Transfer: What's the best January signing ever?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Simple question to end of another January window. Curious to hear from people.

Some that immediately came to mind.

Suarez to Liverpool
Vidic to United
Laporte to City
Bruno to United.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
more silverware and more longevity than Suarez. And changed the culture

For Liverpool.

Liverpool have always done well in the January window yet every year they pretend like doing business in January is like having the plague. We suck.
Could be worse you could do nothing then last moment talk about doing something totally stupid to f*** with your fans. Then go out and do something that’s diffeent but still stupid but somehow even stupidly fail at that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Could be worse you could do nothing then last moment talk about doing something totally stupid to f*** with your fans. Then go out and do something that’s diffeent but still stupid but somehow even stupidly fail at that.
I don’t know man. This feels bad man. Ignoring your weakness for two consecutive windows and then watching a rival spend more money in one window than Michael Edwards spend combined? It’s rough. Waiving the white flag on this season while all the eggs are in the basket for making a 150m transfer work in the summer? Feels bad man.

I could write a book on this. It’s ridiculous what has happened to my team. It’s all self-inflicted. They had it all and they gave it away

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Interesting that Liverpool fans say Virgil over Suarez - I get that VVD was the lynchpin of a UCL winner while Suarez didn't win anything at Liverpool, but Suarez's 2013-14 is IMO the greatest individual season in EPL history AND I don't think Klopp-era Liverpool and all the accompanying success happens without Suarez's time there.

For Chelsea, Nemanja Matic jumps to mind. I have fond, fond memories of Chelsea-Man City in Jan/Feb 2014 (I think it was his first game for us, but I could be misremembering) and him and David Luiz (another January signing, FWIW) absolutely bossing the midfield.

Funnily enough, given what just happened this month, Chelsea have been quiet in January for the past bunch of years. This insane spending spree has been our first January signings since we brought in Giroud, Emerson, and Barkley in 2018 (I'm not counting Pulisic in 2019 because he didn't join until the summer).

EDIT: looked it up, it was Matic's first start, not his first game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peen

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In order I'd probably go Suarez, VvD, Vidic as the clear top 3. Than Bruno and Evra for 3rd and 4th. Than either Matic or Coutinnho in 5th.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
why would it be! fill your boots with transfers from elsewhere.

only big one i can think of is that Marcelo was a January signing when he first came to Madrid as a kiddo.
He came to mind and its probably the best, based on longevity, trophies and becoming a captain.

Higuain is another top one.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Bruno and here's why :
he (and other factors sure, but himself being a huge one) completely turned around Newcastle's season.

Reactions: robertmac43

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Interesting that Liverpool fans say Virgil over Suarez - I get that VVD was the lynchpin of a UCL winner while Suarez didn't win anything at Liverpool, but Suarez's 2013-14 is IMO the greatest individual season in EPL history AND I don't think Klopp-era Liverpool and all the accompanying success happens without Suarez's time there.

For Chelsea, Nemanja Matic jumps to mind. I have fond, fond memories of Chelsea-Man City in Jan/Feb 2014 (I think it was his first game for us, but I could be misremembering) and him and David Luiz (another January signing, FWIW) absolutely bossing the midfield.

Funnily enough, given what just happened this month, Chelsea have been quiet in January for the past bunch of years. This insane spending spree has been our first January signings since we brought in Giroud, Emerson, and Barkley in 2018 (I'm not counting Pulisic in 2019 because he didn't join until the summer).

Ivanovic is another. Cahill was a great bargain.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I think most LFC fans would say Virgil.

If you look at the names on this list, there are great players that didn’t win silverware and there are players that brought silverware to teams that were already winning it.

Virgil brought silverware to a team that wasn’t winning it and has been team of the season every healthy season at LFC, including two BDO caliber seasons. It’s him

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think most LFC fans would say Virgil.

If you look at the names on this list, there are great players that didn’t win silverware and there are players that brought silverware to teams that were already winning it.

Virgil brought silverware to a team that wasn’t winning it and has been team of the season every healthy season at LFC, including two BDO caliber seasons. It’s him
They are also many factors.
The fact LFC were leaking goals left and right and he came in and he stopped that. In term of influence you cannot ask for a better player.
Also Suarez was arguably the best forward ever at LFC but his legacy was tainted with his antic and the fact he did not win a major trophy.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah I would also say VVD, we won everything because we signed him. There were also major questionmarks people had about the price at the time and for whatever reason that makes it feel better too. Almost everyone would also say he was one of the best players of the last ten years, easily without doubt.

Only reason we weren't talking about him five years before we started talking about him was because his youth coaches were absolute morons. One of them told him to go get a job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad