What's the chances Ehlers re-signs in Winnipeg?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Honestly, there are so many dinosaur coaches in this league. Authorities (e.g. coaches) are not always right, I mean we would not be able to have discussions on this board, if we always agreed with the coaches.

Also, I don't mind the team losing, if they play the right way and put in an effort. Likewise, we can notice patterns/things that are unsustainable when winning.
I'm curious what your hockey background is since you seem to claim to know something that a guy who has been behind an NHL bench for upwards of 40 years doesn't

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There should be a rule instituted on this board that you are not allowed question other posters about "what are their professional hockey coaching credentials" or "why they are not an NHL coach" or "what qualifications do you have that make you confident in questioning a coach with 40 years of experience". :laugh: This is a hockey discussion board, not a resume critique workshop :laugh:

Reactions: Bigfish and hn777

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The Jets are statistically one of the top defensive teams in the NHL, across a large number of measures. How is that "rotten" by everyone but Ehlers?

I meant in terms of staying on for longer shifts. Rotten up probably too strong a word. Obviously a coach will never say to take longer shifts. Some players who are gifted take it upon themselves to bend the coach-to-player rules. There are certain things my boss cannot teach me officially and there is this unspoken understanding of tricks and tools of the trade you need to figure out you by yourself . I was pointing to the irony of Ehlers perhaps being " too nice "with respect to that aspect.

Didn't mean to imply the team as a whole is rotten.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There should be a rule instituted on this board that you are not allowed question other posters about "what are their professional hockey coaching credentials" or "why they are not an NHL coach" or "what qualifications do you have that make you confident in questioning a coach with 40 years of experience". :laugh: This is a hockey discussion board, not a resume critique workshop :laugh:
Totally agree and we should make 1 more rule that everyone should try and enjoy the season we are having a little more considering we are 5th in the entire NHL in winning % Lets start really getting bitter if we start losing.:laugh:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
A person waives their protection under that rule the moment they refer to a coach as a dinosaur, etc IMHO... to make it sound like a poster on here has more knowledge or insight than someone who's been behind an NHL bench in one capacity or another for 40 years is laughable

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Resigns in Winnipeg... Idk tough to say. 5-10 years from when he retires

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
:naughty:Another very good interview with Murat .

But do these guys have north of 40 years of experience behind an NHL bench?
Seriously, thank you for posting this, some very interesting insights into the dynamics between Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele, and Bowness.

Reactions: Jets 31

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
What about your and you're and there their they're?
Their-there now…
We’re all here-hear on this I think.
Good year to shoot for the cup as well, as many of us feel, that alone could stand alone for a lot of players going through any stretch of turbulence.
In ‘62 I had a moose surface on the he Little Whiteshell without checking her periscope first and send myself, another Boy Scout and our 110 lb Peterborough airborne. We all paddled on. Life is always good for a few laughs.
Nik seems to always paddle forwards.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Another very good interview with Murat .

I thought it was bad.
Mentioning the first line getting most of their points on the PP and after the Jets went 1-31 on the PPs like it’s a bad.
Questioning the coaches decides about line play when he didn’t even know the story behind Ehlers.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I agree -
There should also be a rule that posters are limited to 12 posts in a single thread that state the same opinion just worded differently.
There is no reason to think that we didn't catch the point the first 11 times - and one more won't change anyone's mind :thumbu:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I agree -
There should also be a rule that posters are limited to 12 posts in a single thread that state the same opinion just worded differently.
There is no reason to think that we didn't catch the point the first 11 times - and one more won't change anyone's mind :thumbu:
So you don't think we should trade for Konecny? Is that what Im hearing.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
And pray tell, what are your credentials for deciding what rules should be instituted on this board? :D

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
I thought it was bad.
Mentioning the first line getting most of their points on the PP and after the Jets went 1-31 on the PPs like it’s a bad.
Questioning the coaches decides about line play when he didn’t even know the story behind Ehlers.
what are you watching

and smoking for that matter

yikes

Reactions: hn777

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm curious what your hockey background is since you seem to claim to know something that a guy who has been behind an NHL bench for upwards of 40 years doesn't
What if I told you about a man with a long and storied hockey background? Won multiple Stanley Cups as a stay-at-home, meat and potatoes defenseman and then transitioned into coaching with about 2 decades of experience behind the bench. Who here wouldn't defer to the defensive acumen of this titan of hockey knowledge and experience? That man's name is Charlie Huddy... rightly fired after more than a decade of subpar defensive result here.

Also, I'm not sure the best response to "Bones is a dinosaur!" is "He's been coaching since the 80s!" :laugh:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What if I told you about a man with a long and storied hockey background? Won multiple Stanley Cups as a stay-at-home, meat and potatoes defenseman and then transitioned into coaching with about 2 decades of experience behind the bench. Who here wouldn't defer to the defensive acumen of this titan of hockey knowledge and experience? That man's name is Charlie Huddy... rightly fired after more than a decade of subpar defensive result here.

Also, I'm not sure the best response to "Bones is a dinosaur!" is "He's been coaching since the 80s!" :laugh:
My coach in college was a former NHLer in the 70s and 80s. Looking back, I kinda chuckle at all my teammates who questioned his practices as they seemed "old school" at best, and "antiquiated" at worst

The funny thing is that the guy understood the game on a level that none of us ever possibly could. Not the xs and os, per se... but how it worked and flowed, etc.

There is a place for dinosaurs and their opinion in the game today, as long as they're balanced by some of rhe new fangled stats all yall are referring to. I think TNSE does a decent job at juggling the two.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don’t really buy the Ehlers is unhappy angle as there has never even been a hint of this. He has always seemed to be happy in his role as the guy who is able to drive offence away from the top center as needed. Ehlers not needing a #1 center to drive his line makes us a better team and I think he knows that and embraces it. Not that I don’t think he can be given a few more minutes here and there. My guess is he re-signs this summer at 7 X $7.75 M.

Ehlers looks like a kid having the time of his life out there sometimes.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I see if my usage gets better next season, whoever the coach is.
I am also waiting for the contract offer for my next deal - are the Jets serious with me, are they willing to offer 8+m longterm on the next deal?
If not, I move on and sign a one year show-me-deal on another contender, where I am trusted continuously with topline minutes (and will produce as I always have when given the opportunity).

Why would you sign a 1 year deal? Show me? You has been showing it for years. You get to choose among a dozen 7 year offers.

What about your and you're and there their they're?

Quite

and quiet and quit.:laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If there is a legit shot at winning the cup, I’d imagine he stays. If we flame out this year and have an underwhelming season next year, it could roll the other way.

Ultimately, I’d imagine Bowness retires after this year given his wife’s health issues with the likelihood that Arniel is the next guy. Perhaps usage changes.

You also have a guy like him in Lambert coming which is going to be a much cheaper cap hit.

I don't think there is a next year if he is not signed this off-season. He will be extended or traded before playing to UFA. Chevy is not going to risk him walking.

A lot may depend on the rest of this season and PO.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Why would you sign a 1 year deal? Show me? You has been showing it for years. You get to choose among a dozen 7 year offers.

Just to be able to play topline all season and thus be able to be ppg over 82 games 😁
Then I can cash in on a longterm deal the next season.
No actually, I don't think I/Ehlers care so much about the money.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Just to be able to play topline all season and thus be able to be ppg over 82 games 😁
Then I can cash in on a longterm deal the next season.
No actually, I don't think I/Ehlers care so much about the money.
and pray that you stay healthy.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad