Speculation: What's going on with Judd Brackett?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I really dont read the same thing into that quote and you guys at all. Did he say more or something? This is how this kind of talk gets crazy...
I mean we had this thread long before the quote. There is obviously smoke here. And Linden’s comments certainly don’t quell the concern.

It’s just shocking to me so many people are content to just ignore the evidence, since it’s not proof.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I am shocked in the opposite respect. How people could at all conclude this based on the evidence presented.

Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or strengthens one's prior personal beliefs or hypotheses. It is a type of cognitive bias

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
He was also extremely high on Pettersson.

"Canucks general manager Jim Benning first saw Pettersson at the 2017 world junior championship. And even though he only had one assist in six games (Sweden placed fourth), Benning couldn’t take his eyes off him.
“Every time he touched the puck, he made something happen,” recalled Benning. “That’s the first thing that jumped out at me — his ability and vision to see where everybody was. And with the accurate release on his shot, he didn’t take much time and could rip it.”..Ben Kuzma,Sun

Can you link me to that article, I wouldnt mind reading it or seeing when it was written.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In the interview Linden claims he gave every department the 'autonomy' to do their jobs..whether it be player development, pro scouting or whatever..Not just amateur scouting.

He also spoke of how proud he was of the players the scouting staff selected through the years "we wanted to create an open forum, and not worry about having a different opinion than anyone else..I wanted to create an environment of 'lets debate'.."

Of course, some posters here are creating some dramatic false narratives about a 'fractured room'..'over riding the GM".....nonsense.....They went through the process, and picked the right player

confirmation-bias.png

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The team President confirmed he needed to give Judd Brackett the autonomy to draft Pettersson.

A Canucks-accredited media member has confirmed that Linden overruled Benning in favour of Bracket.

A respected poster here has confirmed that Thomas Gradin has said that Benning didn't want Pettersson.

Benning himself confirmed there was a 'major internal divide' over the pick ... which would be impossible if Benning was on board, given that we know Linden/Brackett/Gradin/Delorme were all in favour of Pettersson.

None of the media shills have ever given credit to Benning for that pick.

Benning tried to trade down.

Benning's body language, demeanor, and discussion of the pick were a polar opposite of his behaviour when we took players we knew he wanted in Juolevi and Hughes.

Now obviously some of that stuff gets thinner as it goes down, but it's all evidence and it paints a pretty clear picture of what happened.

So you have literally zero evidence, since your one bit of evidence also supports my conclusion which is actually backed by evidence.

If this same discussion was happening about the Podkolzin pick, your argument would make sense, since the buck now stops at Benning. At the time, the buck stopped at Linden and the fact that the Canucks drafted Pettersson is evidence of nothing, since both our versions would end with ... the Canucks drafting Pettersson.

The team president did not confirm that. He said he gave him more autonomy. There is nothing beyond that in his quote, and certainly not what you're implying.

Can you provide links for either of the bolded? I believe it violates the rules of this site to claim insider knowledge without any evidence whatsoever to support it

Internal divide sounds a lot more innocuous than your theory, and could be something as simple as scouts arguing with one another, as I quoted in the Vancouver Courier article.

It's not evidence, it's all smoke and mirrors and reading things into a situation that doesn't actually appear to be there. I don't need evidence as it's what happened in the real world. You are the one claiming that Benning was against the Petterson pick and was also overruled. It's the onus of the person making a claim to provide proof not the onus of everyone else to disprove the claim. You have not provided a shred of evidence that actually confirms your theory.

It's the equivalent of me quoting “If somebody asked me to come up with a mental image of my hockey career, there is absolutely no doubt I would be wearing the uniform of the Vancouver Canucks in it.” and stating there it is, there is evidence that Benning wanted Petterson badly. It's now indisputable, carved in stone, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: F A N

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The team President confirmed he needed to give Judd Brackett the autonomy to draft Pettersson.

A Canucks-accredited media member has confirmed that Linden overruled Benning in favour of Bracket.

A respected poster here has confirmed that Thomas Gradin has said that Benning didn't want Pettersson.

Benning himself confirmed there was a 'major internal divide' over the pick ... which would be impossible if Benning was on board, given that we know Linden/Brackett/Gradin/Delorme were all in favour of Pettersson.

None of the media shills have ever given credit to Benning for that pick.

Benning tried to trade down.

Benning's body language, demeanor, and discussion of the pick were a polar opposite of his behaviour when we took players we knew he wanted in Juolevi and Hughes.

Now obviously some of that stuff gets thinner as it goes down, but it's all evidence and it paints a pretty clear picture of what happened.

So you have literally zero evidence, since your one bit of evidence also supports my conclusion which is actually backed by evidence.

If this same discussion was happening about the Podkolzin pick, your argument would make sense, since the buck now stops at Benning. At the time, the buck stopped at Linden and the fact that the Canucks drafted Pettersson is evidence of nothing, since both our versions would end with ... the Canucks drafting Pettersson.

Add Inge Hammarstrom and the analytics guys as well.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He was also extremely high on Pettersson.

"Canucks general manager Jim Benning first saw Pettersson at the 2017 world junior championship. And even though he only had one assist in six games (Sweden placed fourth), Benning couldn’t take his eyes off him.
“Every time he touched the puck, he made something happen,” recalled Benning. “That’s the first thing that jumped out at me — his ability and vision to see where everybody was. And with the accurate release on his shot, he didn’t take much time and could rip it.”..Ben Kuzma,Sun

What does that have to do with juolevi being a Benning pick?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
You’re already seeing it in the management thread. Blaming the president for WD, should also reflect poorly on the lame duck GM, no? Or he wasn’t a lame duck and was complicit in the hire. That latter makes more sense to me.

It’s funny. Benning gets praise for Brackett and Ian Clark but none for Dejardins. It’s almost like an agenda to also find the best light for the GM above anything. makes you wonder if he was even making any calls....

It's common knowledge among the dialled in posters on this board that Willie Desjardins was a Trevor Linden hire, and then Linden refused to fire him ; and it was his call. If you don't want to take my word for it, ask MS or any of the other guys that pay attention. I don't feel like rubbing your nose in it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Benning LITERALLY JUST TOLD US that he made the executive decision on the Pettersson pick by giving Brackett autonomy to pick his guy.
True, ..At the end of the day..after all the 'healthy' internal debate about the selection.. Benning still has to 'sign off' on the pick..

Reactions: Jimbo57

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's common knowledge among the dialled in posters on this board that Willie Desjardins was a Trevor Linden hire, and then Linden refused to fire him ; and it was his call. If you don't want to take my word for it, ask MS or any of the other guys that pay attention. I don't feel like rubbing your nose in it.

I believe that Willie's 3rd awful year probably happened because Linden protected him, but I don't for a second believe Willie was initially a 100% Linden hiring.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
True, ..At the end of the day..after all the 'healthy' internal debate about the selection.. Benning still has to 'sign off' on the pick..

No, he didn't. Linden is his boss. Linden was sitting at the draft table and was the guy who had the ultimate say.

In 2019, Benning had the final say and sign-off on Podkolzin. No argument there. This was not how it worked in 2017.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I believe that Willie's 3rd awful year probably happened because Linden protected him, but I don't for a second believe Willie was initially a 100% Linden hiring.

Why do you believe Linden protected him?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Linden LITERALLY JUST TOLD US that he made the executive decision on the Pettersson pick by giving Brackett autonomy to pick his guy.

That doesn't mean Benning wasn't on board with that pick or was fighting against it. An "executive decision" could have been well there were other scouts wanting to draft Glass but Brackett and other scouts wanted to pick Petey. Ultimately I let Brackett make the pick. You are creating your own narrative here and so can I.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
No, he didn't. Linden is his boss. Linden was sitting at the draft table and was the guy who had the ultimate say.

In 2019, Benning had the final say and sign-off on Podkolzin. No argument there. This was not how it worked in 2017.
There's no evidence of Benning being opposed to the pick....(how you got from TL giving each Canuck hockey department 'autonomy' to TL over riding Benning is beyond me)..In fact, didnt Benning point EP out at the draft before the selection,...I remember him getting mocked about that...

Sorry, not buying it

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
How has the discussion gone on this long and not a single person has thought maybe it was John Weisbrod that wasn't on board with the pick? The guy that was reportedly hard headed in dealing with the scouting staff, and happens to occupy a very powerful position in the organisation, and on the amateur side.

Seems very strange nobody has thought of this yet.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There's no evidence of Benning being opposed to the pick....(how you got from TL giving each Canuck hockey department 'autonomy' to TL over riding Benning is beyond me)..In fact, didnt Benning point EP out at the draft before the selection,...I remember him getting mocked about that...

Sorry, not buying it

1) His quotes yesterday are referring specifically to the Pettersson pick and giving Brackett autonomy to make that particular selection. Not some generic, 'oh, I like giving people autonomy' sort of thing.

2) There is no evidence of Benning being in favour of the pick. There is plenty that he was opposed to it.

3) These discussions would happened in the days leading up to the draft. On draft day, of course Benning was going to be a good soldier and go along with the pick.

Reactions: I am toxic

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How has the discussion gone on this long and not a single person has thought maybe it was John Weisbrod that wasn't on board with the pick? The guy that was reportedly hard headed in dealing with the scouting staff, and happens to occupy a very powerful position in the organisation, and on the amateur side.

Seems very strange nobody has thought of this yet.

Because Benning is Weisbrod's boss.

If Benning and Brackett were on the same page, what Weisbrod thought would be irrelevant and Linden wouldn't have had to intervene.

Reactions: rypper

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That doesn't mean Benning wasn't on board with that pick or was fighting against it. An "executive decision" could have been well there were other scouts wanting to draft Glass but Brackett and other scouts wanted to pick Petey. Ultimately I let Brackett make the pick. You are creating your own narrative here and so can I.

Literally every important scout (Gradin, Delorme, Hammarstrom) is documented as being in support of the pick in addition to Linden and Brackett.

Benning himself has commented on the 'huge internal divide' about the pick.

Do the math.

If Benning, Brackett, Gradin, and Delorme were all on the same page, why in the hell would Linden be stepping in to give Brackett autonomy to pick his guy?

Reactions: Jyrki21 and vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad