What's the most lopsided trade in NHL history?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
What about this one:

Colorado acquires Theo Fleury, Chris Dingman for Rene Corbet,Wade Belak, Robyn Regehr and a 2nd rounder (Jarrett Stoll) at the trading deadline in '99

Fleury signed with the Rangers after the season so it was Dingman for Corbet, Belak, Regehr and Stoll

I respectfully disagree.

That was a classic (and common) roll the dice move by a serious contender seeking "the missing piece" to help them achieve the Cup.

Even if they had won that spring with Fleury, there is a good chance that they would not have re-signed him. It was strictly a short-term gambit. They did not win the Cup that post-season with Fleury, but likewise, you can bet that they would not have had they not made the deal.

Contenders, serious contenders, go for it. Your window is only so long.

Put it this way: was Carolina silly for giving up high picks and a couple of prospects for Recchi and Weight, both of whom have since moved on only a few months later? ;)

Solid deal for Calgary (obviously), but I would not rip Colorado on that one.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Not to mention Fluery helped the Avs beat the Wings , which was a huge deal at the time. The idea of siging Fleury long term was also there, Theo's personal problems made them antsy though.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
It seems as though Doug Gilmore always has a habit of being involved in one sided trades.

First the trade from St. Louis to Calgary - I know the extenuating circumstances which must be taken into account - but still that was a train wreck and a half for the Blues organization.

Second the trade from Calgary to Toronto - I know the extenuating circumstances once again with the contract not being worked out but once again what a train wreck for the Flames organization.

Third and often forgotten is that of Doug Gilmore and JP Dumont to the Sabres for Michal Grosek.

With a number of these trades they appeared to be even at the time - with these three trades they never really appeared to be even at any time. Might not work out to be the most lopsided ever but still lopsided nonetheless

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The Nordiques getting a 183 years old Guy Lafleur from the Rangers for a pick, later to become Sergei Zubov.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
The Nordiques getting a 183 years old Guy Lafleur from the Rangers for a pick, later to become Sergei Zubov.
It was a 5th Round pick. That was a great 5th Round pick, 85th overall, but it's not like Quebec traded the 1st overall pick on draft day or some other really high draft pick that would yield a seemingly sure thing.

Randall Graves*

I don't think it's the same at all. Lindros had yet to play a single game in the NHL. I think it's more equal to making the same trade for Crosby before he ever played a game in the NHL. Not all super prospects can adopt to the NHL.
I'll just second what Arbezz said, maybe more like Malkin but Lindros' pre NHL value was atleast as much as Crosby's.

harry 93

Jul 24, 2006
What single trade turned out to be the worst?

@Trottier and Hasbro

The thing is that the Avs gained nothing (they didn't win the cup) and they gave up services of a pretty talented young man (Regehr) and a solid 3rd liner (Corbet) not to mention a 2nd rounder who turned out to be a more than solid 2-way-center (Stoll).
I would have made the deal in 99, too, but in my opinion, it turned out to be a bad deal for the avs - from a 2006 point of view.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
@Trottier and Hasbro

The thing is that the Avs gained nothing (they didn't win the cup) and they gave up services of a pretty talented young man (Regehr) and a solid 3rd liner (Corbet) not to mention a 2nd rounder who turned out to be a more than solid 2-way-center (Stoll).
I would have made the deal in 99, too, but in my opinion, it turned out to be a bad deal for the avs - from a 2006 point of view.
I'd like to have that one back or at least have the player to be named later turned out to be Skoula. One game with in the finals was gaining something though.

Corbet was pretty much shot at that point, though.

Drury for Morris was much worse.

I'm sure I just skipped over this one Montreal Canadiens traded Eric Desjardins, Gilbert Dionne and John LeClair to the Philadelphia Flyers for Mark Recchi and 3rd round selection (Martin Hohenberger) in 1995.

harry 93

Jul 24, 2006
I'd like to have that one back or at least have the player to be named later turned out to be Skoula.
Drury for Morris was much worse.

I totally agree - but at least Colorado still has Ossi Vaanaanen (who's not an adequate counter value for Drury) for Chris Drury.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
@Trottier and Hasbro

Harry - all indisputable points, so no disagreement there.

I'm just coming from the perspective that 99% of the time, the contender has to overpay at the deadline in any deal. Simply because they are looking to get that piece(s) that will put them over the top. The price for a Cup (or, more specifically, a very serious, enhanced opportunity at the Cup) is overpayment of assets, of "futures".

That is why come every March, some on HF hyperventilate when a playoff hopeful gives away picks or futures for an aging vet. see: Roloson, March, 06.

harry 93

Jul 24, 2006
Harry - all indisputable points, so no disagreement there.

I'm just coming from the perspective that 99% of the time, the contender has to overpay at the deadline in any deal. Simply because they are looking to get that piece(s) that will put them over the top. The price for a Cup (or, more specifically, a very serious, enhanced opportunity at the Cup) is overpayment of assets, of "futures".

That is why come every March, some on HF hyperventilate when a playoff hopeful gives away picks or futures for an aging vet. see: Roloson, March, 06.

See Witt.....

I'm quite aware of this overpayment thing, but if you look at the Colorado D-Corps Robyn Regehr would be a very very very nice addition - and I would love to have Jarrett Stoll instead of either Pierre Turgeon or Tyler Arnason in the Avs lineup.
This trade turned out to be bad.........but it could have worked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad