Whats have the oilers done to make you smile .

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
My best moments being an oiler fan
1.Standing inline getting my son an ice cream and he started acting up wanting two scoops, not just one . I said to my boy that I can't afford two scoops and Craig McTavish was inline and overheard what I said and ended up buying me and my son's ice creams.

2.Glen Andersson giving me an autograph in front of my girlfriend I was dating at the time. At that time it was next to impossible to get Glens autograph.

3.Doing some in-home service for an Oiler and for a tip I was given 200 dollars and 2 gold seat tickets. (side note I did about 2 hundred dollars work at no charge and I still work part-time for the company)
4.My greatest moment ..being at the Market sq downtown and running into Glenn Sather and we chatted and what was cool was he treated me like I was a grown-up and was super respectful to my momma.

With all the negativity going on I thought some positive news would be welcomed

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
They didn't string us along with false hope this year. Instead of getting swept by Vegas in the first round it was a mercy kill during the play-ins.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
My dad had a split of season tickets with a bunch of his collegues back at Rexall. He ended up having some work function so he gave his tickets to me and a buddy.... first time I had gotten the opportunity to go with a friend. This was back in the dark ages and it was against Chicago when they were one of the best teams in the league. It was February in a lost season, but hey my buddy and I had just turned 18 so we really couldn't lose.

It ended up being the Gagner 8 point night. Needless to say that is a memory I will never forget. My dad hasn't passed up on tickets since :laugh::laugh:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
1. Acquiring Chris Pronger
2. Going to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2006 (wasn't alive during the cup years)
3. Winning the 2010 draft lottery and selecting Taylor Hall
4. Whipping Calgary in the first game in the 2010/2011 season with Hall and Eberle on the roster. I still remember the icing on the cake was when Steve Macintyre knocked out Calgary's goon (forgot his name because I'm pretty sure his career ended shortly after)
5. Winning the draft lottery in 2015 and selecting Connor McDavid.
6. McDavid's first game as an Oiler.
7. The Oilers making the playoffs in 2016/2017.
8. The Oilers beating the San Jose Sharks in the first round in 2016/2017.
9. The Oilers being in the play-in round this year.
10. Draisaitl winning the Art Ross.

Kind of sad list as far as team success goes but these were the moments that brought a smile to my face :nod:

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
gyi0061889303.0.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In 05-06 I lobbied the Oilers to make available a family pack promotion for people with families that could not afford regular price of games. I specifically noted that several clubs were putting together this kind of goodwill package after the lockout as a gesture to its fans. I posted threads on this here and elsewhere and the threads were cross cited to the Oilers org. Along with citations on the packages all other teams were putting together. just so that the Oilers HAD to look at all that information first hand.

After humming and hawing they did put together an 8 game package (reduced profile games) where 2K gallery seats were made available(per 8 games) at half price per ticket. Afairc worked out to 24bucks a ticket at the time. Many people I know, and people from this board bought some of those tickets and had a good time that year as it was the best Oilers club in ages. Myself we went to 7 of those games and gave away the other pair to a mother and daughter.

I'm just mentioning something that was personal, that put a smile on my face.

Not gonna post on favorite game memories as thats been done so many times before.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Overall Top 5 Smiles:

1. Hemsky Game 6 GWG vs Detroit in the '06 Playoffs
2. Pisani Game 5 OT winner vs Canes in the '06 Playoffs
3. Kelfbom tying goal and Desharnais OT winner in Game 5 vs SJS in the '17 Playoffs
4. Gagner 8 point night
5. McDavid goal in first game back after collarbone injury in rookie year vs CBJ

HM - Kassian train-wrecking Couture and fellow Sharks in Game 2 of the '17 Playoffs

2019-2020 Top 5 Smiles:

1. Final BOA game with goalie fight Smith vs Talbot (and the shellacking and embarrassment of the Lames on the scoreboard)
2. Drasiatl 4 goal game vs Nashville
3. Final BOA game with Nuge vs Monahan fight
4. DRY line every moment from conception to season end
5. McDavid goal in season opener vs Canucks after the knee rehab saga

HM - Yamamoto opening goal in Final BOA game and his celly / mockery of Rittich

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Like others, I'm an old guy that lived through the 80's teams and stuck through the 90's (at one point the radio station I worked at had Oiler's rights and met a lot of them), and beyond to today.

But the disappointment of the last decade + has tempered expectations quite a bit.

Best recent smile: The last BOA of the season, Talbot/Smith, Kassian retribution, and the final score.

It reminded me of what it's like to be soooo excited before a game with all the hype that was happening going into it, getting settled in front of the big screen and then actually watching a game involving the Oilers that went above and beyond the hype and was such a blood pumping out-of-seat watching spectacle in which they finally brought it all together.

Best hockey experience in years with that game. Restored my faith as a fan.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Oilers were like cocaine since they were great in the 80's but by the 90's they made you feel sick and miserable. Yup, perfect analogy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad