Whats the goalie split this year looking like?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think the reason it's slightly interesting is because the team with the absolutely super stud goalie who now has a questionable back injury is now starting a guy in Syracuse who's likely better than any other goalie they have in the system. Yeah, he's ours. But as Tampa gets 20 games in looking at their AHL team have better goaltending than the big club... maybe they'll get jealous and try to make a move.
which we will politely decline

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
which we will politely decline

Maybe, but like… depends on the price I guess.

I’m not sure on the general consensus of the boards but I think we’re still a long way away from any sort of proof of concept for Kochetkov as the goalie of the future. I like him and I think the contract is a good gamble but he’s far from untouchable.

Or, maybe a slightly different question, do we care about a goalie of the future at all? Since Rod Brind’Amour took over we are batting 1.000 when it comes to rando journeymen coming in and being relatively successful. Who’s the Freddie Andersen of the 2025 offseason? Maybe we just keep playing the game we’ve successfully played for the last 5 years and don’t care all that much about a “franchise” goalie anyway. If someone wants to give us something meaningful for him, I think we listen.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
yep, these guys with Vasi's injury and the Wolves were the two obvious candidates, and the Wolves not only burned their bridge with us but decided to piss on the f***ing ashes.
The Wolves can't be trusted to actually play Kochetkov anyway. They will sign some 28 year old AAAA starter who they can promote in the Chicago area, know he will be there all season, and play him regularly because he's "their guy."

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I’m not sure on the general consensus of the boards but I think we’re still a long way away from any sort of proof of concept for Kochetkov as the goalie of the future. I like him and I think the contract is a good gamble but he’s far from untouchable.

Or, maybe a slightly different question, do we care about a goalie of the future at all? Since Rod Brind’Amour took over we are batting 1.000 when it comes to rando journeymen coming in and being relatively successful. Who’s the Freddie Andersen of the 2025 offseason? Maybe we just keep playing the game we’ve successfully played for the last 5 years and don’t care all that much about a “franchise” goalie anyway. If someone wants to give us something meaningful for him, I think we listen.
It would need to be more than "something meaningful."

Worst-case scenario is Carolina has 3 years of locked in backup/1B goalie at $2M, which is a reasonable price. Raanta signed for $2M as a UFA, and I doubt they find another $2M goalie as good as Raanta (or Kochetkov) at that price. And with the cap going up, finding a veteran goalie who wants to play in a platoon and will sign for $2M will only get harder.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It would need to be more than "something meaningful."

Worst-case scenario is Carolina has 3 years of locked in backup/1B goalie at $2M, which is a reasonable price. Raanta signed for $2M as a UFA, and I doubt they find another $2M goalie as good as Raanta (or Kochetkov) at that price. And with the cap going up, finding a veteran goalie who wants to play in a platoon and will sign for $2M will only get harder.

Lol, tell me what you think I meant by “something meaningful” and then we can meaningfully proceed. I’m not saying trade him for a 3rd.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Lol, tell me what you think I meant by “something meaningful” and then we can meaningfully proceed. I’m not saying trade him for a 3rd.
More than Tampa's 2025 second or 2026 first, which are the next picks they have available in those rounds.

Hot take: I don't think I'd make the deal right now for the Tanner Jeannot return.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Andersen was a far, far cry from a "random journeyman". He was an established elite stud who had one bad year while still recovering from a severe knee injury, which led Toronto fans to act like he was Scott Darling or something. Undervalued when his contract expired so we picked him up, but he was a guy with one of the best pedigrees in the league. We got lucky that he was available off a down year, guys with that pedigree don't hit the market often. Otherwise we would have been rolling with Mrazek again, and while he's fun, it ain't the same.

And personally, I think we should run with Andersen until he's done. But we care about a goalie of the future because he's 34, and 'done' could be 35 or it could be 43, and we just don't know.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Andersen was a far, far cry from a "random journeyman". He was an established elite stud who had one bad year while still recovering from a severe knee injury, which led Toronto fans to act like he was Scott Darling or something. Undervalued when his contract expired so we picked him up, but he was a guy with one of the best pedigrees in the league. We got lucky that he was available off a down year, guys with that pedigree don't hit the market often. Otherwise we would have been rolling with Mrazek again, and while he's fun, it ain't the same.

And personally, I think we should run with Andersen until he's done. But we care about a goalie of the future because he's 34, and 'done' could be 35 or it could be 43, and we just don't know.

Agreed. But remember we signed Andersen right after we traded away our previous "goalie of the future" for a 3rd round pick. A quick look shows that 2025 is actually pretty ripe for UFA "Andersen-esque" goalies (Saros, Georgiev, Shesterkin, Ullmark, Thompson, Husso, Vanecek, Vejmelka, and others). Most will get re-signed, some will stink in 2 years, etc., but point is, the Canes have been pretty good at finding guys to cobble together an average-to-above-average goaltending corps.

(And also remember that aside from Andersen it's been Mrazek, McElhinney, Ned, Reimer, Raanta, and Kochetkov who've all been quality goaltenders for us with no misses under RBA. Heck, throw Ayres in there :sarcasm:)

Reactions: geehaad

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2