What's the correlation between hockey IQ and real life IQ?

What's the correlation between hockey IQ and real life IQ?

• Total voters

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Depends on what you consider IQ. I'd say that what correlates is what we might call "common sense". And that's completely different from academic knowledge. A person can be terrible at school but still have great thoughts, ideas and opinions on things. What's important is being able to anticipate the flow of the game intuitively and being able to foresee the consequences of actions.

Some usual picture puzzle IQ test? 0 correlation.

There is a level intelligence involved in being one of the smartest hockey players on the ice, that much is certain. How much it relates to your overall IQ is debatable, probably not too much but I'm guessing it's more much more than 0% as many are saying here.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
IQ tests focus on reading comprehension (which is a part of the test that gets scrutiny because topics covered have historically been more familiar to certain race/class groups making the “comprehension” part easier) and math. Those are a very small subset of human intelligence. No correlation and IQ in general is a crap metric.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hockey IQ is more intuitive reactive ability, this is very different than real life intellect that requires contemplation and logical reasoning.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
I kind of think hockey IQ is partly intelligence and also partly composure/emotional maturity. If a player is easily frustrated then they'll often force plays that arent there. I think keeping a level head is a big part of playing smart hockey.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's not 0%. Can't believe that's winning

You have to be smart/intelligent to be able to process the game like a Gretzky, or Crosby even.
But it's not a ton - i'd say 20% is fine.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Here's the thing. Basically no hockey players have any intelligence, but if a buff nerd put 10 000 hours into getting good at hockey they'd dominate

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not much but its you can not be a Forrest Gump irl and be Gretzky on the ice. Somewhat 30-40% correlation would be close

Maybe but you can be a C student and a hockey allstar....I know plenty.

Basic brain function, that's all you need.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Here's the thing. Basically no hockey players have any intelligence, but if a buff nerd put 10 000 hours into getting good at hockey they'd dominate

Assuming he has the physical abilities. Most do not.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Probably 0%. Plenty of sportsmen from other sports who are described as geniuses (like Maradona) are complete morons off the pitch. Then you have really academically gifted guys like Dougie Hamilton who consistenly make horrifically dumb plays. The decision making speed needed in sports has to be almost instinctual, so careful analytical thinking to solve problems won't be of much use.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
This is what I was thinking. I would also bet the IQs of McDavid, Crosby, Gretzky, Lemieux etc. are not below average. I could be wrong, but I somehow doubt it. The few examples in this thread so far given about players being dumb also have nothing to do with IQ.

its been a few years, but if I remember correctly McDavid was scholastic player of the year every year he was in the OHL. Before him it was actually Darnell Nurse. Could be remembering that wrong though.

Edit: McDavid 13-14 and 14-15 CHL scholastic player, Nurse 12-13 OHL.

The more I look at the winners the more it makes me think its just pure effort and Hard work.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Some NHL stars are smart like Mcdavid, Toews. Other guys who didn't even graduate high school are good hockey players. It varies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Maybe but you can be a C student and a hockey allstar....I know plenty.

Basic brain function, that's all you need.

How well you do in school is not directly related to your IQ though, there are many other factors involved. Many people have problems focusing (especially on things they don't care for) or completing tasks but are actually very smart.

Reactions: wintersej

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I haven’t met an off ice dumb ass that was a genius on the ice.

I’ve played with some dumb guys that were good hockey players, but I wouldn’t say they had good hockey IQ

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I haven’t met an off ice dumb ass that was a genius on the ice.

I’ve played with some dumb guys that were good hockey players, but I wouldn’t say they had good hockey IQ

Same here.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
How well you do in school is not directly related to your IQ though, there are many other factors involved. Many people have problems focusing (especially on things they don't care for) or completing tasks but are actually very smart.

For most people it does, that's why school is being used as a measurement for advances in life.

There maybe a few odd balls but if you flunked school, you are probably not very smart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad