OT: What's Better: Fresh or Canned Cranberry Sauce ?

What's better? Fresh or canned cranberry sauce

• Total voters

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
We always put out the Ocean Spray jellied canned sauce in the center of this tray. Sweet gherkins in one compartment, olives in one caddy-corner from the gherkins, and cubed Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar cheese in the remaining two compartments.

One of my favorite Thanksgiving memories is watching my dad putting this tray together every year. Mom gave it to me a couple years ago. It's nothing special as kitchenware goes, but I love the memories associated with it.

I have always loved Thanksgiving. :heart: But not cranberry sauce lol

View attachment 481548
My mom has/had something very similar

Reactions: Bruinaura

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I wish they had asked what the correct ratio of cool whip to pumpkin pie is.

I am fully in this camp:

download (15).jpeg

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
We always put out the Ocean Spray jellied canned sauce in the center of this tray. Sweet gherkins in one compartment, olives in one caddy-corner from the gherkins, and cubed Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar cheese in the remaining two compartments.

One of my favorite Thanksgiving memories is watching my dad putting this tray together every year. Mom gave it to me a couple years ago. It's nothing special as kitchenware goes, but I love the memories associated with it.

I have always loved Thanksgiving. :heart: But not cranberry sauce lol

View attachment 481548
I love this ^^^^. Sweet memories.
I lost both parents decades ago and this time of the year it hits deep.
Anyway, my mother didn't like things to be too sweet and she hated feeding us from a can, so she made her own with a little brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and orange juice plus a bit of rind from the oranges IIRC. Going to watch some YouTube tutorials and try to make it myself this year.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Canned but not canned whole berry.

it's a texture thing.
Yup. Canned. Can’t take the texture either. Funny story…..when I started dating my wife, I’d go to her side to eat a thanksgiving at noon. They had the homemade sauce. I couldn’t take it. Following year, my wife would get me the canned. Little by little , the canned started to take over. No one wanted to eat her gramma’s sauce anymore. What a jerk huh?:D

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
At least I've had cranberry sauce. Candy corn was a complete mystery to me! But only ever from a can/jar. One day I'd like to be in the USA at Thanksgiving time and experience the whole thing for myself.
The great thing about Thanksgiving is that everyone's traditions are so diverse.

Growing up it used to be this big gathering at my grandparents or we would go to CT to my mom's side. In the past 10 years we spent it with my mom's side either at my uncle's or they would come up to our house.

This is my first Thanksgiving away from my mom and sister due to the move and cost of getting out there so I am going to my aunt's nearby (dad's sister).

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
If I learned to cook by watching my mother, I'd starve to death. She couldn't make ice cubes, even with a recipe, and once burned a pot of water. My dad, on the other hand was a gourmet cook, so we definitely ate well.

As to the poll, canned, homemade, jellied, whole berry, orange, spiced; any cranberry is good for me.
Your mom is like my dad, couldn't fry an egg to save his life. My mom was a great cook. But when I was younger I didn't like everything she cooked. She was cooking Regional Azorian food.

I wanted Burgers fries, pizza or any Canadian food. When I moved out and called her asking for instructions on how to cook her recipes I realized she was a great cooked but not great on how to teach it. She didn't measure nothing it was all by feeling. My older sister was trained to cook and maintain a household as a teenager. Today we share techniques on cooking.

The first time i cooked a recipe for cranberry sauce ( we haven't grow up eating turkey at all, first turkey we had I was 26 years old, my mom never cooked a turkey before.) I was blown away how good it was, up till then I only had the canned version which I found too bitter for my liking.

The recipe called for slowly cooking it until some of the cranberries start to burst initially. I was blown away by the complexity of flavors and freshness of it, having them burst in my mouth with all their juices was a game changer. I never looked back.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad