What's the correlation between hockey IQ and real life IQ?

What's the correlation between hockey IQ and real life IQ?

• Total voters

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
Saw an interview with Marner when he was with the Knights and he didn't know how many provinces there were in Canada and thought the population of London Ontario (where he played!!!) was 30,000... maybe not the greatest measures of general IQ but like come on dude

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
If you're a vegetable in real life then you cannot have a high hockey IQ.

I think you can be way below average IQ and still instinctually understand the game well and have a high hockey IQ. I think there's some correlation, but not much.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As an Islanders fan Tavares never struck me as the sharpest knife in the drawer in his interviews but his on ice hockey IQ is off the charts

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Voted 0%. I don't know enough about too many hockey players intelligence-wise off the ice. But in the NFL, Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard but was one of the dumbest on field QBs I've seen play. Horrible reads and horrible decision making. No reason to think it's not similar in a different sport.

Also, the guy above me has a good example - Parros went to Princeton but certainly wasn't any McDavid in terms of hockey IQ

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Zach Hyman writes children’s books in his off time, is a rl gud pro and a rl gud family man

That’s gotta count for something... right?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Saw an interview with Marner when he was with the Knights and he didn't know how many provinces there were in Canada and thought the population of London Ontario (where he played!!!) was 30,000... maybe not the greatest measures of general IQ but like come on dude

lol, he was the first guy I thought of when I saw the thread. Love Mitch but I think he would have a wide range between hockey IQ and "real life" IQ.

I don't really think there's much correlation between hockey sense and what we view as traditional intelligence.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think it's very close to 0%. There's just not much correlation. Knowing a lot about math or history or whatever 'book smart' type stuff doesn't help you in the game of hockey when you're on the ice thinking quick. It's a game that you either understand how to succeed at or you don't.

A good player example here is Jaden Schwartz. Very high hockey IQ, great all-around player. Does everything right. But apparently he's real-life dumb lol, and his teammates have said as much. Someone (I think maybe Burnside or LeBrun? I forget) actually wrote an article on him and touched on this subject. His teammates love him but were giving quotes and laughing about some of the things he asks them and they're just like "...are you serious?" For example, this was included in the article, he asked if Billy Joel used to play for the Rangers when they were at MSG.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Only way I can see high IQ benefiting your play would be if you have strong STEM skills(especially physics). Being an A++++ English major won't do much for your game, other then maybe make you great at dishing out insults.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Not much but its you can not be a Forrest Gump irl and be Gretzky on the ice. Somewhat 30-40% correlation would be close

Reactions: MC2D

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I was gonna say 0% but the Forrest Gump point above kind of made me change my mind. If youre diagnosed with a mental handicap that affects your IQ in a way that youre, just throwing a number out there, in the bottom 1%, then your hockey IQ would maybe be kind of low.

Im not an expert on these things so my mind is open to be changed.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It depends on what specific IQ you have. For example if you're mathematically intelligent, it helps you on the ice, but you won't be as good as a guy with high spatial intellect even if you have an overall higher IQ in real life.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There is no correlation whatsoever. I have seen it all through multiple kids in minor hockey and it just doesn't follow any pattern I can discern. Maybe I have low IQ though.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Real life iq isn't determined by how much knowledge you have in your brain, but the ability to understand how things and the world work. I would imagine they are very similar. Some people naturally have hockey sense and others don't, but the ability to recognize what your natural instincts tell you (natural hockey sense) and what good hockey sense is, is impressive.

Reactions: SvechniCanesCup2019

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Depends on what you consider IQ. I'd say that what correlates is what we might call "common sense". And that's completely different from academic knowledge. A person can be terrible at school but still have great thoughts, ideas and opinions on things. What's important is being able to anticipate the flow of the game intuitively and being able to foresee the consequences of actions.

Some usual picture puzzle IQ test? 0 correlation.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not much but its you can not be a Forrest Gump irl and be Gretzky on the ice. Somewhat 30-40% correlation would be close
I think this is fair.

I know Kreider is something of a nerd off ice and has very solid hockey IQ, but so is Tanner Glass and him not so much.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Zach Hyman writes children’s books in his off time, is a rl gud pro and a rl gud family man

That’s gotta count for something... right?

Anybody could write Children’s books in there spare time... If he where writing novels this would be a different story.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Not only is it not the greatest measure it has nothing to do with it at all. Those are simple facts you figure he would know but maybe he just doesn't care?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Real life iq isn't determined by how much knowledge you have in your brain, but the ability to understand how things and the world work. I would imagine they are very similar. Some people naturally have hockey sense and others don't, but the ability to recognize what your natural instincts tell you (natural hockey sense) and what good hockey sense is, is impressive.

This is what I was thinking. I would also bet the IQs of McDavid, Crosby, Gretzky, Lemieux etc. are not below average. I could be wrong, but I somehow doubt it. The few examples in this thread so far given about players being dumb also have nothing to do with IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad