Transfer: What's the best January signing ever?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah I was trying to find that but gave up. Figured someone else had seen it. It’s a pretty grim list (as of now)

Of that list I will say only one is a clear cut success. A good arguement can be made for pogba. The rest are either too soon to tell or complete failures

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Of that list I will say only one is a clear cut success. A good arguement can be made for pogba. The rest are either too soon to tell or complete failures

I mean either way it says a lot that the second best transfer on this list MIGHT be Pogba, who was largely hated over his tenure for underachieving

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004

Wow United has 5 of the 10 most expensive signings ever. Kind of hard to believe

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Was Neymar a success? Without the CL I dont think so tbh. There's also no resale value.
Yes he's a success. He brought tons of spotlight and sponsors to PSG. He has overall been a great player. PSG reached its first CL final.
That CL final was lost 1-0 after Mbappe missed a sitter in a tight game. I don't think that single missed strike by Mbappe defines Neymar's success or not.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think he's being sarcastic.... what's more surprising is LFC having jjust as many as City.
Makes sense - sorry @mmk786 if my sarcasm detector was turned off .

not surprised LFC on there compared to City, but only one of those teams would prominently on the top sales list. The net spend gods must be appeased

City don’t have a ton of like MEGA transfers. What they do have in is a ton of volume in that 40-60m range. That’s where they clean up

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yes he's a success. He brought tons of spotlight and sponsors to PSG. He has overall been a great player. PSG reached its first CL final.
That CL final was lost 1-0 after Mbappe missed a sitter in a tight game. I don't think that single missed strike by Mbappe defines Neymar's success or not.
I could see the argument but Mbappe brought that spotlight/sponsors. Regardless of him being a great player or not the objective was to win the CL. So far they havent done so. In footballing terms I could see the arguement for both sides.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am sorry I cannot say Neymar to PSG is a success. Even today no transfer has even come close to the amount PSG paid for him. If they had insane european wins maybe a case could be made but for me this is a failure and it overinflated in transfer market that year too.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Makes sense - sorry @mmk786 if my sarcasm detector was turned off .

not surprised LFC on there compared to City, but only one of those teams would prominently on the top sales list. The net spend gods must be appeased

City don’t have a ton of like MEGA transfers. What they do have in is a ton of volume in that 40-60m range. That’s where they clean up
Thats okay.
Shouldnt Nunez be on that list? Didnt he go for close to 100?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Thats okay.
Shouldnt Nunez be on that list? Didnt he go for close to 100?
Maybe? I think it was only like 65ish upfront though. Rest is bonus/add-ons, not sure if that’s accounted for or not

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Was Neymar a success? Without the CL I dont think so tbh. There's also no resale value.
If we are accounting for the commercial aspect, I would say that the response to that question would be much more favorable.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
So he's a Mbappe blunder away from being a success?
Lol.

He cost 200M+€
Has missed several games in each season. Has not won the CL that PSG bought him for. And his stats have been good but not unreal considering the cost and the league he plays.

Not a bad signing compared to most in the rank which are insane but not a slam dunk success, for sure

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He cost 200M+€
Has missed several games in each season. Has not won the CL that PSG bought him for. And his stats have been good but not unreal considering the cost and the league he plays.

Not a bad signing compared to most in the rank which are insane but not a slam dunk success, for sure
Ya, that's how I see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad