Post-Game Talk: What's up Dach? Habs beat Hawks on Bleu-blanc-rouge Friday

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lol, yes, hands comes in pair, so two first for Moneyhands. ;)
Joking aside, if Monahan stays healthy, I can’t see any scenario where he doesn’t fetch a first rounder unless there were to be a significant drop off from his current rate of production.

He’s also playing a premium position, has a track record of production when healthy and is on an expiring contract. How many other trade targets will combine all of these attributes? If the Habs retain on him, he’ll barely make a dent on someone’s cap at the trading deadline.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
???

Are you implying we shouldn't get star players on our team because they eventually make money?
That's a lot of money to add on the cap for a non-contender team.
He' s a free agent next season and if he's willing to sign for less to get the chance to play for the great Habs, it's another story...

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
In fact it's more of a sarcasm sibling few fans, that used to discredit Danault for 2-3 seasons . Their narrative being he was the product of Gallagher
No joke, a poster tryed to explain it was Tatar. When they get lack of arguments a guy try to find who was the other player on the line and bingo he finds Tatar. So that was him, lol. No joke, someone wrote that. But don't get me wrong, I loved Tatar few nights, he scored with ease and style, but Danault is always producing and have stats of +. LA Kings fans love him, he's a bargain.

• Haha
Reactions: ZUKI

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
People actually wanting to extend Monahan lol.. don't forget what we are doing here. He's 28 with surgeries to his wrists and both his hips.

We are lucky he's playing this well and you cash in on that Pronto.
I remember it was the narrative when S.Savard traded C Chelios for D.Savard .
Chelios was near the end of his career because of his knees

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
With Andlauer reportedly about to sell his 20% ownership stake, Molson will most likely be finding a way to fork out ca$h to buy those $hares.

Translation: next season has become a playoff must mandate for HuGo, if not the current one….
You have a point.
When the business side of NHL teams dictate culture or “success” they begin buying UFA’s and purchase their way to a playoff spot. This is great for regular season, boosts ticket sales and increases bottom line however this seldom produces playoff success. Becoming successful beyond the regular season and throughout the playoffs requires a far more organic approach…shrewd asset management, fortunate drafting & engaged development which is antithetical to the business model because it requires varying timelines and an intuition that is athletic in nature. Let’s hope we stay the course
Cheers

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
???

Are you implying we shouldn't get star players on our team because they eventually make money?
One thing we need to think about is how it impacts the salary structure. Signing Tavares significantly screwed up TO’s plans because they had several other players who demanded huge contracts.

If you sign Kane for a huge amount of cash? Someone like Caufield will go for all he can.

Something that definitely needs to be considered.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
What really stood out in the he shootout was that we finally had a team built around offensive players. Its been a long time since we actually built around a young core of forwards/D instead of building from the net out.

In the games we win its usually all because we can score goals rather than lucky 2-1 wins.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
So if it is a contender, you would be satisfied with a late 2nd round pick and a B/C prospect, in other words two 10% chances to get a player that could be as good as Monahan.(50-65 point NHL player who even hit 82 once).

And you would prefer that to signing him for 2-3 years under $5M per.

Okey dokey.

I simply don't agree, not even close. But hey, that's life.
You're misquoting me in saying I would be happy with a 2nd + B/C prospect. I said that's the minimum I would like. Yes I would still trade him. He's 28 with a bad hip. He doesn't fit into the rebuild scheme and why in the bloody hell would he settle for a 2-3 year contract under 5M when he will 100% get more on the open market? Foolish to believe so.

It's all about building something long term. No need to give out an anchor contract when you're going to have to start paying the youth soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlafySZN

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
With Andlauer reportedly about to sell his 20% ownership stake, Molson will most likely be finding a way to fork out ca$h to buy those $hares.

Translation: next season has become a playoff must mandate for HuGo, if not the current one….
That would be incredibly stupid of Molson. He stands to make a lot more in the long term having a competitive team challenging for the cup year in and year out than a mediocre team hoping for a cinderella run. Surely even he can see that.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You're misquoting me in saying I would be happy with a 2nd + B/C prospect. I said that's the minimum I would like. Yes I would still trade him. He's 28 with a bad hip. He doesn't fit into the rebuild scheme and why in the bloody hell would he settle for a 2-3 year contract under 5M when he will 100% get more on the open market? Foolish to believe so.

It's all about building something long term. No need to give out an anchor contract when you're going to have to start paying the youth soon.
Is a 2-3 year contract under $5M for a 6OA with talent finishing at age 30 or 31 an anchor contract? If he can't play, he goes on LTIR and does not outlast Price on it.

If he wants long term and money, then sure, trade him. But a team with talent can definitely include guys like Moneyhands. If he likes it here and we can afford it, sign him.

Not misquoting you. You repeated that you would make that trade. i assume you don't make trades that make you unhappy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What really stood out in the he shootout was that we finally had a team built around offensive players. Its been a long time since we actually built around a young core of forwards/D instead of building from the net out.

In the games we win its usually all because we can score goals rather than lucky 2-1 wins.
Gainey had signed offensive players.....................to help the goalies, it was the Rinse and Repeat era with Bergevin where we laid it all on the goalie, with the hey, ya never know, make da playoff, and just maybe............muckers, pluggers, and grinders, both on and off the ice.....brutal.

Glad we have moved forward, and apparently there are Centers and 1st round picks available.....we have gotten both with a real GM at the helm.
The kids developing right under MSL on a daily basis make them bearable to watch again.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
If we had only kept Danault and not Gallagher
I agree with your post.

I cut out one part which was quoted up top of this message.

I don’t recall anyone that foresaw Danault as the driver on that line. I think a majority of people thought it was Gallagher.

Just for fun, I went to revisit the advanced stats of Danault, Gallagher and Tatar for 2018-2021 and with the data available, it is impossible to know who the real driver was. It would have taken a very good internal department of advanced stats to figure it out.

Of course, professional team should have a department dedicated to this. MB didn’t believe so much in these. So he paid the price.

If we look at how Sakic was able to spot that Lehkonen is the superior player vs. Evans, then we can conclude that their advanced stats department is precise. Hopefully the Habs do learn from this.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

It's seem that an anonymous American already have bought that 20%.
They are waiting to announce the deal because ,apparently, the new owner wants to add a personal promotion ;

red caps with a " make Canadiens great again " written on them

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If only we had traded Danault and Gallagher instead of losing one for nothing on UFA and extending the other to a bad contract.

The only saving grace there is we had the cup run, cucked the Leafs and then Bergevin was gone.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I agree with your post.

I don’t recall anyone that foresaw Danault as the driver on that line. I think a majority of people thought it was Gallagher.

Just for fun, I went to revisit the advanced stats of Danault, Gallagher and Tatar for 2018-2021 and with the data available, it is impossible to know who the real driver was. It would have taken a very good internal department of advanced stats to figure it out.

Of course, professional team should have a department dedicated to this. MB didn’t believe so much in these. So he paid the price.

If we look at how Sakic was able to spot that Lehkonen is the superior player vs. Evans, then we can conclude that their advanced stats department is precise. Hopefully the Habs do learn from this.
You didn't need advanced stats to see that Danault was invaluable and that Gallagher was past his prime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If only we had traded Danault and Gallagher instead of losing one for nothing on UFA and extending the other to a bad contract.

The only saving grace there is we had the cup run, cucked the Leafs and then Bergevin was gone.
No cup run without Danault and the 30 straight successful penalty kills.

Keeping Danault would have meant not having to trade a first and second for Dvorak.

First for Gallagher, first for Tatar, keep the other pick (3rd) for KK.

Sure we get someone other than Slaf in the 2022 draft, but we would have been SO much farther ahead with three more firsts, one second and one third over two years and no $6.5M x 6 Gallagher contract to live with, and only about a $1.1M negative difference for Danault over Dvorak.

• Love
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

I’m still recovering from letting Souray walk…

• Haha
Reactions: Rob Sense

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He sure let them have it.

MO8e1H5.gif
Is there a clip of MSL’s face as this happened?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I agree with your post.

The advanced stats. It's incomplete data or it's bad analysing. Or someone with flair can figure out without advanced stats. Or all these answers combined. I was almost alone defending Danault when 95% of the members were bashing him. Well, more a couple of members here and there was sheep followers would repeat that narrative, lol. Danault was able to create a good line combo with two players who were not exactly team line players. That was two selfish shooters and Danault was checking the defense in case of. Now with LA, with new teamates who are unknowned he repeat the same succeeding stats, even better. But at the time, no one would pay attention to what Danault was doing good. Even the most respectable poster here was predicting his fallout. He's been quiet about that since D is in LA, I've never read that fallout 'thing' again.

Reactions: 1909 and NORiculous

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

No, the cup run and the win over the Lafs was worth keeping Danault. But Gallagher could have been traded instead of signing him too long term and too expensive. But at the time of his signing, honestly, it was hard to say he was getting done. At the time of the Leafs defeat, Gallagher didn't do much. Lehk did more and even Armia and Evans. But Danault was the center who neutralized the Lafs. He gave room to Suzuki and Caufield to score some important goals. Evans, Armia and others were just sideline help.

Reactions: 1909

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad