What's going on with Erik Karlsson?

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Injury, hasn't been the same - not even close to last season. His skating is key, impacts everything. His mind has not adjusted to his body's limits yet.
Affects everything, his ability to catch up to plays, skate up the puck, hold in the puck at the line, dance the blue line, quickly recover loose pucks in the D-zone, keep up with D-zone defense, etc. Everything.
He has delegated more of his defensive responsibilities that requires 'chasing' the skater more than ever before.

Even in his first several games where he got points, he wasn't 'good' either. In fact not very good - relative to his usual play.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Methot was terrible last year and Karlsson carried him defensively, not the other way around.

Karlsson is just still nursing an injury. And despite the many visible mistakes, Sens are still giving up fewer shots in the center of the defensive zone and close to the net - where most goals are scored - when he's on the ice. Plus/minus is misleading as usual.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
With no off-season training this was inevitably going to be a down year. It will probably take him at least a month or two more to catch up, if he ever does this season.
I've run into people in this community who are livid that I don't have him as a Norris finalist. I'm starting to wonder if they even watch hockey

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
-8 in 7 games is actually an improvement. Usually he's -6 in 1 game.

giphy.gif

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Karlson has no points and is a -8 in his last 7 games (in which the Senators haven't won, and have only recorded one point). Is something wrong?

What do you mean "is something wrong"? Of course there is otherwise he wouldn't be 0 points and -8 in his last 7 games...

1) He hasn't played well at all.

2) The Sens haven't played well at all.

3) He seems to be out of shape from missing off season training / training camp / the start of the season.

4) His mobility isn't where it needs to be after the off-season surgery he had.

5) The Sens powerplay is one of the worst powerplays I've seen in my entire life watching NHL hockey, and this is coming from a fan of a team who has almost always had a horrible powerplay since Spezza left.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I get tired of the non stop threads, but C'mon. Even when guys return from injury, they are not 100%
We're seeing the same thing with Lindholm,Fowler and Vats.
Probably start to see Karlsson round into form after the holidays as his fitness/health improve

Reactions: MajorLeafsFan

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
I get tired of the non stop threads, but C'mon. Even when guys return from injury, they are not 100%
We're seeing the same thing with Lindholm,Fowler and Vats.
Probably start to see Karlsson round into form after the holidays as his fitness/health improve
This is probably fair, but remember what happened when he started this year. I think he's suffering from a Playoff hangover (in which he played every game injured), and really though, you can't be a 2 point per game defenceman for an entire year. He will round into form, just probably won't be the same this year.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Makes sense. I don't know how the Senators are gonna make the playoffs this year if Karlson can't step up.
If Karlsson and our goaltending dont play better, we are not making the playoffs. Also our special teams are a disaster, but Karlsson right now is a shadow of his former self. We are in trouble!!! :help:

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Injury, no question..He might adjust to some degree, but this is the 2nd time he'll never be the same...

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
If Karlsson and our goaltending dont play better, we are not making the playoffs. Also our special teams are a disaster, but Karlsson right now is a shadow of his former self. We are in trouble!!! :help:
I'd definitely agree, but at least you have a better PP than :cbj

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad