What's more boring: all close games but a sweep, or all blowout games but it goes 7?

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Depends upon if your team is in it, and is the losing/winning team.

I would rank it like this:

1) A sweep but close games and your team is in it (and winning) -- must see TV
2) A sweep but close games and "neutral" teams -- every game is watchable.
3) 7-game blowouts and your team is playing -- every game your team is winning is watchable, prolly tune out the games your team is losing though.
4) A sweep but closes games and your team is in it (and losing) -- hard if not impossible to watch game 4.
5) 7-game blowouts between "neutral" teams -- check the scores and call it good.

Reactions: CanuckCity

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
Both are boring.

I believe the NHL (and NBA and MLB) would be wise to reduce it to a best of 5 at most, even better a best of 3 or single game elimination. Shorter series are much more intense because of the increased pressure and importance each game has.

Any given series, the first 4 games are like a prelude. And if there is a chance if elimination with them, it's already a 3-0 series.

Even if the league made it a best of 7 OR win 3 out if the first 4 it could add some intensity to the first 4 games.

I know people will retort never going to happen, too much money to lose, but I suspect that the shorter series (even a single game) would generate higher revenues in the long run via television money. The Grey Cup generates 3 to 4 million viewers, for a league where regular season games at the top end of the ratings may approach 500K. Why? Because there's a guaranteed crowning of a champion at the end of the game.

Reactions: awegrzyn

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
At least the sweep will be entertaining for the first 3 games. Close games are exciting to watch when you aren't a fan of one of the teams.

Blowouts aren't watchable for me when I don't have a team I am heavily invested in.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
You can only play 1 game at a time. I'd rather be entertained by a close game everytime I sit down to watch it. The only thing exciting about blowouts is how the losing team reacts.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Last years Boston vs Carolina series went 7 with both teams absolutely dominating at home. When each team got the matchups they wanted, they went to town. I can say as the team the was going to play game 7 on the road it was more helpless than exciting. I suspect Carolina fans would say the opposite.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Both types of series have traits that are a joy to watch. Every game being close is awesome during the moment. But after game 2, the games being close loses its luster when the team needing a win didn't get it. When it becomes a 2-0, then a 3-0 series, the next game just doesn't have the same level of excitement of series knotted up @ 1-1, 2-2, or 3-3. Even with each team trading blowouts, it's anyone series next game when it's 1-1. 2-2, 3-2, and a deciding game 7 if it reaches 3-3. A hard fought game 7 makes most forget how the teams got to game 7.

Early on = Doesn't matter
After game 2 = Series being even is best, no matter how

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
It seems like every year the first round is more entertaining than subsequent rounds.

What could be the reason for this?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I mean other than new teams advancing the actual games are pretty terrible outside of the Leafs ones because at least they are close.
Not really, the Vegas and Edmonton game is very entertaining and intense and has lots of fights? Is that boring?? The Seattle and Dallas game has lots of speed and goal scoring? Boring?? Hockey fans just seem to want games to be fixed where everything is even, penalties, scores etc. That doesn't happen in reality and that's why we watch the games for upsets, blowouts, fights etc. What would be more boring is if every game is 1-1 and everything is even and then you will get fans here saying why the scoring is low and boring. It's kind of comical that whatever type of game is played, people will still be complaining about it being boring lol. If it's boring then watch UFC or WWE lol. I don't watch the games because of the number on the score board, I watch it because of developing rivalries and the intensity of the game which is very high

It seems like every year the first round is more entertaining than subsequent rounds.

What could be the reason for this?
The reason is because you have more team involved and more games to watch

Reactions: 11Messier

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Games 6 and 7s are prime hockey. As a neutral, sweeps kill the series for me even if the games are close. Just not enough time to get into the series.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Close games even if series ends in 4/5 games! These blowout games are not fun to watch it’s anticlimactic you know who’s going to win each game lol

Reactions: cole von cole

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Give me close games even if it's a sweep or 4-1.

Blowouts get boring unless it's in the third because most of the time the losing team just isn't dialed in for the comeback.
Exactly! I’d rather watch a game ending 3-2 than one ending 6-1 unless it’s my team doing the punishing lol

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Blowouts are more boring, unless there's several line brawls per game. I'd still rather see closer games, though.

kylek023

Oct 22, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Jets vs Oilers series in the bubble was extremely entertaining and it was a sweep.
the blow outs this round have been sooooooo boring as neutral fans

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Already answered earlier in thread, but now with ECF & WCF both @ 0-2, after 4 OT games. I gotta say this scenario kinda stinks, even though all 4 games were close. Both these series should probably be 1-1 but we all got 0-2 instead. That's a shame, but Florida & Vegas fans are happy.... lol

Coming back can be done. Just last years ECF, the Lightning came back from 0-2 start against Rangers. Very tough hole to climb up from, but if your team does it, get ready for an intense ride. It was awesome to witness but we were drained after that. Then Lightning followed that with 0-2 start in finals. I can only imagine the toll 0-2 hole has on players & staff.

This question by thread starter has all kinds of layers to it, like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad