What's the chances Ehlers re-signs in Winnipeg?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don’t really buy the Ehlers is unhappy angle as there has never even been a hint of this. He has always seemed to be happy in his role as the guy who is able to drive offence away from the top center as needed. Ehlers not needing a #1 center to drive his line makes us a better team and I think he knows that and embraces it. Not that I don’t think he can be given a few more minutes here and there. My guess is he re-signs this summer at 7 X $7.75 M.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
When I was a lad, Double Dutch was really a thing. My sisters used to spend hours trying to improve their double unders. No wonder they were so fit.
Double dutch.
Dutch oven.
Dutch treat.
Dutch auction.
Dutch courage.
Dutch widow.
Dutch act.

How did the people of Holland get so many pejorative phrases associated with them?

m.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Double dutch.
Dutch oven.
Dutch treat.
Dutch auction.
Dutch courage.
Dutch widow.
Dutch act.

How did the people of Holland get so many pejorative phrases associated with them?

m.
Many of these terms -- and by no means all of them -- were a result of my countrymen in the 1500-1600 period going into Europe and discovering new traditions and cultural oddities and social rules. Since these things were obviously not British, they were labelled by the region in which the visitors found them. Since the 'visitors' were often invading soldiers, the terms --like dutch widow and dutch courage -- had really negative conotations.

What the hell all this has to do with Ehlers beats me but I'm only on my second coffee of the morning.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You are Nikolaj Ehlers. What do you do?
This is garbage.

First of all, you're not asking a question, you're on a soapbox being salty about shit you have no idea about.

We all do this, project our feelings on a situation, but this is next level.

First of all, toi: every coach has used him the same, AND, I see 27 leaving the ice early quite often, on his own accord. That is a interesting piece of evidence.

It tells me that Nik himself is managing his ice time down. He surely knows his body more than others and it reaffirms the suspicion I and others have had, which is Nik has a toi sweet spot, and is venture to guess that Ehlers is not unhappy with toi.

Another issue that him exiting the ice early creates is if he's playing with 55 and 81 that is going to f*** up the lines as it would be cumulative and cause other wingers to overplay and maybe even be ready to come off when their linemates get on the ice.

Second: being a good soldier and complying. Nik has not done this. He continually plays a style that is counter to what his coaches and teammates say is the way the team wants to play.

Yes, he's dynamic and exciting as f***, but it's a team sport and oftentimes Ehlers is marching to his own drum out there. Highly skilled players on this team manage to play the prescribed way and create plenty of offense, because they've learned how to use their skill within the parameters that the team has defined. Nik either can't, or won't do that.

moving to eye test, who's eye test? My eye test sees a guy who can be exhilarating and maddening at the same time. He'll do 4 amazing things and then throw the puck away. Probably because he's playing his own game or there some nights.

As for his pay, he signed the contracts and he is paid based on production and performance. Having fancy stats that are suspect at best and don't convert into hard tangible numbers is a pretty flimsy argument.

I'm not going to do a comparison but id bet Ehlers is paid in line with his production.

If I did my job in a way contrary to what my organization wanted and used sus metrics to try and get a raise, or wouldn't go over well. My bosses would use the measures that the industry uses and company has defined to determine my compensation.

Finally, does he re-sign? I sure hope so because outside of my frustrations with him, he's a great guy, I bet a great team mate, and so fun to watch when he's on.

However, if he wants more than he's worth, or feels disrespected here (I don't think that's the case at all) then he should move on. We can get a nice asset for him and start to incorporate some of our similar talent waiting to break in.

I'm sure you ignored this post but I figured since you went on a rant so would I 🤪

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Does Ehlers resign? I doubt it … that would be leaving a lot of money on the table. I’m not up on all the ins-and-outs of whether a player can unilaterally walk away from his contract and then sign with another team. I don’t think they can.

Does Ehlers re-sign? I think it’s likely. OP’s salty rant notwithstanding, Ehlers seems happy. I think he’s heavily overrated by some here — which isn’t to say he’s bad by any means.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This is garbage.

First of all, you're not asking a question, you're on a soapbox being salty about shit you have no idea about.

First of all, toi: every coach has used him the same, AND, I see 27 leaving the ice early quite often, on his own accord. That is a interesting piece of evidence.

It tells me that Nik himself is managing his ice time down. He surely knows his body more than others and it reaffirms the suspicion I and others have had, which is Nik has a toi sweet spot, and is venture to guess that Ehlers is not unhappy with toi.

Another issue that him exiting the ice early creates is if he's playing with 55 and 81 that is going to f*** up the lines as it would be cumulative and cause other wingers to overplay and maybe even be ready to come off when their linemates get off the ice.

Second: being a good soldier and complying. Nik has not done this. He continually plays a style that is counter to what his coaches and teammates say is the way the team wants to play.

Yes, he's dynamic and exciting as f***, but it's a team sport and oftentimes Ehlers is marching to his own drum out there. Highly skilled players on this team manage to play the prescribed way and create plenty of offense, because they've learned how to use their skill within the parameters that the team has defined. Nik either can't, or won't do that.

moving to eye test, who's eye test? My eye test sees a guy who can be exhilarating and maddening at the same time. He'll do 4 amazing things and then throw the puck away. Probably because he's playing his own game or there some nights.

As for his pay, he signed the contracts and he is paid based on production and performance. Having fancy stats that are suspect at best and don't convert into hard tangible numbers is a pretty flimsy argument.

I'm not going to do a comparison but id bet Ehlers is paid in line with his production.

If I did my job in a way contrary to what my organization wanted and used sus metrics to try and get a raise, or wouldn't go over well. My bosses would use the measures that the industry uses and company has defined to determine my compensation.

Finally, does he re-sign? I sure hope so because outside of my frustrations with him, he's a great guy, I bet a great team mate, and so fun to watch when he's on.

However, if he wants more than he's worth, or feels disrespected here (I don't think that's the case at all) then he should move on. We can get a nice asset for him and start to incorporate some of our similar talent waiting to break in.

I'm sure you ignored this post but I figured since you went on a rant so would I 🤪
I just put up a Iron man gif , this is way better.:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Jet

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Does Ehlers resign? I doubt it … that would be leaving a lot of money on the table. I’m not up on all the ins-and-outs of whether a player can unilaterally walk away from his contract and then sign with another team. I don’t think they can.

Does Ehlers re-sign? I think it’s likely. OP’s salty rant notwithstanding, Ehlers seems happy. I think he’s heavily overrated by some here — which isn’t to say he’s bad by any means.
It's probably been posted, but he can walk away on July 1 2025.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
This is garbage.

Another issue that him exiting the ice early creates is if he's playing with 55 and 81 that is going to f*** up the lines as it would be cumulative and cause other wingers to overplay and maybe even be ready to come off when their linemates get off the ice.

He's significantly overpaid in my opinion. 6.75 for a guy who puts up 40-50 points per season. That looks worse than the Schmidt or Pionk deals.

Reactions: Jetland162702

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't even have faith in this organization that they are even gonna offer him a long term contract or consider him part of a long term solution the way they are utilizing. Unless one or two of the younger forwards really develop into impact players, I fear the Jets are in for the same thing that happened with D after 2019 happening up front esp as 55 is going to be in decline in a few years and if the organization is expecting Connor to carry the mail for them they are kidding themselves.

Reactions: Bigfish and hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He's significantly overpaid in my opinion. 6.75 for a guy who puts up 40-50 points per season. That looks worse than the Schmidt or Pionk deals.
I don't know, I think he does provide some intangibles - I think he's paid appropriately. He does need to score more to really pull full value out of that contract though

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
What the hell all this has to do with Ehlers beats me but I'm only on my second coffee of the morning.
Yeah, my haters are going to complain again that I've hijacked/ruined another thread.

Dutch rudder.
I've just spent several minutes in Wikipedia reading up on dutch rudders.

The things you can learn on HFJets are fascinating!

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, my haters are going to complain again that I've hijacked/ruined another thread.

I've just spent several minutes in Wikipedia reading up on dutch rudders.

The things you can learn on HFJets are fascinating!
Yup, googled it. Read definition at urban slang. Regretted it. Three step process.

My source tells me that he’ll re-sign with the Jets without testing the FA market.

m.

Reactions: TS Quint

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Yup, googled it. Read definition at urban slang. Regretted it. Three step process.

My source tells me that he’ll re-sign with the Jets without testing the FA market.

m.
You can perhaps ameliorate your regrets by looking at the article in Wikipedia that I was referencing.

Not everything in life has to be dirty.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Ehlers leaves the ice on time after a shift because he's an honorable man who plays by the rules. The rules in this case have been established by his coaches -- play your 40 seconds (or thereabouts) and get off the ice so the next line can take over. Prima donnas disregard that instruction, Ehlers does not. It has nothing to do with the kind of new-age gobbledygook that you "suspect." His strict adherence to shift changes has probably been drummed into him his whole life by his father, also a coach. And so he does it religiously, almost unconsciously. He's not "managing his ice time down," he's doing what his coach wants. If the requirement was 60 seconds instead of 40, he'd be "managing his ice time" with 60-second shifts, and he'd know damn well he'd be capable of excelling at that level just as he is at 40 seconds.

Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm not a stats guy, but I heard the argument that Ehlers takes as many shifts as others in the top 6. Not total time on ice, but the quantity of shifts. So bones calls his name to get out there on a frequency that's on par with others around him. . Bones has mentioned this. So it would seem to me his ice time is less as a whole because Ehlers himself takes shorter shifts. If so, doesn't this take the wind off the sails on the " under utilized" viewpoint?

I'm I missing something here?

Edit: It seems I'm not the only one in this thread to bring this up

Last edited:
Reactions: TS Quint and ERYX

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Double dutch.
Dutch oven.
Dutch treat.
Dutch auction.
Dutch courage.
Dutch widow.
Dutch act.

m.
Don't forget Dirty Sanchez.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Ehlers leaves the ice on time after a shift because he's an honorable man who plays by the rules. The rules in this case have been established by his coaches -- play your 40 seconds (or thereabouts) and get off the ice so the next line can take over. Prima donnas disregard that instruction, Ehlers does not. It has nothing to do with the kind of new-age gobbledygook that you "suspect." His strict adherence to shift changes has probably been drummed into him his whole life by his father, also a coach. And so he does it religiously, almost unconsciously. He's not "managing his ice time down," he's doing what his coach wants. If the requirement was 60 seconds instead of 40, he'd be "managing his ice time" with 60-second shifts, and he'd know damn well he'd be capable of excelling at that level just as he is at 40 seconds.

I don’t necessary see it this way but lets say I did.. Playing efficient. short shifts is something that is preached by hockey coaches in all levels. So your issue cannot be with Bones, or the Jets staff if what they are preaching is something that is a basic principle from all hockey coaches. Theres no way Bones will say, “you need to linger on the ice more”. Even if it’s the truth. You cannot be seeing to advertise that trait to him or the rest of the team.

Isn’t this something that Ehlers himself needs to do and can do by himself?

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know, I think he does provide some intangibles - I think he's paid appropriately. He does need to score more to really pull full value out of that contract though
Intangibles like the Jets doing way better when Ehlers is on the ice vs. when he's not?

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
This is garbage.

Another issue that him exiting the ice early creates is if he's playing with 55 and 81 that is going to f*** up the lines as it would be cumulative and cause other wingers to overplay and maybe even be ready to come off when their linemates get on the ice.

I like your rant but this can be summed up with some self reflection that Nik , may or may not care to do, which is why is this the THIRD coach that seems to have issues with my play (at times ) and what can I do to change it??

I doubt any coach ( maybe torts) can ever take the ' east, west, Wyllie coyote" style of play out of him, which means management may make the decision about Ehlers before he has a chance to walk or negotiate a new contract.

Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad