What's the plan ?

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Haha - talk about the "damned if do, damned if you don't" scenario ....

Everyone here is screaming to "play the kids", and when we make moves that will give lots of ice time to kids who are just now starting to be ready, then they're stupid for not making big moves that would take that ice time away :shakehead

Wasn't that the plan last year too ? if the plan is to play the kids (i'm ok with it) and the coach plays them 3/5 min per game, then what ?

If the coach doesn't change his way of coaching, the core remains the same, and the results remain the same, then what ? unless we are forcing carlyle to give the kids meaningful playing time, nothing will change !!

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
The ideal scenario for Nonis/Shanny obviously included resigning Bolland for 5 years. When he signs somewhere else it becomes part of a plan to makes moves to give ice time to the young players that didn't get a ton of ice time last season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The ideal scenario for Nonis/Shanny obviously included resigning Bolland for 5 years. When he signs somewhere else it becomes part of a plan to makes moves to give ice time to the young players that didn't get a ton of ice time last season.

The ideal move for Nonis / Shanny was to sign Bolland to a reasonable contract.

If they weren't able to, then they would have moved towards the younger player.

We know this, because once Bolland signed in Florida, the Leafs / Nonis / Shanny didn't make a stupid, impulsive, snap judgment decision to throw money at another FA.

They showed good restraint yesterday.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The ideal move for Nonis / Shanny was to sign Bolland to a reasonable contract.

If they weren't able to, then they would have moved towards the younger player.

We know this, because once Bolland signed in Florida, the Leafs / Nonis / Shanny didn't make a stupid, impulsive, snap judgment decision to throw money at another FA.

They showed good restraint yesterday.

Agreed they did but that doesn't mean they still won't try and add another Vet Center before Camp starts.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It seems that pretty obviously (not to mention Nonis said as much during some interviews) that their trying to recapture the 'magic' of the 2012-2013 season.

I'm glad things like Bolland's greed got int he way of them signing any contracts yesterday that could have been cap crippling.

I liked the trade/signings of yesterday for the most part - but this team still didn't fix its biggest problem - our awful coach, which is why i'm not too optimistic about the forthcomming season.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Get ready for more disappointment Leafs fans. I'm immune to it now.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Am i the only one a bit lost when i see the moves we made and the overall strategy ?
We are trying to recreate the same team that lost in the 1st round of the playoffs in a shortened season, it is not like we are trying to put the old oilers on ice here :help:

I don't know why you post the same thing again and again. Yes, they want to recreate the emotion and compete level of that team, but nothing more. They got two former players back, but how is the following the same team?

Phaneuf, Franson, Gunnarsson, Liles, Kostka, Fraser (Gardiner)
Reimer

vs.

Phaneuf, Gardiner, Robidas, Reilly, Polak, Granberg
Bernier

I don't get it. I can't see MacArthur, Grabovski and Kulemin on our roster. Are the Isles trying to recreate that Leafs team too or what?

HonestHockey*

The plan is to give ice-time to young players without them earning it. Says Leaf fans.

Jun 27, 2005
what really makes me scratch my head is how people on this board can expect to go from a 8th last place team to a contender in the matter of one off season... that's a pretty stupid mentality lol.

I think what a lot of people around here actually wanted was serious change one way or the other. Staying on the bubble is the worst possible outcome.

I don't expect to go from bottom 8 to contending team in one offseason, but i expect that the core players that failed 3 years in a row to be held responsable and traded (talking dion, lupul..)

We gave them a second, third chance and failed, why are we expecting the 4th time to be any different ?

I think a lot of people around here agree with that.

I never talk about FA, because that should be reserved to good teams who need that last piece. All i'm saying is that we failed miserably with these same players and coach, yet we are happy doing the same thing again !!

look if the plan is to tank, i would be the first person to support this but we seem destined to be a bubble team AGAIN :help:

Yep and the problem with being on the bubble is that you don't fall far enough to pick in the top 3 so you stay mediocre possibly for decades.

The plan is to make the playoffs. No long-term vision it seems.

Yep. The problem with this plan is that it was the plan for the last decade and look where it's gotten us.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
One of the complaints (and there was a massive list) was that the Leafs were too easy to play against last year.. So they want to go back to how they played two years ago

i just think this is an insane attitude to have if you're the guy who took over that team and made a bunch of moves to try to improve it, including subtracting some guys who whatever their faults played and skated hard.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
It appears they want to bring in tough, character type veterans with higher compete levels at a reasonable cost to better complement our skilled players/mentor our youngsters.

Polak is strong and fast, Robidas is a warrior with leadership skills and Komarov is a beast who opponents hate to play against.

Others they targeted such as B. Boyle, Josh Gorges and Bolland (although overpriced) also fit that bill.

Frattin is a nice buy low option with NHL size and shot at 800 K who might be able to play further up the lineup than D'amigo, although he certainly was less than impressive last season. Still a minor deal in the grand scheme of things.

Time will tell whether those who question giving up additional picks for Polak and Frattin were right.

Thus far we know the following about Shannahan:

a) that he likes players who make opponents "pay the price" and compete
b) he values skill and upside and is willing to swing for the fences as per the Nylander selection
c) he does not want to rely on July 1st every year because it "puts you behind the eight ball"
d) that he feels our drafting/development needs to get to another level
e) he is willing to be patient for the right deal because every other team is trying to improve
f) he is thorough- his fingerprints have been all over the past few moves
g) he won't make rash decisions to appease fans- see Carlyle
h) feels we need a culture change and new direction- his introductory presser

This all points to a strong combination of skill and sandpaper being our direction; we just need to find the right mix to create a winning environment. Basically, if we can continue to score, begin to defend better and win battles more consistently it will pay dividends as we continue to draft and develop our young talent.

The edge these new guys play with should be contagious and inspire others to give it their all each and every shift. There should be more accountability and leadership in the locker room which will encourage others to buy into playing the right way, thereby gradually molding our team into winners. This won't happen all at once. Some first steps could be surrendering less shots and protecting leads better this season. We might even take a step backwards in the win column, such are the growing pains when you give young players more responsibility.

There should still be some fresh faces on the horizon as we still have cap space and need to add our assistant coaches.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad