What's Next

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Well with the addition of Dubnyk that gives us a decent NHL caliber goalie which also mean Hutton's probably done. But the true question is does this trade make us more competitive in Poile's mind. The answer in his mind is probably yes and we probably wont make anymore trades:shakehead. The next step Poile should take is get a decent top 6 forward (I'd cry tears of joy if that happened). But it is the one thing we desperately need. We found a taker for Hendricks's awful contract does that mean we might be able to fish Gaustad and Cullen and maybe get a bite. Hendricks was the one contract I thought we screwed the most up on (Besides 3.3mi to Goose to win faceoffs:shakehead). No we probably wont get a top 6 forward for a Cullen Gaustad trade unless they are a pending free agent. Maybe Package Spaling in a deal throw some picks in. Legwand is a big name that most of us Preds fans have said trade, but I'm borderline with the Legwand idea. If Leggy take a pay cut I'm all for keeping Leggy here, but what will we get out of trading Leggy probably not a first round pick. If we could package Leggy and get maybe Evander Kane from Winnipeg or Zibanejad from Ottawa I'd be down for trading him (HIGHLY UNLIKELY).

What are your guys thoughts on what Poile's next move is or do you think he wont make one.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Well with the addition of Dubnyk that gives us a decent NHL caliber goalie which also mean Hutton's probably done. But the true question is does this trade make us more competitive in Poile's mind. The answer in his mind is probably yes and we probably wont make anymore trades:shakehead. The next step Poile should take is get a decent top 6 forward (I'd cry tears of joy if that happened). But it is the one thing we desperately need. We found a taker for Hendricks's awful contract does that mean we might be able to fish Gaustad and Cullen and maybe get a bite. Hendricks was the one contract I thought we screwed the most up on (Besides 3.3mi to Goose to win faceoffs:shakehead). No we probably wont get a top 6 forward for a Cullen Gaustad trade unless they are a pending free agent. Maybe Package Spaling in a deal throw some picks in. Legwand is a big name that most of us Preds fans have said trade, but I'm borderline with the Legwand idea. If Leggy take a pay cut I'm all for keeping Leggy here, but what will we get out of trading Leggy probably not a first round pick. If we could package Leggy and get maybe Evander Kane from Winnipeg or Zibanejad from Ottawa I'd be down for trading him (HIGHLY UNLIKELY).

What are your guys thoughts on what Poile's next move is or do you think he wont make one.

I dont see poile trading assets to try to salvage this season. Dubnyk was obtained to try to keep us good enough to keep the team from totally tanking and running off fans. If the team strings a few wins together between now and the olys we may stand pat or even get a minor rental but if we are looking like we are out of it I see us selling guys like spaling and leggy at the deadlineg

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
If we could package Leggy and get maybe Evander Kane from Winnipeg or Zibanejad from Ottawa I'd be down for trading him (HIGHLY UNLIKELY).

Maybe if Poile got the Winnipeg GM really drunk.

If we want a guy like Kane, it's going to hurt. If I were the Jets and I was trading him in the division, i'd ask for Jones or Forsberg, then add.

What it's going to take to get a true top 6 scoring forward it's going to cost us more than we're going to want to give up.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I was shocked Poile made the move he did yesterday.

I don't think Poile is done.

Legwand and Spaling are moved near the deadline.

Possible blockbuster trade involving Wilson/Klein/unknown + if he gets aggressive.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If Wilson is moved it will be a trade the franchise regrets. I see John LeClair written all over that one. I think it would be a really bad move. Get a finisher to play with Wilson and it will all work out.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
They already tried to trade him once in a package for Nash

I bet the Preds were looking for a lot more than they are getting out of him this year.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think it is pretty obvious what happens next.

1. Move Legwand or Cullen (personally, I would keep Cullen, move legwand)
2. Move Spaling/Nystrom. Personally, I would move spalling.
3. I would move Ellis now when his value is higher than it was at the start of the year for a forward prospect.
4. Throw Wilson's name out into trade waters. I think if the right offer came along, we would move him for a different forward. Wilson really hasn't impressed me a whole lot since he came here. I think he has all the right tools but doesn't have a toolbox to put his tools in if that makes sense.
5. I would field offers for Weber, but I doubt any of them would be worth moving him (top 3 forward under age 26, locked up for at least five years, top 6 forward under age 30, and two mid tier defensive prospects, and a first at least).

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

3. I would move Ellis now when his value is higher than it was at the start of the year for a forward prospect.
4. Throw Wilson's name out into trade waters. I think if the right offer came along, we would move him for a different forward. Wilson really hasn't impressed me a whole lot since he came here. I think he has all the right tools but doesn't have a toolbox to put his tools in if that makes sense.
5. I would field offers for Weber, but I doubt any of them would be worth moving him (top 3 forward under age 26, locked up for at least five years, top 6 forward under age 30, and two mid tier defensive prospects, and a first at least).

1. Agreed
2. Keep Spaling, move Nystrom
3. agreed
4. Low Hockey IQ
5. That Top 3 F coming back MUST BE a Center, period

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

1. Agreed, though at the deadline when there will be the most bidders
2. See 1
3.Disagree. Unless someone overpays, I'd rather develop Ellis
4. I build the offense around Wilson, Smith, and Forsberg.
5. Agreed

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
GOTTA keep Ellis. He's been mostly terrific in his role. As lost as the Preds PP looks more often than not, somehow, it is running at 7th in the NHL, and Ellis has looked good on the second unit.

GOTTA try to move Legwand. Yes, he's the "face of the franchise" since time began, but he deserves a shot at the post season, and you give that to a guy who's been faithful for so long. He should also fetch a better return than Spaling, or Cullen, or Nystrom, or any of the other less-moving-parts. (although, being a big Kings fan, I would LOVE to see Lombardi figure out a way to grab Colin Wilson... ;) )

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I'd trade Cullen before Legwand. (re-sign him at less)
Unpopular opinion I know..........

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
If Wilson is moved it will be a trade the franchise regrets. I see John LeClair written all over that one. I think it would be a really bad move. Get a finisher to play with Wilson and it will all work out.

Yup, he has never had a finisher next to him. That's what's he needs

SeventyOneTN

Oct 26, 2009
I'd trade Cullen before Legwand. (re-sign him at less)
Unpopular opinion I know..........

I think it is more about what you might be able to get in trade. I wouldn't mind trading Legwand at the deadline for a first and then re-signing him this summer.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Are we over-estimating the value we'd get for Legwand? Just thinking about that; I don't know if we'd get something significant for him in trade.

I don't think so. Leggy has been a popular whipping boy around here for "not living up to" being the #2 in the draft, regardless of circumstances or performance. Solid 2-way player, good for 50 pts, handles the puck decently, and has an extra-gear in the POs.

I know we all think Poile overpaid for Goose, but Leggy is obviously considerably better than Goose, and you never know about the conditions that drive trade-deadline moves; if there are several teams looking we could certainly end up with a decent trade.

So, would anyone be unhappy with another FF? I realize Marty had another year on his contract, but Leggy>Marty.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Why anyone would even think about trading a Norris caliber defenseman is beyond me. Last few times a team has done it...STL traded Pronger to Edm and sucked for years. Edm traded Pronger to Ana, and still suck, traded Pronger to Philly, missed the playoffs and drafted Fowler (but also had Geztlaf, Perry and Ryan coming into their prime.)

There is a reason it isn't done. Because it is a stupid move to make by a team.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
One game. Just getting rid of Hendricks contract and a roster spot for a callup of Beck or Forsberg is worth getting a goalie who combined with Hutton will make us a better team.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Solid 2-way player, good for 50 pts, handles the puck decently, and has an extra-gear in the POs.
He's scored 50 points twice, but that's better than the usual generality thrown out of "50-60 point" center.

A contender will not want him on a scoring-line, unless they are desperate and have an injury. He's going to be 3-4th line material to them-- depth and insurance.

I'd guess a late first or B grade prospect + mid pick.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
He's scored 50 points twice, but that's better than the usual generality thrown out of "50-60 point" center.

A contender will not want him on a scoring-line, unless they are desperate and have an injury. He's going to be 3-4th line material to them-- depth and insurance.

I'd guess a late first or B grade prospect + mid pick.

Right now hes 66th in terms of points.. He's a good def responsible 2nd line center. Who has shown he can play wing i need be. To sudjest 4th(3-4) line is crazy.
This is a week draft and allot of teams lokong to make it. If we trade him and I don't think we will as we will make a push. Then a 1st + a long shot prospect. Is what im guessing he will get.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
A 2nd/3rd line vet center with tons of playoff experience at the deadline in a big time sellers market??

1st for sure.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
He's a good def responsible 2nd line center. Who has shown he can play wing i need be. To suggest 4th(3-4) line is crazy
Which one of these contenders is he going to un-seat as their top 2 line centers.

Krejici
Bergergon

Crosby
Malkin

Stamkos
Flipula + Purcell

Thornton
Pavelski

Among others...

And yes many contenders have 3rd liners better than Legwand. Plus, last time Legwand was regulated to the third line he had a 40 game goal drought.

I remain by my statement that Legwand is a 3rd-4th liner on a contender.

A "wannabe' may want to trade for him, but they are will remain wannabes.

I said I guess a 1st for him. That seems to be what everyone else says (+ maybe some take-a-flyer prospect). So there's no disagreement there.

Only reason he's getting a 1st is because he had a hot start to the season (and quickly asked for a contract extension--didn't get it--then quickly went back to normal Legwand). Any other year in the past 6, his value is a 2nd rd pick.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Which one of these contenders is he going to un-seat as their top 2 line centers.

Krejici
Bergergon

Crosby
Malkin

Stamkos
Flipula + Purcell

Thornton
Pavelski

Among others...

And yes many contenders have 3rd liners better than Legwand. Plus, last time Legwand was regulated to the third line he had a 40 game goal drought.

I remain by my statement that Legwand is a 3rd-4th liner on a contender.

A "wannabe' may want to trade for him, but they are will remain wannabes.

I said I guess a 1st for him. That seems to be what everyone else says (+ maybe some take-a-flyer prospect). So there's no disagreement there.

Only reason he's getting a 1st is because he had a hot start to the season (and quickly asked for a contract extension--didn't get it--then quickly went back to normal Legwand). Any other year in the past 6, his value is a 2nd rd pick.

You could've easily added LA Kings
Carter/Richards & Kopitar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad