What's Sam Reinhart's Ceiling?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Oates had nearly the defensive chops that Francis (the Selke winner) did.

A slightly smaller Ron Francis might be the best comparable.
Oates was one of the greatest playmakers of all time. Reinhart's being hailed for his high IQ and amazing playmaking ability which is why their names cross paths. I see Reinhart as a playmaker that can put up 20 goals but finishes with 60 assists.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
This kid's going to be special. 70 point , two way force who will probably be the Sabres' next captain.

I'm okay with him returning to Junior. He gets off this trainwreck of a team, and with me living in Calgary, I'll get to see him live a few times this season.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I think a lot depends on how the rest of the roster fills out. If we go McEichel-Grigorenko down the middle then I could see him being a Hossa type riding shotgun with a generational talent. If we roll McEichel-Reinhart then his career probably unfolds more like a Ron Francis. If we finish out of the top 2 and end up Reinhart-Girgensons then he gets leaned on for a greater offensive role and the Adam Oats aspects will become his dominant attributes. Alternatively they could go Reinhart-Grigorenko and Toews will be the better comparison.

His ceiling encompasses all those players, it'll depend on his usage to determine how we look back at the sum of his career.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I think a lot depends on how the rest of the roster fills out. If we go McEichel-Grigorenko down the middle then I could see him being a Hossa type riding shotgun with a generational talent. If we roll McEichel-Reinhart then his career probably unfolds more like a Ron Francis. If we finish out of the top 2 and end up Reinhart-Girgensons then he gets leaned on for a greater offensive role and the Adam Oats aspects will become his dominant attributes. Alternatively they could go Reinhart-Grigorenko and Toews will be the better comparison.

His ceiling encompasses all those players, it'll depend on his usage to determine how we look back at the sum of his career.

Or you run:
1. McEichel
2. Girgensons - Reinhart - ????
3. Grigorenko

You have the Reinhart line doing the heavy defensive lifting while having decent offensive talent for a Bergeron-lite scenario.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Or you run:
1. McEichel
2. Girgensons - Reinhart - ????
3. Grigorenko

You have the Reinhart line doing the heavy defensive lifting while having decent offensive talent for a Bergeron-lite scenario.

that would be the McEichel-Reinhart lineup I mentioned

Bps21*

Thats the thing when talking about him...he's leadership, intelligence, playmaking, two way game...

You can look at 70 points and say...well as the top forward taken...but then you're ignoring that his two way game is beyond. He's not going to be one of those guys who gets some good totals but also gives up as much. He's more complete than anyone we have here.

I'll just use the hodgson comparison because it's so easy. Everytime someone points to hodgson having some pretty decent scoring numbers for his age and this team especially...you have to weigh in that no player on this roster gives up more defending than Cody hodgson. Now imagine the opposite. Especially when he gets bigger and stronger...and has two giant wingers on his side...

No worries about Reinhart. And if we are lucky enough to get a mceichel to go along with him...and a Girgensons...and grigorenko keeps on his path... Well...I mean... Imagine Girgensons on Reinhart's wing and the other wing being like hudson fasching ( I don't know where everyone else is with him...I'm at Jesus he's going to be good) that's a possession driving line with defensive responsibility that can score and has two big dudes who will go to dirty areas, hit and again can score.

Then you also get a scoring line with mceichel and a scoring line with grigorenko

I wish I had a time machine.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Thats the thing when talking about him...he's leadership, intelligence, playmaking, two way game...

You can look at 70 points and say...well as the top forward taken...but then you're ignoring that his two way game is beyond. He's not going to be one of those guys who gets some good totals but also gives up as much. He's more complete than anyone we have here.

I'll just use the hodgson comparison because it's so easy. Everytime someone points to hodgson having some pretty decent scoring numbers for his age and this team especially...you have to weigh in that no player on this roster gives up more defending than Cody hodgson. Now imagine the opposite. Especially when he gets bigger and stronger...and has two giant wingers on his side...

No worries about Reinhart. And if we are lucky enough to get a mceichel to go along with him...and a Girgensons...and grigorenko keeps on his path... Well...I mean... Imagine Girgensons on Reinhart's wing and the other wing being like hudson fasching ( I don't know where everyone else is with him...I'm at Jesus he's going to be good) that's a possession driving line with defensive responsibility that can score and has two big dudes who will go to dirty areas, hit and again can score.

Then you also get a scoring line with mceichel and a scoring line with grigorenko

And then you consider the defense. Myers-Risto-Zads-McCabe-Pysyk

I'm so pumped for the future of this team. It's just frustrating it can't get it faster, but when it does it's going to be amazing.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The sky is the limit, whether he becomes an elite player or just a good one will be up to him.

ZeroPT*

I love this post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad