Speculation: What's the final roster look like to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For a bit it was Dewar vs. Duhaime, but it became clear that Duhaime had the inside edge and it looks like he'll be on the opening roster. I would expect Dewar to get a call up if there's an injury in the bottom 6. Maybe even the first call-up, but that depends on how he does in Iowa, too. I think, among bottom 6 call-up potentials, Bitten and Shaw are also interesting.
The thing about Dewar is that he can play C. Bitten and Shaw don't. Bitten is a good skater, but his skill level is a tier down from the other two. Shaw is funny...small guy, but aggressive, and not shy to go into traffic. Also has skill, and is quick rather than fast.

I thought that Dewar looked significantly better than Duhaime in the AHL last year, though they are completely different type players. Dewar looked more skilled, played faster, was a better skater, and just generally was able to do more things on the ice, though Duhaime was obviously more physical.

Iowa might have a fun team to watch this year.

Beckman- Rossi- Boldy:crossfing
Shaw - Dewar- Chaffee
Giroux- Khovanov- Bitten
Lodnia - Cramarossa- ?

That's some pretty good talent.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gaudreau is basically invisible in the offensive zone. He's 28 and played 19 games last year and only has 103 game total (18 points). I feel like he's just a plug to give the young guys more time, but every coach has a different philosophy in how to train up young players, so maybe they want him there just as a cheap filler.
I don't know why they just don't put Sturm with Fiala. He's a better offensive player than Gaudreau, in my limited viewings. Not saying Sturm is a great answer either, just a better one.

Seems to be a double standard. players like Merrill, Benn, Gaudreau, and now Pitlick are handed spots(with the latter two, top 6 spots!)while other players and prospects are told they have to "earn" them. Gaudreau and Pitlick have 20 NHL pts. between them, FFS.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickschultzfan

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The thing about Dewar is that he can play C. Bitten and Shaw don't. Bitten is a good skater, but his skill level is a tier down from the other two. Shaw is funny...small guy, but aggressive, and not shy to go into traffic. Also has skill, and is quick rather than fast.

I thought that Dewar looked significantly better than Duhaime in the AHL last year, though they are completely different type players. Dewar looked more skilled, played faster, was a better skater, and just generally was able to do more things on the ice, though Duhaime was obviously more physical.

Iowa might have a fun team to watch this year.

Beckman- Rossi- Boldy:crossfing
Shaw - Dewar- Chaffee
Giroux- Khovanov- Bitten
Lodnia - Cramarossa- ?

That's some pretty good talent.
Yeah, I agree on Dewar's upside. There's enough offense there that I can see them wanting to develop it further. In regards to Shaw, I just really hope he stays healthy. I think his development was thrown way off due to those injuries he's had, so whatever happens from here to him, I just hope injuries aren't a part of it.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I don't know why they just don't put Sturm with Fiala. He's a better offensive player than Gaudreau, in my limited viewings. Not saying Sturm is a great answer either, just a better one.

Seems to be a double standard. players like Merrill, Benn, Gaudreau, and now Pitlick are handed spots(with the latter two, top 6 spots!)while other players and prospects are told they have to "earn" them. Gaudreau and Pitlick have 20 NHL pts. between them, FFS.
I get the given top six debate, but what exactly is our top six? Fiala plays third line, so neither was given top six spot. Rossi Boldy and beckman are top six forwards that didn’t blow the doors off of Kap ek zucc or greenway Hartman Foligno. That is our top six even though yes Fiala is more talent than many of them. If you wanna debate the young kids vs pitlick and Freddy g sure we can but they are currently not occupying the spots this organization wants the higher end prospects playing.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I get the given top six debate, but what exactly is our top six? Fiala plays third line, so neither was given top six spot. Rossi Boldy and beckman are top six forwards that didn’t blow the doors off of Kap ek zucc or greenway Hartman Foligno. That is our top six even though yes Fiala is more talent than many of them. If you wanna debate the young kids vs pitlick and Freddy g sure we can but they are currently not occupying the spots this organization wants the higher end prospects playing.

That's how I see it too.
Right now I'd call our top 6
Kap-Ek-Zucc
Greenway-Hartman-Foligno

None of the prospects were going to supplant those guys right now...so it shouldn't be a bad thing to have them in Iowa.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's how I see it too.
Right now I'd call our top 6
Kap-Ek-Zucc
Greenway-Hartman-Foligno

None of the prospects were going to supplant those guys right now...so it shouldn't be a bad thing to have them in Iowa.

You can call the lines whatever you want, but none of Rossi, Boldy or Beckman were ever competing for a spot on the Greenway-Hartman-Foligno line. From the start, they were all competing for spots on Fiala's line. So you can't call that the third line and then say the prospects weren't ever going to be in the bottom six.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
If Fiala's line was going to be used as a top 6 line I'd agree...but I don't think it is. I think the plan was to have them in Iowa and you all can complain about what he said publicly...but having them in Iowa is likely the right call.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Fiala's line was going to be used as a top 6 line I'd agree...but I don't think it is. I think the plan was to have them in Iowa and you all can complain about what he said publicly...but having them in Iowa is likely the right call.

It doesn't matter how it's used, that's the line that had the openings for the kids. This has nothing to do with what the right call is or was, and everything to do with the facts of the situation. Rossi, Boldy and Beckman were competing for the spot(s) on Fiala's line. The Kaprizov-Eriksson Ek-Zuccarello line, and the Greenway-Hartman-Foligno lines were set from day 1 of camp. They were in separate groups at the start. The only times they were ever broken up was when they weren't all playing in the same game.

Meanwhile, the kids were tried in almost every other situation with whoever was left over after those six. if there was ever a plan for them to move onto one of those lines, they would have been tried on them at least once.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
It doesn't matter how it's used, that's the line that had the openings for the kids. This has nothing to do with what the right call is or was, and everything to do with the facts of the situation. Rossi, Boldy and Beckman were competing for the spot(s) on Fiala's line. The Kaprizov-Eriksson Ek-Zuccarello line, and the Greenway-Hartman-Foligno lines were set from day 1 of camp. They were in separate groups at the start. The only times they were ever broken up was when they weren't all playing in the same game.

Meanwhile, the kids were tried in almost every other situation with whoever was left over after those six. if there was ever a plan for them to move onto one of those lines, they would have been tried on them at least once.

And nowhere did I argue that. My entire point is they aren't going to be used in the top 6 IMO so putting them in Iowa isn't a bad move.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And nowhere did I argue that. My entire point is they aren't going to be used in the top 6 IMO so putting them in Iowa isn't a bad move.

The only reason Fiala's line isn't "top six" is because he's playing with AHL players, so your point is pretty moot. Had any of them been good enough to make the team there, that would be the "second line".

Reactions: TaLoN

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
There’s a lot more to playing in the NHL than offense. You need to play a smart 2 way game. Turnovers against top six players leads to pucks in the back of your net. Rossi, Beckman, Boldy, will be top 6 forwards. Just not this year.

Last edited:

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Unfortunate the young guys won’t make the team, but if they aren’t ready it’s the correct move. C’mon lottery pick.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

He also said this about Rossi, Beckman and Boldy... "Going to Iowa is nothing negative. We have a plan for these guys, they will be here someday".

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
So our centers to my knowledge are JEE, Gaudreau, Rask, and Sturm? Our 3rd D pair is going to be worse than Cole/Soucy I think, so to me this wild roster looks like a bottom 10/11 team on paper imo.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So our centers to my knowledge are JEE, Gaudreau, Rask, and Sturm? Our 3rd D pair is going to be worse than Cole/Soucy I think, so to me this wild roster looks like a bottom 10/11 team on paper imo.
Hartman instead of Rask

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If it makes you feel better, there's a fair possibility that this year's 2nd pair will be worse than Cole/Soucy as well.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
our wingers are centers by default, the C position is just a label simply for the inferior who don't understand how to properly field an all winger lineup.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

JEE, Gaudreau, Hartman and Sturm. I think. Rask I think is going to kick out to wing.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
JEE, Gaudreau, Hartman and Sturm. I think. Rask I think is going to kick out to wing.
IMO Rask and Pitlick will switch at the 13th forward.. I don't think we have seen the end of Rask though because with one year left they probably want to see if they can get something for him before the deadline. If after the deadline he hasn't been dealt to a blind eye, or there are no injury/call ups, I can see them putting him on waivers at that point.

Reactions: keppel146
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad