What's the scoop with Bouwmeester?

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Wanted to get everyone thought's about Bouwmeester's play this season. He's looking a touch out of it to me. Slower reads, his anticipation lags, and his offensive game has lost pretty much all effectiveness.

Just a mediocre year or do you feel something else is afloat?

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Before somebody jumps my **** I know a mediocre yr for Petro is still pretty darn good but if he kicks it up a notch it would be great because it's there

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
He doesn't looks as sharp as he did at times last year for sure. I think he was playing sick for awhile earlier in the year and then he had the injury so those things must've hurt his momentum early on, I think he will turn it around for the second half though.

On the plus side Petro, Cole, and Gunnerson have looked much better lately.

DangledUpinBlues

Oct 25, 2014
All of those late nights grading papers for his 8th grade history students are beginning to take their toll =/

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
On the plus side Petro, Cole, and Gunnerson have looked much better lately.

Not to throw things off topic, but Gunnarsson has looked near outstanding. I did not expect him to be so effective defensively and he's not too shabby in other zones. A bit grittier than I imagined.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
CA is unquestionably my new favorite poster. He loves all the same things I do. Toughness, grit, old fashion caveman hockey! Sorry Robb and Elk, you're now tied for second.

Captain America*

The only person who was worse than Brewer in recent memory is Sydor. He was just terrible. Come on, you must be joking thinking Bouwmeester is that bad

Taking into consideration the fact that Brewer will fight if needed, throw a hit once in awhile, get mean & aggressive a little more than Bouwmeester, clear the crease more effectively and makes around 2 million less and Bouwmeester is a little younger, a better skater and has a little more hockey sense.

The edge goes to Bouwmeester, but not by much.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Taking into consideration the fact that Brewer will fight if needed, throw a hit once in awhile, get mean & aggressive a little more than Bouwmeester, clear the crease more effectively and makes around 2 million less and Bouwmeester is a little younger, a better skater and has a little more hockey sense.

The edge goes to Bouwmeester, but not by much.

alright I give up

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I can't say "just a mediocre year like Petro" because Pietrangelo looks way, way better than him. Pietrangelo isn't even struggling anymore, he's playing good.

Bouwmeester is only 31 so I really have no idea what the deal is with him, but it's been disappointing.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Petro has been awesome for like 2 months now. It's time to put that talk to rest.

As for JBo....I honestly have no idea. Possibly still battling through that injury? I'm really just grasping at straws because he wasn't playing all that well before the injury either. Whatever it is, he needs to pick it up. He's capable of much better play.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I've mentioned it before but in an article it referenced how they wanted him to become a defensive defenseman, but that wouldn't explain anything other then his offensive touch.

His passing and overall play has just been subpar all year

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I was at the game Tuesday night, and saw the game versus the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The whole team looked terrible in the first period. But Bouwmeester looked bad the whole game.

His offensive game is gone. Apparently he had some good offensive seasons early in his career, but it is hard to imagine it now, watching his play. He gets off the occasional slap shot, but its rarely hard or on goal, so maybe he is making a slap pass. Either way, it isn't productive. Occasionally, he jumps up on the play and receives a pass in front, but he can't seem to get a good shot on goal.

He isn't physical at all as a defenseman, and I'm guessing he never was. He gets pushed around on the boards. His reads are good and he is still a good skater.
Some say he isn't as fast as he used to be - I can't tell if that is so.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
I've mentioned it before but in an article it referenced how they wanted him to become a defensive defenseman, but that wouldn't explain anything other then his offensive touch.

His passing and overall play has just been subpar all year

"They", as in the staff?

Why would they ask a guy to change his game when his game is what motivated them to trade for and extend him in the first place?

I'd almost....alllllmmmosssttt like to see Gunnarsson moved up with Pietro for a few games, move Bouwmeester back, with Cole playing the off side. Third pairing could use some work, but if they rotated Butler and Lindbohm with Jackman....meh? Mainly I'd just like to see Gunnar-Petro a few times. Shattenkirk out simply changes the whole blueline pairings. Now we're RH deficient.

I hope Bouwmeester finds some stability, and eventually, confidence again. His gap closures, turn and pursuits if he's taken wide....it's all been noticeably....slower. Weird version of Meester we're seeing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yes staff, it was in one of JR's articles. Also eluded to Pies slow starts being do to the defensive zone start load increase. Pietrangelo has been alot more active on the rush with Bouwmeester hanging back more, so I don't see it as a far fetched observation

RR10*

Was never impressed with him. A mediocre and sometimes bad defenseman.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Petro has been awesome for like 2 months now. It's time to put that talk to rest.

As for JBo....I honestly have no idea. Possibly still battling through that injury? I'm really just grasping at straws because he wasn't playing all that well before the injury either. Whatever it is, he needs to pick it up. He's capable of much better play.

There has been talk that is earlier injury was a groin and he has admitted to coming back too early. That groin just doesn't heal and he will likely not get there until the season is over. For a mobile dman, that is an issue and it will effect everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad