What's been the worst season for you? (Post 2006)

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I would have normally said this season. Fortunately I finally lost all hope and decided to use my oilers game money to travel to wales for a six nations game. Millenium stadium was awsome. Thank you oilers...:thumbu:

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
For me, this season.

Last summer I found a whole bunch of excuses to rationalize last season.

"hey, maybe they have improved the goaltending"
"hey, now that they're getting used to Eakins they'll have a better year"
"heyyy MacTavish brought in free agents. That should shore up some weak spots"
"heyyyyy they got rid of Steve Smith and Kelly Buchberger, maybe that will help Eakins."

Fast forward a few months and all of that was just a bunch of wishful thinking. I conned myself into buying into all that crap because I desperately wanted it to be true.

And now here we are and it's painfully obvious how far we are from being a good hockey team, let alone passing all of the teams standing between us and a playoff spot.

We've been trying to climb this mountain for 5 years by Lowe's estimate or 7-8 years by more realistic estimates, and we are still standing at the bottom. There is not one visible indication of progress in any aspect of this organization. That is on Kevin Lowe.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
every single season has been worse than the season before it.

g9mq72X.jpg

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
This year. Because we got hot at the end and that proved we sucked for no reason and it cost us McDavid.

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site
Without a doubt this year. It all came to a head for this team and for me.

This was the year that I finally lost hope that the current regime have any clue as to how to fix this mess. As crazy as it sounds, once upon a time I really did think MacTavish had it in him to be a good GM. Boy, was I ever mistaken.

From the very top, the management structure of this organization is a complete and utter disaster, full of the worst kind of idiocy: The arrogant kind. There's nobody that deserves an outright dismissal more than these old boys club members, but the one person that can make it happen simply refuses to do it. And on it goes.

Also, this year seems to have been the one that has truly broken the spiritual back of the fanbase. Even the gallows humour in past death marches to close a season out has run dry for the most part. Now it's just blank stares and futile hammering against prison walls, which is truly sad.

The one thing that still infuriates me though, is how the local media will dance around the topic of MacTavish and Lowe. They'll trash the team's record of playoff futility, trash Katz, trash coaches and especially players with impunity...but it sure is curious how rare it is that those two sacred cows get spared from any harsh criticism. It drives me crazy.

It's almost like they realize that there is an not-so-invisible line that they know they can't cross if they don't want their access to the team and the perks that go along with it immediately revoked. And no, I don't consider the latest scrawls from the Journal's Cult of Hockey blog, in particular Staples and Willis, to count for much. It's not like they have any access to take away, and I doubt the majority of Oiler fans (i.e. the non-hardcore fanbase that doesn't hang around internet message boards hours every day) care much about what Staples and Willis have to say.

On the whole, there's never been a worse time to be emotionally invested to this team, and I can't think of an Oiler team in my 35 years of watching them that was harder to like...not because of the players on the ice, but because of the ownership and management. They truly are doing long term harm to the entire Oilers brand that will take a long time to fix, and it seems like not a thing can be done to stop them. :help:
:handclap:Post of the year for me. Precisely how I feel and next year I won't be watching many games. I am done trying to have any hope Katz will do what is necessary to turn this ship around. The Oilers are a country club and I don't place as much blame on the players and coaches when upper management has never been held accountable. I have been reading numerous people not bothering to renew season tickets, the dwindling number of people attending games and how the youth just aren't watching the Oilers and yet the status quo is acceptable. That b.s. video with propaganda minister Stauffer extolling the future was utter and complete crap.
As far as I am concerned take down that awful chop wood carry water and put up all hat no cattle.
Noticing the Leafs cleaned house, the Oilers we did an internal audit and nothing is wrong. Who the hell would have any hope for this franchise.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
All of them. Haven't given a single **** about this sad sack franchise since 2010. Watched maybe 5 games this season.

Much better rooting interests in sports to spend my hard earned money and time on.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
2009-2010 was the worst for me. The Oilers coming in dead last for the first time in franchise history. The Oilers were stuck with overpaid salaries to duds like Horcoff and Hemsky we had Nikolai Khabibulin who was washed up and Devan Dubnyk who could not stop a beach ball. The team was awful and we knew we were stuck with much of the this same team for the next few years. I do have to admit though this year I watch the least amount of Oilers games. The team was so bad under Eakins. Once they got the new coach and started playing better I started to watch some games on occasion.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Noticing the Leafs cleaned house, the Oilers we did an internal audit and nothing is wrong. Who the hell would have any hope for this franchise.

Whatever happened to that fricking "internal audit" anyway? I haven't heard anything about it or about Bob Nicholson for months.

Did they make Bob Nicholson "disappear" to prevent the results of the "audit" from being released? Is Bob now entombed in concrete under the Rogers Place construction, or sunk in the North Saskatchewan River?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
dallas_eakins.jpg

Is the worst era in Oiler history IMO.

Partly given the talent.

At least they were watchable under Nelson aside from the unfortunate stretch where Petry, Fayne, Nikitin (lol), and Ference were all taken away from his blue line.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
This season. 0-5 start.

This season was without a doubt over 5 games in.

They actually won the next 5. I watched them do it. And I still knew in my heart after that 5th win that the season was over. they even looked bad winning.

This year could totally redeem itself if we won the lottery though.

But it has gotten so bad that I don't even think McDavid could do anything for this sorry franchise.

It feels like the soul of the team was sold and there's just an empty husk. Everyone who comes to play here has the life and will to compete sucked out of them.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Last year, or the first year under Mactavish. That was the year of the death of my fandom for the team.

Now I watch the team purely as a bemused spectator of a disaster. There is no anticipation for future games, no anguish when they lose games, and I hold no hope for the future of the franchise.

Maybe one day when Mact/Lowe are flushed from the franchise like the turds they are, I'll be able to become a fan again. I have no idea if I'll even be alive then though, a lot can happen in 10 - 20 years :laugh:

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Whatever happened to that fricking "internal audit" anyway? I haven't heard anything about it or about Bob Nicholson for months.

Did they make Bob Nicholson "disappear" to prevent the results of the "audit" from being released? Is Bob now entombed in concrete under the Rogers Place construction, or sunk in the North Saskatchewan River?

If we don't see concrete changes over the course of the off season (basically as of right now), then it was just another propaganda tool to give the OBC some legitimacy and quiten the loud grumblings coming from the fans/media.

If an actual audit was done, it will be very interesting watching what happens to management this summer.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto

Craig MacAtaracts

Visually...
Mar 11, 2013
This year, easily.

Every year, I'd watch about 1-2 NHL games almost every day, catching about 60-70 Oilers games. I'd take trade deadline day off work/school. I'd follow CHL as best I could. Not only was I a die hard Oilers fan, I was an avid hockey fan.

This year, after about 20-30 games in, I gave up. I can deal with cheering for a losing team, that is not the problem. I cannot, however, deal with cheering for an organization that treats its fans like dirt. To make matters worse, the Oilers left me with such a huge distaste for watching hockey I'm not even sure if I have watched a hockey game in 2015 yet (the only thing I know for sure I have watched this year was the All-Star draft, not even the game or the skills competition). No NHL, No CHL, no hockey. I like to think I was knowledgable about what was going on around the league--I knew about 80-90% of every team's prospects and I could name every NHL player by number, position, points, etc. Now, to show you how neglected hockey has become in my life, I am just now finding out the Jaromir Jagr was playing for the Panthers. The only reason I knew the NHL season came to an end was because I was watching a Chicago Cubs game and the announcers were talking about how 5/7 Canadian NHL teams made the playoffs--before I'd freak out over something like that, but now, doooooooon't caaaaare.

TL;DR - Thank you Edmonton Oilers for making me hate hockey!

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
This year, easily.

Every year, I'd watch about 1-2 NHL games almost every day, catching about 60-70 Oilers games. I'd take trade deadline day off work/school. I'd follow CHL as best I could. Not only was I a die hard Oilers fan, I was an avid hockey fan.

This year, after about 20-30 games in, I gave up. I can deal with cheering for a losing team, that is not the problem. I cannot, however, deal with cheering for an organization that treats its fans like dirt. To make matters worse, the Oilers left me with such a huge distaste for watching hockey I'm not even sure if I have watched a hockey game in 2015 yet (the only thing I know for sure I have watched this year was the All-Star draft, not even the game or the skills competition). No NHL, No CHL, no hockey. I like to think I was knowledgable about what was going on around the league--I knew about 80-90% of every team's prospects and I could name every NHL player by number, position, points, etc. Now, to show you how neglected hockey has become in my life, I am just now finding out the Jaromir Jagr was playing for the Panthers. The only reason I knew the NHL season came to an end was because I was watching a Chicago Cubs game and the announcers were talking about how 5/7 Canadian NHL teams made the playoffs--before I'd freak out over something like that, but now, doooooooon't caaaaare.

TL;DR - Thank you Edmonton Oilers for making me hate hockey!

I was never this into it, but I sure as hell was living vicariously through the oilers, which can never be a good thing. Now I have more time to concentrate on more constructive aspects in my life.

There's always a silver lining people. Think of it as freeing up 240 hours a year to improve ourselves and spend our hard-earned money elsewhere.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
last year there were some pleasant surprises. It seemed like goaltending was maybe improving, and Perron looked like a decent player. Eakins' system fell apart and there was some obvious holes to fill.

Then this year....starting with the Tkachev signing gaff....it was just apparent that Mac T was incompetent and doing nothing to fix anything....the ridiculous amount of games it took to get rid of Eakins....just watching him drive the season right off the cliff night after night....

and the absurdity of Mac T's core....Drai missing the WJC....Brad Hunt....Matt Fraser....Will ****ing Acton....Chabot....

just awful...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ever since MacT took over and then hired clown shoes Eakins. Times were better under Nelson for sure but MacT has done little to lose the moniker of the dumbest man in hockey.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
Definitely this year. I finally realized there is no hope for this team and that no meaningful changes will ever be made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad