just a couple year before and at the time you can call that a miracle. I can't figure how they can do some miracle on Momesso and misjudge Chelios like that just a couple year away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He should keep his pants and never touch the wife of Ronald Corey maybe he will never be traded. I don't really buy his knees problem even if he have some issues I think the habs know is not a career injury problem but simply a way to get out of the town.

Keep in memory Montreal have rebuild the knee of Momesso just a couple year before and at the time you can call that a miracle. I can't figure how they can do some miracle on Momesso and misjudge Chelios like that just a couple year away.
Serge Savard stated publicly on Mitch Melnick’s show last year, Habs doctors told him Chelios only had a couple of years left to play before his knees gave out, which is why he was dealt.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Habs did have the $, but Gainey wasn’t a big fan of Streit

Typical Salbutera fallacious historical revisionism

Gainey had signed Hamrlik the previous summer and already had his two first pairing lefthanded pivots. There was no place for a 3rd high profile lefty and Streit was a complete defensive liability on the right side.

Gainey also spent to the max and traded for forwards like Lang and Tanguay that summer because getting more offense was more important.

In my memory, Streit want only 2 millions a year at the time, can't remember the exact term, but he wanted to play only on defense but the habs didn't offer that and he choose another option where he can play where he want and of course more money but the money never be a issue with the habs.

PS : Maybe I'm wrong for the $$$ because I can't remember what I have do yesterday ... lol

Streit signed for between 5-6 mil per and we already had Markov and Hamrlik on the left side. There was simply no place on the ice or the cap for Streit.

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Typical Salbutera fallacious historical revisionism

Gainey had signed Hamrlik the previous summer and already had his two first pairing lefthanded pivots. There was no place for a 3rd high profile lefty and Streit was a complete defensive liability on the right side.

Gainey also spent to the max and traded for forwards like Lang and Tanguay that summer because getting more offense was more important.

Streit signed for between 5-6 mil per and we already had Markov and Hamrlik on the left side. There was simply no place on the ice or the cap for Streit.
Streit said himself, in the french article, he make a choice for his career and want to be a defenseman full-time something the habs can't promise. He has signed 20,5m for 5 years (cap hit 4,1m). At the time, if I remember well, the rumor said 2 or 2,5m a year to stay in Montreal because he really like it here and ready to take a discount but he can't have what he wanted. The money never be a issue with Streit!

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Serge Savard stated publicly on Mitch Melnick’s show last year, Habs doctors told him Chelios only had a couple of years left to play before his knees gave out, which is why he was dealt.
I know Chelios has bad knee, he said that himself in 1991 ( CHELIOS DECIDES TO END KNEE INJURY `SECRET` ) but I can't understand how the habs, a pionner in the medical staff domain see the Momesso surgery couple years before, can make this bad judgement! I know this is another ERA without the knowledge we have today!

They think is a couple away to retire because of his injury and he become the defenseman with the longest longevity in all the history of the NHL with 1631 regular season games + 266 playoffs games, 1897 games total in 27 years; Chara (1680 +200 = 1880) !

For me, something is wrong and too easy to put the mistake on the medical staff. I have difficulty to buy that and I think we didn't know all the story behind that trade. I don't think the story with the wife of Ronald Corey it's true but we never know; it's Chelios after all. But if it's true do you see Savard tell to Melnyk : I have trade this motherf**cker because each time I turn my head he go with the wife of Corey and the story we know protect him for the baddest trade he never make; he gain nothing to change the story we know ...

PS : honorable mention to Pierre Gervais maybe we will know more about Chelios if he make a Chapter 2 ;)

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

If I remember, it was a matter of money. Sterit was asking for 4M$ at the time. It seemed a lot but his years after the Habs proved they were wromg letting him go. Habs suffered not having a D like Streit for years.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If I remember, it was a matter of money. Sterit was asking for 4M$ at the time. It seemed a lot but his years after the Habs proved they were wromg letting him go. Habs suffered not having a D like Streit for years.

Oh stop it.

Subban debuted 24 months after Streit was gone.

Streit was a bad fit because of Markov and Hamrlik who were both rocks on the left side. At the time, Habs also had two very promising Ds, and one of them, McDonagh, was a lefty to boot.

Habs needed Streit to either play D on the right side where he sucked defensively or on offense.

Bergeron and Wiz both had success being used in Streit's spot following his departure and then Subban came in, so there was hardly any lag time to fill that role. Whatever dip the powerplay had, had more to do with Markov missing almost two years.

Streit was a midway occurence of a string of PP placeholders next to Markov who've had success.

Souray, Streit, Wiz, Subban

Schneider and Bergeron to a lesser extent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad