What's the plan ?

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Am i the only one a bit lost when i see the moves we made and the overall strategy ?
We are trying to recreate the same team that lost in the 1st round of the playoffs in a shortened season, it is not like we are trying to put the old oilers on ice here :help:

Shuffling the complimentary pieces won't make the difference to go from a bottom 8 team to a contender status, if the core stays the same, there is no reason to expect better results from this roster. To me if bernier goes down, we are a bottom 3 team !!

I would like some clarity with this management team, like in 3 years we want to be this, and in 5 years we want to be that, is this too much to ask :shakehead

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
The plan looks like we are going to give a chance to our young guys, let the continue to develop, while surrounding them with some vet presence.

I see this as a nod to Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, and some of the kids still not with the big club.

J1S

May 12, 2014
Nonis & Company certainly know we aren't ready to compete for a Stanley Cup, but we're also not a basement team. This city deserves to watch playoff hockey and I think getting Reilly, Gardiner, Bernier, Kessel, JVR and some of our other core pieces some more playoff experience would help set this team in the right direction in terms of putting together consistent seasons. Making Toronto an attractive hockey destination again is a definite necessity.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
The plan looks like we are going to give a chance to our young guys, let the continue to develop, while surrounding them with some vet presence.

I see this as a nod to Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, and some of the kids still not with the big club.

Look, i prefer my team to suck for 2 or 3 years than to be a bubble team for a decade !!

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Play the kids and surround them with vets. The direction seems pretty clear to me.

This is a development year for the likes of Kadri, Rielly and Gardiner. They'll have bigger roles for better or worse.

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
they have been touting D Amigo as one of the young guys for the future then they trade him away for an average at best nhler

these moves don't make sense adding a 37 year old dman really

Leafs are drowning

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Play the kids and surround them with vets. The direction seems pretty clear to me.

This is a development year for the likes of Kadri, Rielly and Gardiner. They'll have bigger roles for better or worse.

Again, what's the goal here ? make the playoffs or win the cup !! I see moves being made to squeeze into the playoffs but i'm not seeing any moves that tell me this team wants to win anything meaningfull !!

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Again, what's the goal here ? make the playoffs or win the cup !! I see moves being made to squeeze into the playoffs but i'm not seeing any moves that tell me this team wants to win anything meaningfull !!

Develop the young players you have. Results come later.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
The plan is obvious. The real question is whether Nonis will be able to go the distance and finish the job.

Targets (based on who they inquired about yesterday and needs):

1)#3/4C (Ott)
2)Top 4 D for Dion (?)
3)backup goaltender (Brodeur)
4)Possibly a winger with size (Bickell?)

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Frattin
Komorov Holland/? Clarkson
Ashton/Broll/Devane/Bodie/Carrick/Gauthier/etc

Phaneuf ------------
Gardiner Polak/Robidas
Rielly Polak/Robidas
Granberg

Bernier
----------

Trade Bait: Franson, Reimer, Lupul (if possible), Young D

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Suck again this year and get a top 5 pick.

Play the kids a lot more. That means Holland, Ashton, some Lievo/Percy/Granberg mixed in and expanded roles for Gardiner and Rielly.

Pair next year top 5 pick with Nylander and have 2 cornerstone young building blocks.

Trade Lupul for a good prospect/pick.

Have loads of cap space for the following seasons.

Essentially, we are going to suck and rebuild with some youth while keeping our cap space... so it's a transition year BIG time imo. I'm okay with this.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
Nonis and Carlyle are banking on the fact that this team is considerably talented but also extremely young and inexperienced. I think Shanny is letting them address these issues.

This team will be given a chance to show that they can win... if not, you'll see us sell more assets than we ever have at next years trade deadline.

Personally, I do not think our team is in bad shape as some people believe. Our speed and skill level is elite, we just lack consistency on defence. The fact that Franson was our only RHD last year proved to be a major problem and I'm glad they addressed this with some toughness and experience.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I like the direction they are taking

Surround the young D with 2 solid vets who can lead by example and also provide quality minutes to make the group better.

Brought back a former player who had chemistry with some guys and was only dealt away to acquire our #1 goalie was forced to be dealt. Signed a guy in Komorov who was good while playing here at his role and hopefully can bring some offence to the bottom 6

Bringing up some depth from the Marlies to round out bottom 6.

Management talking about rolling 4 lines to provide top players more rest which turns into being fresh for 3rd periods or late in the season no more burning out the top line by the end of 2nd or the month of Jan.

The only thing that has to be answered is if Carlyle will abandon his stupid wingers crash low system which resulted in the Leafs being hemmed into their zone for months at a time haha.

So I like the direction they are going.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
They are finally going to start playing the kids, but doing it smart by having a strong veteran presence. developing young players requires structure, and good role models. Look at what happened with the Oilers and Isles without solid vets to surround them.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014

Developing youth = contender as long term goal.

Adding vet presence sounds like making the playoffs is the short term goal, and allowing our kids to get some playoff experience. = contender as long term goal.

The meaningful moves are the ones we didn't make. The only way we become a contender is to develop the young players we have, and give them a change to gain playoff experience.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Develop the young players you have. Results come later.

play the kids, with a coach that has never been very willing to play the kids.

develop the young players you have, like D'Amigo, or trade them without ever giving them a proper shot at the NHL level.

develop young players, while trading away a great many picks because picks don't matter.

be more like that team we didn't want to be like any longer as recently as a year ago.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

So you'd rather they have overpaid yet again on July 1st? Interesting. I don't see any moves being made until they're made myself, and then I'll reassess. To me it looks like a team that is handing the reigns over to their young players and letting the chips fall depending on how they do. In the last week I saw both Rielly and Gardiner each have a stabilizing RHD partner brought in. Make no mistake those moves were catered to them, Robidas even said as much.

Or should they sell on the young players and build a playoff team?

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
what really makes me scratch my head is how people on this board can expect to go from a 8th last place team to a contender in the matter of one off season... that's a pretty stupid mentality lol.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
So you'd rather they have overpaid yet again on July 1st? Interesting. I don't see any moves being made until they're made myself, and then I'll reassess. To me it looks like a team that is handing the reigns over to their young players and letting the chips fall depending on how they do.

Or should they sell on the young players and build a playoff team?

Either our kids are going to start to put it together or we get another good pick. :handclap:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
They are finally going to start playing the kids, but doing it smart by having a strong veteran presence. developing young players requires structure, and good role models. Look at what happened with the Oilers and Isles without solid vets to surround them.

they are finally going to start playing the kids, this team that has traded its 2nd round pick in back-to-back-to-back years, made a 5 year contract offer to Dave Bolland, and shipped out one its most NHL ready prospects in D'Amigo.

i'm sick of seeing the Islanders and Oilers thrown around here as silver linings. yeah, at least we don't have a huge stable of young talented players to show for almost a decade of bottom-10 finishes.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
play the kids, with a coach that has never been very willing to play the kids.

develop the young players you have, like D'Amigo, or trade them without ever giving them a proper shot at the NHL level.

develop young players, while trading away a great many picks because picks don't matter.

be more like that team we didn't want to be like any longer as recently as a year ago.

name one young NHL ready player that Carlyle has refused to play on this team

He has given guys like Rielly, Gardiner, JVR, and Bernier premier roles on this team. If you can play you will get your minutes.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
they are finally going to start playing the kids, this team that has traded its 2nd round pick in back-to-back-to-back years, made a 5 year contract offer to Dave Bolland, and shipped out one its most NHL ready prospects in D'Amigo.

i'm sick of seeing the Islanders and Oilers thrown around here as silver linings. yeah, at least we don't have a huge stable of young talented players to show for almost a decade of bottom-10 finishes.

Our core is made up of top 10 draft picks.

JVR - ? - Kessel
Nylander - Kadri - ?

Rielly - Phaneuf

Bernier

6 top 10 picks from the last 9 drafts. We need 1 more in the upcoming draft to get that #1C and this team will be competitive for a long time, considering that solid group of prospects that we have to fill the bottom 6 roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad