What's the most lopsided trade in NHL history?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
One to consider: Montreal getting Guy Lafleur.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...198802&type=Player&page=bio&list=ByName#photo

Although he is best known for his glory years with Montreal, he only ended up with the Habs because they had arranged a complicated series of deals with the California Golden Seals to get the Seals' first draft pick in 1971 and used it to pick Lafleur from the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec junior league. Scouts had been watching Lafleur as he led the Remparts to the Memorial Cup in 1971, and Montreal GM Sam Pollock was keen on ensuring Lafleur wound up in a Montreal sweater.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
maybe not the worst ever, but this was personal. imagine phoenix with selanne and draper (another nominee in this thread) ! they could've actually contended in the late 90's.

too bad phoenix fans had to endure the same type of incompetence from management that winnipeggers had to.

:banghead:

i should add, tverdovsky was a good looking prospect, BUT his mother was kidnapped in Russia at the time, and imo he never came even close to the player he could've been (possibly because of it; psychologically on an 18 year old that is unbelievable pressure and i don't know if one can fully recover). kilger was a plugger then, just as he is now. just another example that the hockey gods hated the jets almost as much as they hate the leafs !

Weren't dumping Selanne and Draper for next to nothing purposeful moves by outgoing Jets management in order to screw with those who were moving the team to Phoenix? I could swear I read that somewhere.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Surprised no one's mentioned this. I dont know if its the most lopsided trade of all time, but its up there:

30-Jun-92: Philadelphia Flyers traded Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

6 players, 2 first round picks, and cash for Lindros.

Last edited:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Surprised no one's mentioned this. I dont know if its the most lopsided trade of all time, but its up there:

30-Jun-92: Philadelphia Flyers traded Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

if it was a completely healthy Lindros throughout his career i'd make that trade again from the flyers standpoint. that's how good he was imo before the injuries.

i don't fault the flyers for making that trade. i guess that's why i'm on a hockey forum on a saturday night and not a GM !! lol

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

An MVP-calibre player is well worth it. The fact that Forsberg exceeded all expectations is what throws it out of whack.

However, don't forget what kind of a phenom Lindros was. The best prospect since Lemieux, and he proved it the second he stepped onto the ice. There's a difference between a bad trade and an unfortunate one.

Put it this way: Would you trade your teams top prospect, 2 first rounders, and a few other solid players for Sidney Crosby? I would.

If Lindros had flopped it would have been lopsided. Clearly he did not.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gilmour, Macoun, Natress, Wamsley and Manderville for nothing was a horrible trade at the time and only got worse as time went on.

Bingo....

this one turned the Leafs around and the Flames the other way...

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
The original wording of the question was "turned out to be the worst," so this includes trades that looked good at the time, but in time turned out badly for one team, i.e. trading Dale Hunter for the draft pick that became Joe Sakic. As an Avs fan, I'm a bit biased there, but you get the idea.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Former Leaf draft picks have been used to select Roberto Luongo and Scott Niedermayer.

Was it REALLY worth it to bring Wendel Clark back?:sarcasm:

That's not fair. who knows if Toronto even picks Luongo or Niedermayer. For all we know instead of Niedermayer Toronto picks Peter Forsberg, and instead of Luongo they choose Marian Hossa.

:sarcasm:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
One of Milbury's Many Gems:

The Canucks Trevor Linden for Todd Bertuzzi, Brian McCabe and a Third Round Pick which was used to Draft Jarrko Ruutu.

That's not as bad as the Luongo + Jokinen for Parrish + Kvasha. That's the worst one.

Zetterberg4Captain*

An MVP-calibre player is well worth it. The fact that Forsberg exceeded all expectations is what throws it out of whack.

However, don't forget what kind of a phenom Lindros was. The best prospect since Lemieux, and he proved it the second he stepped onto the ice. There's a difference between a bad trade and an unfortunate one.

Put it this way: Would you trade your teams top prospect, 2 first rounders, and a few other solid players for Sidney Crosby? I would.

If Lindros had flopped it would have been lopsided. Clearly he did not.

Yeah but the thread starter is just asking which trade's have TURNED out to be some of the worst ever so its doesn't really matter about what Lindros could have been....

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
not sure they the worst but Buffalo sent a couple washed up players to the Kings in the early 80s in seprate deals to get the Kings first rounders in 82 and 83.

In 1980 i believe they traded Jerry Korab for LA kings 1st round pick in 1982 which turned out to be #6 overall(Phil Housely) and 1 year later in 1981 they traded Rick Martin to LA for there first in 1983 which ended up the 5th overall pick(Tom Barasso).

Randall Graves*

Yeah but the thread starter is just asking which trade's have TURNED out to be some of the worst ever so its doesn't really matter about what Lindros could have been....
It did not turn out bad for the Flyers. Lindros was a dominant player at his peak...all that trade is, is Forsberg and mostly spare parts. People just remember the Lindros at the end and not the guy that tore up the league IMO.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
It did not turn out bad for the Flyers. Lindros was a dominant player at his peak...all that trade is, is Forsberg and mostly spare parts. People just remember the Lindros at the end and not the guy that tore up the league IMO.

Thibault turned into a major part of the Roy to Colorado deal, not to mention Chris Simon was a piece of the first Stanley Cup win in '96.

raad_luongo

Jul 28, 2006
Vancouver
I would say any trade with NYI was lopsided.

New York Islanders traded Olli Jokien and Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha.

New York Islanders traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and 3rd round selection (Jarkko Ruutu) in 1998 to the Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden.

This trade was the best for canuck's because we got linden back for nothing, then we traded mcabe for one of the sedin's so we can have them both and look at them now. We traded bertuzzi for luongo, all of this was possible because of dumb gm's that thought linden was still a 35 goal scorer.

The naslund trade ofcourse and last but certainly not least the cam neely trade was the dumbest thing that ever happened to this canucks franchise besides loosing in the stanley cup finals against bot New york teams.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Former Leaf draft picks have been used to select Roberto Luongo and Scott Niedermayer.

Was it REALLY worth it to bring Wendel Clark back?:sarcasm:

The Leafs shipped out their 1st round pick (turned into Niedermayer) for Tom Kurvers.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
I would say any trade with NYI was lopsided.

New York Islanders traded Olli Jokien and Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha.

New York Islanders traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and 3rd round selection (Jarkko Ruutu) in 1998 to the Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden.

This trade was the best for canuck's because we got linden back for nothing, then we traded mcabe for one of the sedin's so we can have them both and look at them now. We traded bertuzzi for luongo, all of this was possible because of dumb gm's that thought linden was still a 35 goal scorer.

The naslund trade ofcourse and last but certainly not least the cam neely trade was the dumbest thing that ever happened to this canucks franchise besides loosing in the stanley cup finals against bot New york teams.

No mention of Yashin for Chara and Spezza. Another Milbury beauty.:eek: :amazed: :shakehead :help:

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
I think the greatest player to play the game was involved in TWO VERY weak trades.

Edmonton Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky, Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley to the Los Angeles Kings
for
Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, 1st round selection (later traded to the New Jersey Devils - Jason Miller) in 1989, 1st round selection (Martin Rucinsky) in 1991, 1st round selection (Nick Stajduhar) in 1993 and cash.

And then even worse...

Los Angeles Kings traded Wayne Gretzky to the St. Louis Blues
for
Craig Johnson, Patrice Tardif, Roman Vopat, 5th round selection (Peter Hogan) in 1996 and 1st round selection (Matt Zultek) in 1997.

Followed by another great player traded twice for complete shite...

Pittsburgh Penguins traded Jaromir Jagr and Frantisek Kucera to the Washington Capitals for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek and Ross Lupaschuk and future considerations.

and then

Washington Capitals traded Jaromir Jagr to the New York Rangers for Anson Carter.

I understand both trades were financial decisions but still...

BDubinskyNYR17*

I think the greatest player to play the game was involved in TWO VERY weak trades.

Edmonton Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky, Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley to the Los Angeles Kings
for
Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, 1st round selection (later traded to the New Jersey Devils - Jason Miller) in 1989, 1st round selection (Martin Rucinsky) in 1991, 1st round selection (Nick Stajduhar) in 1993 and cash.

And then even worse...

Los Angeles Kings traded Wayne Gretzky to the St. Louis Blues
for
Craig Johnson, Patrice Tardif, Roman Vopat, 5th round selection (Peter Hogan) in 1996 and 1st round selection (Matt Zultek) in 1997.

Followed by another great player traded twice for complete shite...

Pittsburgh Penguins traded Jaromir Jagr and Frantisek Kucera to the Washington Capitals for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek and Ross Lupaschuk and future considerations.

and then

Washington Capitals traded Jaromir Jagr to the New York Rangers for Anson Carter.

I understand both trades were financial decisions but still...

New York Rangers traded Mattias Norstrom, Ray Ferraro, Ian Laperriere, Nathan Lafayette and 4th round selection (Sean Blanchard) in 1997 to the Los Angeles Kings for Marty McSorley, Jari Kurri and Shane Churla. :banghead: :shakehead I guess Neil Smith was drunk at the time. :cry:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
New York Rangers traded Mattias Norstrom, Ray Ferraro, Ian Laperriere, Nathan Lafayette and 4th round selection (Sean Blanchard) in 1997 to the Los Angeles Kings for Marty McSorley, Jari Kurri and Shane Churla. :banghead: :shakehead I guess Neil Smith was drunk at the time. :cry:

lol...i dont see too much wrong with this one...i meant it's not that bad certainly not the worst

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
That's actually one of the best trades in Caps history, to get Jagr away from the young kids.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
The winner is the Naslund - Stojanov trade. Bar none.

Vancouver would get one of the decade's deadliest snipers and one of the most consistent point leaders while Pittsburgh got, well, nothing.

Say what you will about Stojanov as he was supposed to be a physical winger to help out Mario and Jagr but he didn't even end up a consistent fourth liner.

I can't think of any other trade where the value was so absolutely lopsided.

Wetcoaster

The winner is the Naslund - Stojanov trade. Bar none.

Vancouver would get one of the decade's deadliest snipers and one of the most consistent point leaders while Pittsburgh got, well, nothing.

Say what you will about Stojanov as he was supposed to be a physical winger to help out Mario and Jagr but he didn't even end up a consistent fourth liner.

I can't think of any other trade where the value was so absolutely lopsided.

As I said earlier that was my second choice. At least Stojanov made the NHL.

My first has to be the trade for Hall of Fame goalie Ken Dryden by Boston to Montreal for two prospects, one of whom did not turn pro and the other who had a couple of minor pro seasons.

That to me is the most lopsided trade in NHL history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad