Whats the argument that Sweden still is a hockey-power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Wow, this thread is still alive and going! So I’ll add another pointless post to the collection. This one 😀.

Reactions: Elvs

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Do you remember how many points McDavid, Marchand, MacKinnon, Crosby, Gaudreau, Stamkos, Marner, Point, Wheeler, Tavares, and Sciefele had for Canada in that tournament? They must have absolutely tore it up.
Sweden had Bratt and Kempe on the fourth line.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Sweden could just be in a down period, Canada had a similar period from 2010-2014 at the WC where we didn't even win a single medal which is a bizarre and crisis level situation for a country like Canada. But of course it all quickly changed.

This can be compared to Sweden is which is currently in a medal drought at the WC from 2019 to 2023 so far, well see if Sweden can pull out of it. I think Sweden still has the talent to be considered a hockey power. I wouldn't be surprised if I checked the score one day and I saw that Sweden beat Canada in a game for example.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
If the nhl were in the Olympics what would swedens roster be? I feel like they’d be pretty equal with Finland

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
If the nhl were in the Olympics what would swedens roster be? I feel like they’d be pretty equal with Finland
Jesper Bratt - Elias Pettersson - William Nylander
Adrian Kempe - Mika Zibanejad - Filip Forsberg
Viktor Arvidsson - Elias Lindholm - Andre Burakovsky
Joel Eriksson Ek - William Karlsson - Rickard Rakell
Lucas Raymond, Mikael Backlund

Rasmus Dahlin - Mattias Ekholm
Hampus Lindholm - Erik Karlsson
Victor Hedman - Gustav Forsling
Adam Larsson - Rasmus Anderson

Linus Ullmark
Filip Gustafsson
Jacob Markström

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

Linus Ullmark
Filip Gustafsson
Jacob Markström
I think OEL makes it over forsling. Also a healthy Landeskog makes it. But for me me with the defence and Goaltending they are a tier above Finland.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sweden has had one of the best A squads out of all countries for a long time. As long as they have the quality they do, they’re a force.

Sometimes you go through droughts in these tournaments, but we also haven’t had any best on bests in a while.

They’ve iced a few thin teams in the last decade in the WHC’s when it comes to star power. Those teams, while still competitive, can lose to anyone.

Mister NJ Devil

May 17, 2023
Imagine drawing such a conclusion on the basis of a tournament made with slapdash rosters of NHL players eliminated from the playoffs who feel like playing in the tournament and euro pros who aren't good enough to or don't want to play in the NHL.
Theres no need to discredit the entire tournament; clearly it holds value to some, look at Latvia's response back home

Also those players might not normally get a chance to play

I dont see anything wrong with the tournament. Is it indicative of the world's best? Probably not but it still has a place in the hearts of many, and thats mostly Europeans (as they tend to actually have national pride)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Theres no need to discredit the entire tournament; clearly it holds value to some, look at Latvia's response back home

Also those players might not normally get a chance to play

I dont see anything wrong with the tournament. Is it indicative of the world's best? Probably not but it still has a place in the hearts of many, and thats mostly Europeans (as they tend to actually have national pride)

Wasn't really my argument. But yeah, I don't think it's fair to judge when Sweden didn't send their best players.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
The thread is quite useless for a simple reason. The strength of the rosters of all countries with NHL players and then if there was a collapse like for example elimination against Germany/Slovakia. Under such circumstances, I am willing to admit that Sweden is in crisis and the development program is failing.

A tournament where Canada/USA changes the roster every year or adds new and new players from the NCAA/AHL and third formations in the NHL is nothing to worry about. What Sweden is gradually failing at more and more is the illusion of SHL/NL quality. These leagues simply can't prepare players to compete against NA teams. The responsible people in Swedish hockey should therefore have a significantly narrowed range of players from Europe and their roles. I would definitely like to see 17-18 players from the NHL and only eight Europeans play at the next tournament in Prague next year. Unfortunately, the interview with Lundberg suggests that players from Europe are absolutely on the same level as those from the NHL. Dangerous thinking...

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Situation report. The thing is still the same.
To clarify: don't feed the troll, don't feed the troll :nono::doh:
thats funny coming from you, the only thing you do on this forum is making smilies and write stuff like "hahahaahaha lol hoho" and attacks me.

I have my opinion, and i backed it up with facts and common sense.

The thread is quite useless for a simple reason. The strength of the rosters of all countries with NHL players and then if there was a collapse like for example elimination against Germany/Slovakia. Under such circumstances, I am willing to admit that Sweden is in crisis and the development program is failing.

A tournament where Canada/USA changes the roster every year or adds new and new players from the NCAA/AHL and third formations in the NHL is nothing to worry about. What Sweden is gradually failing at more and more is the illusion of SHL/NL quality. These leagues simply can't prepare players to compete against NA teams. The responsible people in Swedish hockey should therefore have a significantly narrowed range of players from Europe and their roles. I would definitely like to see 17-18 players from the NHL and only eight Europeans play at the next tournament in Prague next year. Unfortunately, the interview with Lundberg suggests that players from Europe are absolutely on the same level as those from the NHL. Dangerous thinking...
Yeah both SHL and NLA is overated. Sweden should send a team full with NHLers and AHLers, even fringe NHLers.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Linus Ullmark
Filip Gustafsson
Jacob Markström

so.....they suck because a team with their 13th best Forward and none of their top 8 Defensemen or top 3 Goalies didn't do well in a single elimination tournament?

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
thats funny coming from you, the only thing you do on this forum is making smilies and write stuff like "hahahaahaha lol hoho" and attacks me.

Yeah both SHL and NLA is overated. Sweden should send a team full with NHLers and AHLers, even fringe NHLers.
I have just the smileys for you, clown:joker:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

You’re the one attacking yourself with these takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad